Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 599 total)
  • Anyone fancy joining up with Zwift “build me up”, to start 7th Feb…?
  • vanilla83
    Free Member

Great thank you

DrP

Also, don’t worry if you can’t do all the sessions each week…

The plan will move on to the next week regardless of how many you’ve completed…
    Something is better than nothing…

I’m going to start sending out the invites to the group workout for Thursday 10th Feb…
    I’ll start at 1815 if that’s OK with all….
    90 min red unicorn.. hardest workout in week 1, so gooooooo team!

Tip; I think it’s about 6 or so hours ‘forced break’ between workouts, so you could do an easy one (pedal drills) in the am, then unicorn in the pm…

DrP

YoKaiser
    Free Member

That’s me enrolled 👍 DrP I would be one of those requests, cheers. Final TdZ ride on Saturday and maybe a ramp test on Sunday though I just got a renewed FTP the other day via stage 7 of TdZ. For posterity it was 244, hopefully see some increase by the end.

https://youtube.com/c/JourdainColeman

I’ve watched this guy’s videos as an intro, quite an easy watch. He manages to keep it interesting without too much added drama, as in no amazing epiphanies just getting the work done.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickb

I’ve signed up too – just sent DrP a follow request on Zwift (Nick Barnett). Not done much Zwifting, but good to have more motivation to give it a go!

Nick

DrP

8 hours between workouts..

So if you’re able to join the 1815 on Thursday, make sure your previous workout finishes before 10am!!
    I’m going to do pedal drills (30min) at about 9am on thurs…

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

18.15 on a Thursday 🤔
    I’m not sure this would be the best warm-up for the TTT, I’ll see how I go but I’ve not even managed the preamble ones yet!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

ta11pau1

I’ll miss the 2 set up workouts (pre training plan and the pedal drills, although it’s only 30 mins so might sneak it in…) in the first week, will do Devedeset and Red unicorn (should be able to make Thurs at 18:15), with my FTP test on Mon or Tues evening, depending when I ride at the weekend.

Will probably fit Devedeset in at the weekend.

ta11pau1

@DrP – guessing you set the course for the group workout, one with plenty of elevation would be great! I’m less than 2000m off the Everest challenge so can see the end in sight, should be close to 1300m after this week is done

DrP

If you can’t make the weekly group workouts that’s cool… just fit in the workout whenevs!

Are there any days that work better/worse for you lot?

For me the better times are:
    Mon eve
    Wed eve
    Thurs all day (don’t work Thurs 😄🤨)
    Weekends I guess…

Right… I’ve set up the workout and invited a few people.. Will sit down tomorrow and link names to stw names to zwift names…. 🥴🥴🥴

DrP

whatgoesup

Yep I’m up for this, count me in !

ta11pau1

Are there any days that work better/worse for you lot?

For me the better times are:
    Mon eve
    Wed eve
    Thurs all day (don’t work Thurs 😄🤨)
    Weekends I guess…

Right… I’ve set up the workout and invited a few people.. Will sit down tomorrow and link names to stw names to zwift names….

I’m good for most evenings after 6:30 ish, and weekends, not too early… 😉😁 Can’t do weekdays before 6pm.

And I’m P. Sims (STW) 👍

twonks

After 6 week days suits me too.
    Want to be riding outside at the weekend ideally but we’ll see.

Thanks for doing this DrP 🙂

DrP

Twonks…what’s your zwift name buddy?

DrP

jodafett

Count me in please. Already follow you DrP. Hopefully I’ll not get stuck on the virtual turbo on any group rides! Just enrolled on the program. I was on week 5 of the shorter FTP builder. Need some motivation after a few months off the bike due to injuries. I have a long race planned for June so really need to up my game a bit!

DougD

After 6/6:30pm weekdays works best for me too

jodafett

6.30 works best for me too.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I’m in (J Sigsworth), tried it before xmas but missed more workouts/ weeks than I completed so hoping the group thing will add some pressure/ motivation to complete more than 35% this time.

DrP

BOOM!

Great numbers… Great commitment gang!

Remember… something is better than nothing, amd we can DEFFO achieve this!

It’ll be hard… but worth it!

Enjoy the weekend… get your FTP figured out, and come Monday we’ll smash this!

