Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 599 total)
  • Anyone fancy joining up with Zwift “build me up”, to start 7th Feb…?
  • vinnyeh

Can you add me to the invites for group meets please- vince (stw).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Are there any pros and cons in doing the workouts in order? Are they programmed or just a collection to complete through the week?

DrP

So I think there IS actually an order… but in not sure what it is!

DrP

ta11pau1

I think, based on the authors original plan, the longer 1.5/2hr rides are at the weekend, but honestly I don’t think it matters.

Zwift’s “Build Me Up” Flexible Training Plan

Right then, I’m now sat in a pool of my own sweat, having just completed my first ever 20 min FTP test…

Holy ****ing ****balls.

I think I started out a little too hard, as at the 10 min mark when it prompts you to add 10% if it’s feeling easy, I think I told zwift to ‘go away’ in slightly more unpleasant terms… 🤣

5 mins to go and I was truly, deeply in pain, and the last 3 mins I was basically hanging on for dear life.

This is what I said yesterday:

I think I’ll be aiming for 250w FTP… 😬 I did 8.5 mins after today’s 45 min workout ended to finish off lap I was on, at 244w average so I reckon holding 265w for 20 mins should be doable…

Today’s result: 246w FTP. 😁 Previous FTP prior to completion of dirt destroyer was set at 210w.

Average of 259w over 20 mins. Max HR of 185bpm.

That gives me, at my current weight of 82.7kg, a 2.97w/kg FTP.

I desperately wanted the 250w figure to give me 3w/kg but it just means I’ll have to lose 700g 😁

seriousrikk

Looking forward to starting this. Thursday is my group ride day but I’ll join meet-ups when I can.

I thought I was fairly fit until I got everything including my ass handed to me on the races… based on that this is probably a bit above me but hey, gotta start somewhere.

DrP

let’s get rrreeeeaaddyyy…. toooooooo…..ruuuuuuuumble!!!

Good luck everyone!
    Devedset for me tonight.. all this week’s workouts added to my Google calendar!

DrP

eckinspain
    Free Member

I’ve been in denial about exactly how many sessions I can do this week. I need to do the final TdZ session tonight and then I’m away on Saturday and Sunday.
    I’m busy on Wednesday night so I’ve got 3 nights available this week for Build Me Up!

I’m guessing Red Unicorn and Devedeset are the key ones to do?
    Maybe I can squeeze in either Pedalling Drills or Zone Benchmarking tomorrow morning?

Next week’s even worse unless the Airbnb has a Wattbike.

DrP

I’d focus on zone benchmarking and the 2 you mention, yup…
    Zone benchmarking so you get a feel of things.

Morning workouts are always a great option too…really set you up for the day.
    I’ll frequently pop on from 6-7, getting the kids brekkie laid out all ready!

DrP

zilog6128

@DrP any chance of an invite for the group ride please? Just signed up to the workout plan on Zwift, it’s saying the first workout is available in 7hrs 🙄 (Why?! oh yeah – cos it’s Zwift 🤣) so I guess if it’s 6.30pm kickoff that might not be any good… as a fallback plan I can just do the workout outside of the training plan, and then later tick the box to say I’ve done a RL ride instead to get credit (or something)… either way I will actually be doing the workout so will get the fitness benefit at least 😃

whatgoesup

I did the Zone Benchmarking a couple of weeks ago with FTP set what both Zwift and Garmin said it should be from general riding – 242 and it seemed a bit easier than the on-screen prompts suggested it should. Tried an FTP test last week aiming for FTP of 250 (so maintaining 263W for 20 mins) and bailed at 10 mins as there was no way I was getting to the end of that.
    So… FTP somewhere between 242 and 245 I think.

I’ll be squeezing it in around actual rides outside and family life etc. Hard rides outside will likely replace some workouts and hopefully it will all work out.

Devedsets for me tonight then !

DrP

i’ve pinged out a few more invites for this coming thursday (red unicorn)..

Let me know if you’re keen to join but haven’t had an invite (thurs 10th at 1815..), maybe with zwift username as well!

Cheers

DrP

feed

Hey DrP, did you send out an invite for Thur ?

Don’t “appear” to have received it, Zwift ID is “Declan Fee STW” and I’m following you.

Thanks

zilog6128

thanks for the invite, think I got the wrong end of the stick slightly – just for clarification, we’re starting the plan tonight, but there’s only one actual group ride per week (this week on Thurs)? All other training rides, we’re solo (with just this thread for motivation/sharing of pain)?

ta11pau1

thanks for the invite, think I got the wrong end of the stick slightly – just for clarification, we’re starting the plan tonight, but there’s only one actual group ride per week (this week on Thurs)? All other training rides, we’re solo (with just this thread for motivation/sharing of pain)?

Correct. If you want to and can join the group workout then great, but you don’t have to.

I thing DrP is planning on setting up 1 group workout per week, but there’ll be 5 workouts a week in the latter stages so all the others you’ll just schedule as any other training plan 👍

DrP

we’re starting the plan tonight, but there’s only one actual group ride per week (this week on Thurs)? All other training rides, we’re solo (with just this thread for motivation/sharing of pain)?

Bang on..100% correct…

Motivation and accountablity are the main goals of this thread!!

Oh, also discussion, moaning, excuses, and complaints ;D !!!

