Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone go riding at Devils Punch Bowl, Hindhead?
  • animaboy
    Free Member

I have recently moved to Grayshott near Devils Punch Bowl and wondered if anyone went riding out there regularly. Im a bit unfit at the moment but looking to increasing my fitness over the next few months. Im up for night rides and or weekend rides.

wobbem
    Free Member

Bloody nightmare in the wet, slippery and the clay/chaulk sticks like concrete to the tyres and bike

DezB
    Free Member

There’s plenty of good riding in the area. Did a great loop around there in the summer, don’t think I’d fancy it at the moment though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

Plenty good stuff over there that isn’t all clay. There are some dh trails on the south side of the a3 if that’s your style, plenty of long xc rides possible out on the north side into the punchbowl and towards Hankley, puttenham, etc. I don’t ride there that often but next time I’m over that way I can email you if you have a mail in yr profile.

Also check out VCGH, they ride from godalming or haslemere, mainly road but also some off road and go that way sometimes. I think they have some trails mapped on their website too.

tor5
    Free Member

Yep, been riding round haslemere/hindhead for a couple years. Don’t think I know everywhere, but happy to show you what I do know. Not going to be out that much at the weekend in Jan (trip to afan is using all my credits with mrs) but ping me a mail, can do a night ride or get something done in feb, or if you’re brave, tomorrow?

br
    Free Member

There is loads around there, in fact too much to describe. Get an OS map and link the routes up.

konabunny
    Free Member

does anyone know what the name of the schools/outward education/nature camp that’s near there? Went there as a kid… Probably closed now. ;(

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There’s one on beacon hill that backs on to the Punchbowl, Kona.

I use the main routes up and down the DP as XC time trails linked with Thursley, Hankley and Puttenham. The routes up and down and ok, but not exciting, But they’re good for a workout. There are plenty of cheeky fun trails on either side and as mentioned above some steeper stuff on the NE side of Gibbet Hill. They are fun trails but disadvantage of having to push back up.

I find the DP is often good when other parts of Surrey Hills are too muddy and waterlogged.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Check out the Rezurgence web site. I think they still lead a ride of the area on the first Sunday of each month.

cobrakai

Yeh ive been a couple of times. Not a local but it’s easy enough to link up routes with the local OS map. Some really good trails in the area but I reckon it’s a nightmare at the moment with this weather!

ask1974
    Free Member

Hi mate, email in profile. I live in Haslemere and we ride all over the area every weekend, night rides on Thursday’s and the odd excursion to Swinley, Peaslake etc… Don’t listen to Wobbem he must be thinking of somewhere a little further south, no clay to speak of, in fact we just got back from a 30km loop round the bowl and out into the surrounding woods. Great fun albeit very, very wet… muddy in places (lots of places really) but most of the trails hold up quite well.

As mentioned above lots to find and we know a lot of it, still finding new trails though 😀 We ride early as most of us have kids but we’d be happy to show you around. Drop me an email.

Ali.

ask1974
    Free Member

does anyone know what the name of the schools/outward education/nature camp that’s near there? Went there as a kid… Probably closed now. ;(

Are you thinking of PGL? They have a centre in Hindhead / Beaconhill.

tor5 get in touch if you fancy a ride some time, I’m assuming you’re local as well. We went to Afan last April and had a hoot, so much so I’m steering us towards a return visit later this year. If you’ve not organised it yet I can highly recommend the Afan Lodge. Very good…

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

I’m a bit further south at Liss but know loads of stuff up your way and beyond, more than happy to show you whats around. Also night ride thursdays too but not with ask1974 but up from Milford and other places around. Feel free to drop me an email.

ask1974, when and where do your night rides start? Might try and join you one night to see if theres any trails I’m missing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On XMas day there was a fair amount of water crossing the road where the track down the W side meets the road near Pitch Hill. I guess that track has been eroded a lot of past week? There is a little drop in the sand and gorse in Thursley ommon that I used to enjoy but the rain has comp.etely trashed that.

ask1974
    Free Member

BPD, our night rides usually start at 8pm either from the PB cafe (National Trust car park) or at the Mill Tavern in Camelsdale, depends which way we’re heading. Would be happy to have you join us and a mutual transfer of trail knowledge is always handy 😉

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Will be in touch, likewise too if you want to learn either whats south Liphook, Fernhurst, Milland, Midhurst, Petersfield direction and north up to Milford/Tilford I’ll be happy to oblige.

mulacs

Can I gatecrash this Haslemere party?? Also a resident, have been cycling alone for a few years but would be interesting to meet fellow enthusiasts for moral support / motivation etc. I mostly zoom around Black Down Lythe Hill area so would be good to expand my horizons! Not really geared up for night riding but weekends would be good? Cheers!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i used to nip down there from london for night rides, loved the area. whats it like now they’ve built a tunnel?

you’ve also got the south downs just down the road, butser/qe park is what 20mins away?

lovely area to be in for riding, i miss it. in-fact while sludging round my local loop late yesterday was plotting to spend a few days that way in sept whilst attending the windsurfing festival on hayling so i could see what they’ve done to qe park and also do a few rides up on the downs ridge from hooksway.

tor5
    Free Member

Ask1974 – will do! The Mill is technically my local, though I never get in there… I have a pass for tomorrow morning which I intend to make full use of if you or anyone else are keen?

BPD – mind if I take you up on the Liphook – Midhurst – Petersfield offer at some point?

ask1974
    Free Member

Milacs drop me an email and I’ll copy you in on the next local ride, probably next Saturday morning as a few of us are heading to Swinley on Sunday for a change.

tor5, you must live within shouting distance of me! I’m about a quarter mile from the Mill up towards the Edge. Out today and Sunday so can’t do tomorrow but let’s hook up some time.

BDP, we sometimes head down around Liphook and would be interested in learning a little more. Gave Rogate a go a month or two back and I would love to figure out a loop that includes that as well. Might have to call on your knowledge sometime.

konabunny
    Free Member

ask/teamhurtmore: cheers, I reckon that’s the place!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone go riding at Devils Punch Bowl, Hindhead?’ is closed to new replies.