Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone fitted a DAB radio to their car / van?
  • tomd
    Free Member

The stereo in my van isn’t great (early VW T5) and I’m thinking of fitting a new one with digital radio and ipod connectivity. The price seems to have come down a lot in the last year.

So, how easy is it to do and are the aftermarket ones any good? I’ve bought the little hooks to remove the stereo, is it just as easy as buy the new one and connect a few leads and stick it in? I guess I also need an arial for the DAB radio, anyone got experience of the different types?

singletracked
    Free Member

I had one a while back, not so good, as weak signal equates to no signal as opposed to a bit noisy.

thomthumb
    Free Member

can’t comment on DAB in the car – although i’m interested.

T5 stereo is pretty easy to remove. Sometimes the plugs get caught behind the tray on the dash. with the stereo half out, reach in and pope the top tray out of the dash, gives you more room. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably not, as I think the aerial requirements are different for DAB. I have used an add-on one (Pure Highway) and it was good, no signal problems.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

DAB was originally targeted for car use…

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have DAB in my corolla,

It was no more hassle than a standard install of a head unit, you have an areal to feed up the lift side passenger pillar which then sticks you your windscreen.

I have only ever lost a digital signal in car parks and tunnels. Had it for about a year and very impressed.

My head unit is a Sony with ipod, DAB etc. I love it.

Nobby

I had one a while back, not so good, as weak signal equates to no signal as opposed to a bit noisy.

I’ve found it much improved since the TV digital ‘switchover’.

Where are you based tomd?

tomaso
    Free Member

A colleague has one fitted as standard in his newish car and when I said is the signla bad he said no its better than for regualr radio.

I want one…

tomd
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. Based in Glasgow, I had a work car with DAB for a bit and really enjoyed the extra choice of stations. Reception seemed to be fine most places I went. Just interested to hear people’s experience of the aftermarket ones.

sweepy
    Free Member

Mine gives me way better reception than FM

pryally
    Free Member

fitted one into my T5 with an external aerial fitted to the roof.

MadBillMcMad

I bought a basic INPHASE unit from dabonwheels & fitted it to my defender.

I went for the basic aerial solution & in general have had no issues. It struggles in the depths of the Peak District but in the main is perfect.

So my aerial uses my original (ordinary) aerial but connecting a powered widget between the existing ordinary aerial & the radio & then lowering the aerial to about a 30cm long.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fitted a DAB radio to their car / van?’ is closed to new replies.