DrP

reluctantjumper

All signed up. Are we going to try for a Monday meet-up and see if we can all start it off together?

twonks

@DrP PM sent 🙂

stumpymark

Would like to join in with this. How do I know if I’m fit/good enough?

twonks

@stumpymark There is no real need for a level of fitness beyond being able to ride your bike.

It is pretty much essential to be able to measure power though, as Zwift uses that as a base for all the training.

Do you have a smart trainer and know how to do an FTP test?
    If so, do a test when you are well rested and feeling ok.

This will set your base and the training will then be proportionately as hard for you as everybody else – effort wise at least.

edit – Forgot to say, if you join one of the group training rides, they are again all proportional to your effort and ability. Zwift also keeps us all together so those less fit will be dragged along in the ‘game’ so we stay together as a group. Nobody will feel this dragging bit, it is just a game feature.

I will be one of the slowest as I weigh 7.2 metric tonnes and have a low FTP at the moment, so no need to be concerned 🙂

ta11pau1

Would like to join in with this. How do I know if I’m fit/good enough?

So long as your FTP is correct in zwift it’ll be the same difficulty for everyone regardless of your fitness. It does get tough in the last couple of weeks though, and it’s 4 or 5 workouts per week.

Give it a go!

stumpymark

@twonks Thanks for the explaining. That all makes sense so feels less daunting to try both the training plan and group ride.

I have a smart trainer and will complete an FTP test today or tomorrow.

I know how you feel… I’m about 2 stone over weight having been unable to exercise for early 2 years.

stumpymark

@ta11pau1 Currently, I’m doing an hour every weeknight and an hour and a half at the weekends. All these are group rides in Cat D which seem fairly easy. I’ll do the training plan rides instead now but I’m away for a week fairly soon. I believe that means I just miss that weeks training and carry on. How tough do you think it’ll be to bridge that gap?

I will give it a go if that’s okay. I’ve signed up to the plan on Zwift. Have added DrP on Strava and Zwift. Is there anything else I need to do?

zilog6128

It does get tough in the last couple of weeks though, and it’s 4 or 5 workouts per week.

this is why I’ve started them a few times but never finished one! How the hell are you supposed to fit in 4-5 sessions around recovery, Zwift racing, gym/other activity & general life?! If I were that fit already I wouldn’t need to do the programme!!

Might give it a go anyway though 😂

ta11pau1

I’ll do the training plan rides instead now but I’m away for a week fairly soon. I believe that means I just miss that weeks training and carry on. How tough do you think it’ll be to bridge that gap?

There’s 3 ‘rest’ weeks in the plan, these will fall on the 28th Feb, 28th Mar, and 25th April (the final week). Hopefully your week away is on one of these, but if not then just pick it up when you’re back.

Hmm, seeing it written down like that makes you realise how long a plan it is!!

this is why I’ve started them a few times but never finished one! How the hell are you supposed to fit in 4-5 sessions around recovery, Zwift racing, gym/other activity & general life?! If I were that fit already I wouldn’t need to do the programme!!

For me, the trick is to have no life… 😁

I have the last of my current dirt destroyer plan workouts to do today, then I’ll enroll in the new one. As my load this week has been fairly normal, I may do an FTP test tomorrow, depending how today’s session goes. I’m currently 1kg down from 2 weeks ago too (82.7kg), aiming for under 80kg at the end of the new plan.

franko777

I’m up for this too, sounds like a good idea to keep motivated. Looks pretty hard in terms of intensity, but not huge volume. I guess you kind of add any extra at an easy pace as you wish?

I’ll join the strava group and will try and make some of the group rides. I’m in France so the extra hour might get in the way a little at times.

ta11pau1

Looks pretty hard in terms of intensity, but not huge volume. I guess you kind of add any extra at an easy pace as you wish?

Get this guy… 😁🤣

Tbf it doesn’t look too bad, although the latter weeks with 2x 1.5/2hr rides and 3x 1hr rides are gonna be tough.

Did my last DD session today so I’m all signed up!

franko777

Haha just thinking whether it’s feasible to get a long weekend ride in too or if it’s going to destroy me just getting through!

Just done the TDZ and it’s been good to keep me committed so it will be good to have something to move on to.

