• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • anyone ever found the granny ring won't go round the bb?
  • Pook

I’ve bought a replacement granny ring today but found that the way it’s machined means it won’t fit around my ht II bottom bracket. It’s a deore 22 tooth one and I thought it would just swap straight in. What am I missing?

Klunk
    Free Member

a file ?

carlos
    Free Member

^^^^ that. Had to file a couple of mm off each of the lugs on a cheapo Deore to get it to fit over my Hope HT2 BB, been on a while now without issue

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It’ll be off an old octalink or square taper chain set.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yep. File is your friend

scotroutes

Common with older Deore

rob-jackson
    Free Member

granny ring – whats that for 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

It`s for riding up steep hills with camping kit on when tired

rob-jackson
    Free Member

ahhhh Touring and audaxes, I see 🙂

Pook

Shouldn’t the shop have the new ones though? I’ll nip back tonight

mikewsmith
    Free Member

just file it down the tabs are just a bit extra.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah I got a cheapy Shimano granny ring and was suprised to see the wierd little tabs fouling. A couple of mates also had the same problem – ie they were tight and bought some new old stock and bargain prices….

This is your friend – don’t be shy!

rOcKeTdOg

I’d use a file not a saw!

hora
    Free Member

Why do you need a granny ring OP?

pickle
    Free Member

erm, for riding up steep hills? 😕

FOG

We will soon be like the roadies forums where mention of a triple causes collective heart attacks and the suggestion that anybody who doesn’t ride with chain rings the size of dinner plates and cassettes with a max of 18 teeth is obviously some kind of pervert!

z1ppy

Pook, shimano change the tabs of the chainset on a whim every year, so when ever your LBS bought there stock, they will end up with old stock near enough next year. Just modify the damned thing with a file and get over it. No doubt your lbs can get you one that’ll fit but they’ll probably need to order it and it’ll cost more, stop being precious.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Person buys ring that doesn’t fit and asks advice, internet goes mad.

This site is bonkers sometimes.

Pook take it back and get one that fits, you shouldn’t have to modify it.

Precious hmmmmmmm

Pook

Zippy –

1) I don’t have a file
    2) I don’t have a vice
    3) to get both those things I’d have to drive past the shop from which I bought the original part, which is also conveniently on my way home.

Also, what is there to ‘get over’?

z1ppy

Fair enough, I’d suggest your mancave/tool kit is majorly lacking if you don’t even own a file though. My point was that it just seemed a lot of bother going back to a the shop, when a file and 5 minutes (you can manage it without a vice), it’s be sorted and you’d be off and riding again. The new ring will be exactly the same, just slightly smaller tabs.
    It’s not like I was accusing you of murder, or saying you couldn’t take it back, just an option to be up and running much sooner (if you owned a file)..

Pook

Yeah the new house will have a better man cave. The utility/toilet/bike room does for basic repairs.

Still, having changed the granny a few times in the past and never had this problem before I’m going to be lazy and just get it replaced

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘anyone ever found the granny ring won't go round the bb?’ is closed to new replies.