• This topic has 35 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone from Edinburgh/nearby fancy a Lake District jaunt in Feb?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Just putting out feelers here as I was thinking of having a long weekend in the Lakes in February to get 3 days riding on reasonably quiet trails (i.e before the spring), assuming the snow is away!

Having met quite a few folk from here now, and also knowing that a good few of you haven't ridden in the Lakes, I was wondering if we could organise a group ride "abroad" 🙂 It might prove a bit unwieldy though to get everyone down there if it proves a popular idea!

I am offering guiding services, however there's no reason why we couldn't meet fellow local STWers to show us the less well known good bits.

Thoughts, please!

robgarrioch

Might be interested, Kit, though more-so if it was as late as poss, maybe into March, & some improving (?) weather / daylight. It's not an awful lot further to Gisburn Forest either…

Kit
    Free Member

Rob, I was planning on February as a) I have unlimited access to a car for the month and b) I get a free night's accommodation at a B&B in Keswick during February.

My intention is NOT to ride any of the northern trail centres, although I was planning a trip to ride the bridleways around Grizedale. To be honest, we're spoiled for excellent 'man made' stuff here in Scotland and the stuff I've ridden in England and Wales never matches up. The bridleway network is, however, fantastic compared with the bogtrotting up here.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Militant_biker

I could be tempted by this. I'm busy at work all of Feb, so could only do a 'regular' weekend. I also get free accomodation in Windermere…

Rick

lowey

Give us a nod nearer the time Kit and I'll come and join you on the Sunday ride.

robgarrioch

Ah, proper reasons then!
    So, general xc / bridleway kinda riding? Sounds good – did a bit of the Pennine bridleway by accident last year, which was surprisingly variable in content.
    (p.s. I reckon Gisburn may sway your opinion of southern trail centres, doubly so if done in the dry!)

MussEd
    Free Member

Whinlatter is good too, defo worth a visit. Grizedale not so, especially if constrained to the marked trails on a severely overcast day with no map!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Sounds like fun but i'll give it a miss. I'd be keener in the summer.

Kit
    Free Member

Grizedale not so,

Do you mean the bridleways? The ones I've ridden were well surfaced, and are ace fun!

crazy-legs

Grizedale has miles and miles of stunning bridleways and <cough> footpaths </cough>, I rode there for years and could usually find at least one new trail each time.
    It's even better now cos most people stick to the NFT and it leaves the proper trails refreshingly quiet. 🙂

MussEd
    Free Member

I meant the North Face centre – mate forgot the OS map on a very wet and foggy day so we stuck to the NF marked trail and it was ok, but way too short to justify a trip there on their own.

The cafe was nice though, staffed by some toasty hot young things serving toasty hot Cumberland sausage and mash which there and then became my favourite post ride scran.

jimmy

Could be interested depending which weekend.

Kit
    Free Member

jimmy, no specific weekend in mind, yet. When are you free? Drop me an email if you want – met a rather tasty ex-MSc classmate of yours at a Hogmanay party, small world and all that!

Jenga
    Free Member

Any chance a sassenach could join in on the Saturday? One who knows a few bridleways in Grizedale that you might not have seen before.

daveb
    Free Member

Kit, good chance I would be up for this, would probably need to be mid Feb for me.

I couldnt do three days though, Sat and Sun max for me

Kit
    Free Member

I was thinking of you Dave when I posted up 😉

I will look at weekends when I get home and make a suggestion, seeing as there's some interest.

Cheers,
    Kit

ChrisL

Could be interested, depending on what my motivation to apathy ratio does when the organisation and planning begins.

daveb
    Free Member

Kit

Yeah, and lets hope I dont forget my bike helmet this time 😳

I still havent been back since that excellent ride when you showed me around – would be great to go back.

If some people are heading down for three days I could just join up with you on the Saturday morning – although I still owe you a return drive 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Love to come along – no longer in Edinburgh but closer to the Lakes than I used to be. I'll keep an eye on the thread….

druidh
    Free Member

I could be up for this. Why not start a Wave???

Northwind

I'd definately be interested in this, assuming I can get there. Better start convincing ChrisL it's a great plan! Go on, what's the worst that could happen, a 3 hour drive home in a blizzard?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's not an awful lot further to Gisburn Forest either…

Gisburn is OK for its area but I'd never think of leaving The Lakes to ride there!

Kit
    Free Member

Hello, I hadn't forgotten about this!

Sadly, finances won't allow me to do an overnight stay this month, however I'm now considering a day-trip instead. Most likely Sunday 28th Feb. Location TBC, depending on whether I'm travelling alone or with company (and therefore how long they're willing to spend in a car/how early they can get out of bed). Keswick is 2.5hrs, Grizedale (guessing) 3.5hrs+

If anyone's interested in coming with me, or indeed joining me if you're local, post up, cheers!

jimmy

doubt i'll make it as mentioned.

But for any Lakers reading, do you know the trail which comes down off The High Street and doubles back on itself along the North side of Ullswater? Does it have a name in its own right?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

FYI High Street is on the east of Ullswater…

but I don't know of a name for the track

lowey

Kit, Ton is running the northern Chapter monthly ride around Nidderdale on that Sunday. Come and join us!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-northern-chapter-february-ridenidderdale

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry Kit – that breaks my "riding time must be greater than driving time" rule.

Kit
    Free Member

lowey, that could be a grand idea!

Colin, I know its a long way, but I reckon the Lakes are worth it. If no one's interested I'll be staying with my folks near Lockerbie, which cuts down the travel time signifcantly.

lowey

lowey, that could be a grand idea!

You know it makes sense. I'll see you there!! 😉

Kit
    Free Member

Just looked at where Nidderdale is – 4.5hrs from Edinburgh. Errrr… I might pass this time round matey!

Trekster

yeah 3hrs from Dumfries and I am night shift on 27th 😕

rickmeister

As a regular lakes for work commuter I am with Druidh and the car/ride ratio, its not good for a day but over a weekend its fine…..

Not a great deal of snow down there today.

Diane
    Free Member

I could be up for this if you don't mind someone slower coming along?

Kit
    Free Member

I don't drive much these days so not fussed by time in the car, especially when looking at my local riding…

Diane, not fussed about speed! Are you a Lakes local or an Edinburgh local?

Jenga
    Free Member

We will be there (Allah permitting) on Sat 27th if that's any use to you. Riding from Ambleside. Local knowledge and all that.

Kit
    Free Member

Jenga, alas I'll probably be working on Saturday but thanks anyway 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone from Edinburgh/nearby fancy a Lake District jaunt in Feb?’ is closed to new replies.