DrP

I still manage real life rides and runs etc, but… I’m the latter weeks it DOES get hard….

Right all…. remember.. the group workouts (zwift meetups) will be advertised the week before, so you can plan your training around them if you wanna join…
    But don’t feel you HAVE to… you might just want to do the plan in your own time and schedule… that’s cool!
    But remember… the group workout will only be ONE of the workouts for the week… you’ll need to fit the others in too!

I think I’ll be doing devedset on Monday.. unicorn thurs eve (group workout)… possibly pedal drills Thurs am… and I might actually miss zone benchmarking tbh…
    IF you’ve not done a zwift workout, zone benchmarking is quite a good feeler as it tells you how each power zone should feel!

What’s everyone else’s plans?

DrP

ta11pau1

What’s everyone else’s plans?

FTP test tomorrow (doing it mid week means a couple of hours after food, and I’d rather not see my dinner again…). I’m feeling pretty strong in the legs so a days rest should be fine considering it’s been a lighter week too. Plus I don’t want my FTP to increase too much 🤣

I think I’ll be aiming for 250w FTP… 😬 I did 8.5 mins after today’s 45 min workout ended to finish off lap I was on, at 244w average so I reckon holding 265w for 20 mins should be doable…

Devedeset – Tuesday Eve
    Red Unicorn – Thurs Eve group workout
    Then I might fit in the pedalling drills at the weekend, and either an outdoor ride or pace partner ride on zwift for an hour or 2.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Actually I won’t be able to make the Thursday meet. Too many kids commitments on that day that I’d forgotten about. Tuesday might be best for me.
    This group will be good for support though – thanks DrP.

stumpymark

Trying to find my current ftp in Zwift. Is it actually recorded anywhere?

Was going to do an ftp test tomorrow but during a group ride today a notification popped up saying ‘your ftp score has changed to ???’ Now I just want to know what it is.

Googling it just explains how to measure your ftp. Why is everything in Zwift so unintuitive!!

DrP

It’ll be in your profile..

DrP

stumpymark

@DrP Yes, it is. Thank you. I must have mine on auto so it updates the ftp when it thinks it should be increased based on all my rides. It’s pretty low so hopefully it will increase during or after this training plan. The only way is up… I hope🤞

ta11pau1

Thank you. I must have mine on auto so it updates the ftp when it thinks it should be increased based on all my rides. It’s pretty low so hopefully it will increase during or after this training plan. The only way is up… I hope

It does auto update but you need to be going pretty damn hard for it to increase on a normal ride, if it’s set correctly.

It’ll only update based on your 20 min power, so if you’ve seen it auto update on a normal ride it’s probably not set correctly. It probably won’t increase just on the training rides either as you won’t be doing 20 min intervals.

For instance I did the Alp Du Zwift climb a couple of months back and my max 20 min avg power in that ride was 212w, my FTP is 210. I’d have to average over 222w in a 20 min period to get an FTP increase (max 20m average watts X 0.95).

I’d suggest doing an FTP test (20 mins of suffering after the warm up) or a ramp test (slightly less suffering) before you really start the training plan. These plans rely on your FTP bring correct to have the best effect.

You can always turn down or up the difficulty by up to 10% while doing a workout, or if you think the ramp test etc is a bit too much you can manually change your FTP.

For instance I did a ramp test in Sept which had me at 227w, but between then and December I’d done only 46km of riding, along with ramp tests generally being a bit higher than the correct figure, I set mine to 210w, which it’s been for the past 6 weeks of the dirt destroyer plan.

Whatever my FTP test gives tomorrow though, that’s what I’ll be going into this 12 week plan on… 😦

simon_g

Also shows when you start a workout, you can drag up and down to adjust but it defaults at your current FTP.

Creg

I’ll probably be starting on Tuesday rather than Monday, work gets in the way on Mondays so I generally have a rest day. Sundays I do the DoddieAid ride although I think there’s only two of those left now.

Current FTP is 245w (based on a SYSTM ramp test I did in early December. I’ve ridden through most of January but I doubt my FTP will have increased so will leave it at that). Hoping by the end of this to have improved on this.

Won’t be able to make any of the “group” workouts with work etc but it’ll be fun to try this as part of the Strava group.

Good luck everyone 😁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 599 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.