DrP

stumpy01

zilog6128

Sorry for being an interloper – I’m not actually signed up to do the plan…..but…..just wanted to say that doing workouts in some kind of group is way more motivational than trying to do it on your own.
    You have an arranged time & are doing it with other people. You feel that you don’t want to let people down, which encourages you to not only attend but also push hard in the workout & you get the added benefit of messages during the workouts to help push each other.
    It might be worth seeing within your workout group if there are other times/days that suit certain people & set-up group workouts for other sessions, rather than just rely on the one that DrP is setting up.
    It’s probably easier to find times that a few of you can do together, than all of you?

Good luck everyone! Hope you all smash it!

ta11pau1

Rest day for me today, but I’ll be doing devedeset tomorrow evening. Or maybe zone benchmarking…

DrP

I’ll be racing in the STW Zwift race series!!!

Streaming it here!

DrP

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Devedeset done, not bad, can you say you enjoy these types of sessions? Anyway the hour passed quite quickly, wouldn’t say I was knackered or owt mind you.

ta11pau1

Type 2 ‘fun’ I think it’s called, right? 🤣

DrP

Just on the warmup….
    I think some sessions are enjoyable, some hateful!

DrP

franko777

Yep, got Devedset done just now, not too bad. Started off doing it in resistance mode but by the end with the cadence changes I switched to ERG as I couldn’t be bothered faffing finding the right gear.

reluctantjumper

Just accepted the invite for Thursday, should have recovered from tomorrow’s race by then! Going to do the introductory one this evening, should get the others ticked off the rest of the week.

iamtheresurrection

I’ve just done the first session, need some structure post Covid. Been a really inactive month apart from a handful of short runs each week and FTP dropped by 40 – missed every single STW race despite looking forward to them pre-Covid.

Set my new FTP to where I thought it would be, and it felt about right. Weirdly though, while my legs had very little more on the final effort the heart was only at about 160, about 36 under what I’d consider my max – admittedly a short effort.

Might have tired legs, we walked about 7 miles yesterday and another 4 today taking the kids to school, but still…

reluctantjumper

My heart rate is roughly 20bpm lower on the trainer compared to outside, I put it down to he lack of adrenaline from dodging trees. Can push it another 10bpm in the reces though.

Done the Zone Benchmarking workout and I’m confident my FTP is set correctly. Was actually a nice short one to do after work, didn’t leave me too tired for the race tomorrow but got the lags and heart going nicely.

twonks

Just done the Benchmark and I think my FTP is about right at 150 – how crap is that.
    Still, it is what it is and more the reason to keep going for a good summer outdoors 🙂

What was more annoying is the fact I haven’t been near a bike in about 4 months and thought 35 minutes would be ok without undercarriage cream.

Sore bits after 20 minutes 🤦‍♂️😂

DrP

Devedeset done.. first 10 min felt like a rude awakening, but the subsequent ones felt good!
    It’s nice to be back in a plan again!

Also..new chain on teh bike was LUSH! Silent, and smooth!
    Don’t forget to ensure your bike is in good working order chaps! Even though it’s indoors, it still needs to run nicely!!!

Bravo all who’ve taken a chunk out of the week so far!

DrP

ta11pau1

I think it’s just the nature of intervals, I can easily get into the 180’s in heart rate outside on a decent long climb when I’m going for it, and did the same on my FTP test yesterday.

But workouts will generally have maybe 5 minutes at 120% FTP followed by a rest period, if I see over 150bpm heart rate I know it’s a tough workout.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Benchmark done!

Considering doing that next one before work in the morning

zilog6128

Devedset done – wasn’t too bad, then got to the standing intervals followed by the final hi cadence which killed me off 😀

Haven’t done the Benchmark yet tho as had psyched myself up for a “proper” workout; will do that next & see if I’ve got FTP set right or not.

Vortexracing

I’m about 2 weeks in front of you guys, just done my first 3 week block, finishing with a 1hr 45 session yesterday, which was not nice, it definitely gets harder ☹️🥵

It’s quite interesting watching the HR go up for the same power levels towards the end of the session when the fatigue starts to set in.

whatgoesup

Devedset done – not too hard, not too easy.

I’m now hunting on FB marketplace and eBay for a cheap buy “good enough” bike / frame so I can stop abusing my poor nice summer bike onthe turbo in prep for all the training to come

DrP

🤣🤣 commitment to the turbo training! I like it!

I’ve just the one road/gravel bike.. have already snapped some dropouts on the turbo, but can’t justify another bike for the turbo!

Righto… I’m looking at next week…
    Gonna do “what goes up” on Wed at 1830, and “halfvems” on Thurs at 1830….

Shall I make a group workout for one/another/both??

DrP

whatgoesup

My vote would go for Thu as on Wed I will hopefully be outside riding an actual bike !

Edit – by which I mean yes …

eckinspain
    Free Member

Managed to squeeze in the final Tour de Zwift session and the benchmarking this evening so feeling positive!
    FTP felt right and my last ramp test wasn’t too long ago. Zone 5 felt much worse than zone 6 though – I think only 1 minute is more manageable even if it’s higher power.

stumpymark

Did my first FTP test tonight so will start training tomorrow 😬

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Managed to squeeze in the final Tour de Zwift session and the benchmarking this evening so feeling positive!

That was a good idea. I finished the TdZ this evening but should have done the benchmarking too. Doubt I’ll have time before Thursday. Hey ho, some social training sessions will do me good.

J-R

I’m often out riding on Thursday nights, so make both group workouts and people can take their pick?

DrP

Sounds like a plan @j-r !

DrP

vanilla83
    Free Member

Pedalling drill done!

Not sure I’ll be doing another before work tho!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 599 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.