Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone for a weekend in Belfast? its a great wee place, honest!
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

UTV

Waderider
    Free Member

I just gave up and left in 1999.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From the BBC article:

Demonstrators were passing the nationalist Short Strand area – after a 1,000-strong protest outside Belfast City Hall against the council’s decision to restrict the flying of the Union flag – when the violence broke out.

And from the UTV piece:

…normally they return via the Newtownards Road, but it’s unclear how they ended up at this flashpoint…

and

…it was a bad policing decision…

Of course, it wasn’t all being orchestrated by the UVF, maybe the protests (to which they are perfectly entitled) might pass off peacefully. Though, one wonders why a bunch of peaceful protesters are marching by a nationalist area waving Union flags and using scarves to mask their identities. Maybe they miss the days when they could do this every Summer for a few weeks.

Euro
    Free Member

Why are they firing water cannons? I don’t think a bit of water is going to put anyone off – it rains practically every day here.

It was all about the plastic bullet when I was growing up. Seems like the police don’t employ that tactic against protestants. 🙄

O.T. – Joe, had a run at the new trails (in progress) at Mary P’s?

edit:

Though, one wonders why a bunch of peaceful protesters are carrying crates of petrol bombs

stewartc
    Free Member

A mate of mine reckoned that you could solve the problem of fighting during marching season by adding a steel drum band at the end, then everone would get in the carnival mood 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

It was all about the plastic bullet when I was growing up. Seems like the police don’t employ that tactic against protestants.

From what I saw on the evening news here on the other side of the world, there were some plastic bullets fired. It was unclear which group the targets belonged to.

A mate of mine reckoned that you could solve the problem of fighting during marching season by adding a steel drum band at the end, then everone would get in the carnival mood

A good idea. Perhaps all it would take is a bit of syncopation to break the marching rythym. 😉

Euro
    Free Member

From what I saw on the evening news here on the other side of the world, there were some plastic bullets fired. It was unclear which group the targets belonged to.

Almost 1 bullet per day of recreational rioting. Not enough. Shoot them all. In the **** head. From close range. (They’re already brain damaged – it might knock a bit of sense into them 😀 )

souldrummer
    Free Member

I want to go there at some stage to revisit places I knew as a kid back in the late 50s/early 60s but this kind of thing keeps putting me off. I really hoped that the Good Friday Agreement and the so called peace dividend might make it possible, but I think I’ll just keep waiting for another few years. I appreciate it is only a small minority in one city; but even so.

penguinni

souldrummer…..dont let it put you off.

Things are MUCH better than they ever have been.

The “trouble” is very localised and easily avoided.

project
    Free Member

When the british uk governmnet over here stops paying for all the damages and bailing them out, and when all the decent law abiding people who choose to live there realise, there are no police actually catching criminals, and there doesnt seem to be any one arrested and charged so far,when there is a massive increase in your taxes to pay for it all, because over here were totally fed up with you lot.

Then just perhaps they will have a forcefull word with those who dont give a toss for peoples livelihoods or property.

If you want to fly a flag apply for planning permission,for a flagpole, and if granted fly your own flag, or just get a job and put something back into the comunity youre destroying.

project
    Free Member

double post

Euro
    Free Member

The “trouble” is very localised and easily avoided.

Speak for yourself Pingu. I have to drive/avoid the short strand area on my way to and fro work. Amazingly, every morning the streets are spotless – Good job Belfast City Council.

But you’re right. Don’t be put off coming home by this. Things have been good for a while now. Just avoid any areas with badly painted ‘heroes’ or deformed hands on the side of houses and you’ll be grand 😆 .

Euro
    Free Member

because over here were totally fed up with you lot

They’ll not be reading this, i’m afraid.

zippykona

I sympathise with the pro flaggists. But why don’t they either get someone to stand there with a flag on non flag days or project a flag onto the building.
    I guess they are just used to violence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

because over here were totally fed up with you lot.

Well, that told them. I expect the violence to stop in the next few hours.

Euro
    Free Member

Hope you’re right deadlydarcy. I finish work in 20 mins and might get a clear run home.

Sandwich

it rains practically every day here.

It tends not to be in a continuous stream at 60psi though. I always enjoy my trips to Ulster, been going back since the mid-80’s and not had a problem yet. *touches wood*

Mind you I wouldn’t head off to the Bogside with my short hair and mainland number plates!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I got ‘told off’ by a taxi driver for saying mainland on my last visit!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Wheres Bill Clinton when you need him ?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

duckman

I loved Martin’s McG’s comment on it; basically the boot was on the other foot, get used to it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Almost 1 bullet per day of recreational rioting. Not enough. Shoot them all. In the **** head. From close range. (They’re already brain damaged – it might knock a bit of sense into them )

It’s a surprise that Belfast cops haven’t tried extrajudicial action like that before.

Just stop on the left hand side, opposite the station. Yeah, keep the change.

Sandwich

Better still was the check-point just over the border from the South where the army patrol leader says “oh you’re a Brit”. Mrs S from Co. Derry was less than impressed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone for a weekend in Belfast? its a great wee place, honest!’ is closed to new replies.