Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone ever painted their (bike) helmet?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m a bit fed up with the bright colour of my full face helmet and was thinking about painting it matt black. Has anybody painted their own helmet or have any experience painting similar?

What paint should I use? Will some normal Plasti-Kote do the job? I think the shell is fibre glass so as long as I tape it so the paint doesn’t attack the polystyrene is should be fine, shouldn’t it?

Thanks

twang
    Free Member

I’ve sprayed a xc helmet (giro) with halfords rattle can car toich up stuff, its absolutely fine, even on the polysturene

dantsw13

No, but I did cover the pink graphics on my Urge with Black Helitape – worked a treat and still there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks.

I have found an epic pinkbike thread about it. I just have to find the right paint and build up some courage now while the weather is good.

dabble
    Free Member

I’m gonna have a go at this now, getting bored with my plain grey giro xc affair. White marker pens and swirls are a must!

ThePinkster

As long as it’s an acrylic paint it should be ok – I’ve used this before after spraying with an acrylic undercoat like Halfords grey primer.

It’s best to mask the visible EPS areas first though, just in case….

belugabob
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading that you should spray paint motorbike helmets, as it affects their strength. Might be an idea to check with the manufacturer.

As I’m not sure how similar motorbike helmets are to Full Face MTB helmets (and having owned neither), my comments may be irrelevant, so feel free to ignore them.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Very good. Have you seen my full face? it would take ages!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever painted their (bike) helmet?’ is closed to new replies.