Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • anyone from the sunderland area?
  • neil853
    Free Member

Looking for locals for mid week riding. Something on the doorstep would be ideal, I’ve heard there’s some alright stuff around penshaw monument so wouldn’t mind exploring that. I’m going to get out with the beamish oddsox soon but was just wondering whether there were any locals on here?

Neil

northernmatt

I’m near the hospital.

Been meaning to sort myself out and do a regular Wednesday night ride out but I’ve had a lot on recently. Also need to find and charge my lights! I think once I’ve got Christmas and New Year out the way I’ll get myself sorted.

I haven’t been up to Penshaw monument for about a year. There are some tracks up there but not a lot, the quarry where they dug the stone out for the monument can be used to play about on. There is also a track up there built by the lads from Sanctuary Cycles as they hits a DH race there once a year. I haven’t really done much exploring around here to be honest which is a bit bad of me, I’ve just minced up and down the cyclepaths being bored. I haven’t been up to Beamish Woods yet but heard it’s worth a visit if you just want to muck about and it’s easy to ride to up the C2C path.

I’ll probably try and get a half decent ride on the Sat or Sun after Boxing Day if you’re about. Email in the usual place.

eddie11
    Free Member

There’s scraps in Hetton Lyons park too

neil853
    Free Member

Matt mate I’ll be in touch, I’ve been in Sunderland about 10 months now but I’m getting sick of mid week night ride to hamsterley, too much faff and back too late for mid week

botanybay
    Free Member

The Consett to Sunderland line is your friend, takes you past Penshaw, Chester, where you can take a small detour to waldridge fell, beamish, further up to waskerley as well. Hell man, you could even do the c2c if you hAve a spare day.

Not sure about the Sunderland area myself, but I bet there’s plenty if you know the area.

Miss living in the north east for biking, some great places, more rolling hills than up and downy stuff here in West Yorkshire, but I prefer that. If I was still living there I’d give you a shout.

botanybay
    Free Member

Oh, and chopwell woods was decent last time I was there.

northernmatt

I’ve only been to Chopwell once. It seemed like one of those places where you need someone to show you all the hidden stuff or have hours to spare to go exploring.

daveh
    Free Member

Born and bred, now live within a couple of miles of Grenoside/Wharncliffe and Cut Gate. 😈

neil853
    Free Member

Not particularly looking for extreme tech (luckily) more a way of getting out conveniently during the week

peepingtom
    Free Member

Sent u a link on strava Neil .

gazc
    Free Member

i’m over near consett/chopwell now but try beamish oddsox for regular wednesday night rides from beamish. you could ride there/back along the C2C as above or park up at the pub. can give you some pointers for chopwell if you’re ever over here

http://www.beamishoddsox.co.uk/

neil853
    Free Member

Cheers for the link I’ll try and get in touch

j4mie
    Free Member

I’m in Sunderland, but I’m hibernating until spring 🙁

sharkattack

I’m in Sunderland and bored to death of pootling around on cycle paths. All my rides start with a drive unfortunately.

daleftw
    Free Member

I’m in Sunderland as well.

Just buy the OS maps and go ride the bridleways would be my advice. There’s scraps, but nothing to write home about. I’ve not been up to Penshaw for a while actually despite living about 15 minutes ride away.

Or Chopwell/Beamish/Waldridge Fell/Hamsterley/etc.

sharkattack

The 20 second long DH trail in Penshaw woods actually isn’t bad for a mess around. But it’s not surfaced and it’s a nightmare when it’s wet. And it’s north facing and won’t get any sunlight on it until about March.

neil853
    Free Member

Its not just route advice I was after, also looking for people to ride with. Not one for going out on my own, no one to talk too

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘anyone from the sunderland area?’ is closed to new replies.