Anyone going to Charlies Gravel dash at the weekend?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone going to Charlies Gravel dash at the weekend?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Anyone going to Charlies Gravel dash at the weekend?
  • Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Yes.

Got to shift a nasty cold first though. Just eaten a chilli and ginger heavy lunch to see if that helps.

flashes

Oh yes. I’m not riding on the Saturday, as I think I’ll need all my energy for Sunday. Current plan is using my fixed Karate Monkey…..

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

fixed Karate Monkey

Good to hear. I’m on a ss rigid 29er. Was a bit worried that everyone else would be on cx bikes.

bikebouy

No, CX bikes in for SRAM recall πŸ™„
    Niners in bits having some replacements put on it..

Could Roadie it, ohhh nahhh better not, maybe the foldie πŸ˜†

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

Just sorting out the tent, praying for lots of sunshine and gearing the bike for the Singlespeed pub crawl extravaganza… Anyone else making the pilgrimage to Swanage?

Dickyboy

Was hoping to slip stream my mates Pugsley but it looks like he might be bailing & leaving me to my own devices πŸ™

gee

Yes I’ll be there, should be fun to do 100 miles somewhere other than the Surrey Hills.

c_klein87

hopefully squeezed in now the weathers cheered up, lame excuse I know, can’t decide on bike, full rigid Chinese carbon I think……

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

hopefully squeezed in now the weathers cheered up

we’ve been promised 40mm of rain tonight a little further east of there πŸ™

c_klein87

Hope not its my wareham ride tonight! must of it should be quite dry, was more riding in the rain after racing in the rain the day before I was trying to avoid!

Dyffers

I’ll be on the Dash on Sunday. Rigid Niner with some gears. ChrisN on here will be joining me on his Kaff with some CX tyres.

I’m local to the north half of the course so we’ll be on the visit-as-many-pubs-just-off-route-as-possible plan, hopefully winning our beer costs back in Charlie prizes at the end of the day πŸ˜€

Premier Icon gary
    Subscriber

I’m in. No copping out due to weather on account of missing other events to do this! Vintage Ritchey cross bike is all polished up and ready to go.

numplumz

I’m in on me BurleyCross Ragley, making a trip of it and riding down loaded up. Hoping for not to many thunderstorms over the next two days.
    Good to hear there will be a good mix of bikes out πŸ˜€

flashes

I’ll be happy to get back on the same day…………………..

Keef

yes,not doing the serious thing,just pubs…
    can’t decide between,
    SS homebrew fatbike,
    fixed crosser,
    or drop bar rigid SS ?
    Help.

toby1

Saturday is currently looking wet in that area, good luck gents!

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

SS 29er with some bounce on the front.. should be perfect for hills and pubs

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Yup, coming straight from arctic Norway on Friday night. Twentysickser for the SSaturday, geary Peregrine for the Sunday.

flashes

Keef, Please bring the fatbike, then I can take some pics. I think my mate is struggling a bit with my “project”.

See you there………….

Keef

ok Flashes,Fatbike is winning atm….;-)

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

Heading down early Friday for an afternoon ride on Sunday’s loop on the northern section.

I’ll cowboy the Rohloff into a SS (Charlie approved) for Saturday’s ride and Gravel Dashing with gears on Sunday.

Bike = Travers Ti 29er+ Rohloff with Belt Drive.

See you down there

Keef

not looking good for us,youngest son who was supposed to be coming down with us had a temp of 39deg last night….

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

Anyone coming down tomorrow morning via a bike shop that they could pick up a Rohloff rear cog from please.

Charlie hasn’t one in stock.

Beer reward and cash waiting.

Please help

gee

What a fantastic event! Coffee and bacon sandwiches, amazing 100mile lap, stunning views, some fun descents, pint of ale at the end, a free t shirt and a burger. Can’t say fairer than that!

Massive thanks to Charlie and co and also to Paul Errington for showing me the way πŸ™‚

GB

oldgit

Waiting to hear the tales, my mate did it and is either in bed or at work.
    So where did the 100 miler go?

gee

It was a clockwise loop along the Coast, inland to puddletown and bulbarrow hill, the round to Blandford and down the Coast back to swanage.

oldgit

You get the impression it was on gravel like the big American events, but was it more good old off road?
    Love that part of the country and fancy a weekend down there with road and mountainbike.
    Got a GPX or anything?

gee

Yes but only what Charlie sent out – I had garmin issues during the race…

Saw some people had short cut the out and back bit at the start – really? How silly.

gee

Oh and bacon and cheese cake? Win.

bikebouy

We need more tales, Charlie’s events are always amazing and full of proper riders…

Help us out eh lads, tales of beer and woe..

Dickyboy

prizes surely go to the third placed guy who cycled down there from Northampton, won a pair of rims which he now has strapped to either side of his front wheel ready for the return trip but had managed to rearrange his face after riding into a tree on the campsite after a few beers

We hooked up with nick after he’d punctured at the first headland, two snapped chains, two punctures, two bent mechs & a bent chainring between the three of us we still managed to get back in time for prize giving, – which was good as alan had won the fatbike category πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

No tales of woe – instead a great day out. Mrs Yak and I rode together, both on singlespeeds. Bit late off the start as I’d forgotten to sign on before the briefing, but no probs. Just tapped out a steady pace all day over a lovely and varied course and came in at about 10hrs as 2nd and 3rd singlespeeders with Mrs Yak as 2nd overall female too. All good! No tales of beer though, had to get back for an early kids pick-up today. Great day out! Cheers Charlie!

Dickyboy

fairplay to you & Mrs Yak – think we did a bit of sharing of gate opening duties before you stopped for lunch and then you left us for dust after our lunch stop 😳 – we were the threesome on crosser / fatbike / mtb

alias Mrs Yak

Awesome day out with Mr Yak. Fab selection of bikes, mainly steel, took on the challenge. Great spirit out on course.

We took the tortoise approach: started steady and stayed steady. Coffee at halfway was a saviour. Climb back from Harry’s Rocks the only pushing section.

Chuffed with the 10hr time.

Tired today.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

flipping good effort from the 100 mile lot and from Charlie and his crew too.
    I was in the SS slackers lot who went for a potter across the hills via pubs, and had an excellent weekend, met some great folk, ate and drank very well indeed, and managed to catch a bit of sun in the lion beer garden at the finish of the 100.
    awesome achievement for those who took part in the 100.
    the chap who came first had won a 6 hour race the day before, apparently 😯
    thanks to Charlie, Ian, and the other guides/hosts, and Jack and Sam for providing the enthusiasm of youth ( now shut up πŸ˜‰ ).
    in fact thanks everyone. top weekend. πŸ˜€

Dyffers

Great day out. Sub-9hr ride for me for something like 12th place (but it wasn’t a race πŸ˜‰ )

Loads of non-technical local trails that I haven’t ridden in ages all joined up to make a great route. Lots of banter with JohnClimber, Paul on the Niner gravel racer and Chris Noble amongst others added to the fun. Being cheered into the finish by a hundred people was a nice surprise.

Had a brief discussion with Charlie at the finish about a Dash 200 route for next year… 8)

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

Thoroughly enjoyable weekend, we did the SS route on the Saturday , riding along the beach was a first for me and I won a Tshirt for not being knocked off. Drank a few beers, met some very nice people, shame about the punctures but hey.. The slippery descent after Corfe castle was fun I can still feel the stinging nettles now.
    Sunday we left the gravel rashers to it and did a pub crawl, it was pretty messy by the time we got to the Red Lion.
    Well done Charlie and the gang another cracking weekend to remember, thank you.

gee

Yes I won the Erlestoke 6hr race the day before. 1st of 3 double weekends of racing this year… Yesterday was 6hrs 50mins for the 92 miles and was a lot more enjoyable than Erlestoke in the mud!

GB

flashes

Brilliant weekend, great course Charlie, even the mud and puddles were warm. Me and Cab were first fixed gear bikes back. 11 hours, very pleased with that…..

Premier Icon luket
    Subscriber

Cracking weekend. I’m another who didn’t do the 100. Right now I can barely handle a quarter of that. So thanks instead Charlie and others for the two more leisurely rides, the pubs, the views, great company and the met office beating mostly sunny weather. Next year? Yes please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Anyone going to Charlies Gravel dash at the weekend?’ is closed to new replies.