Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone ever fitted a parking camera to a car?
  • Pook

We’re looking at a second hand s-max but my wife would like a camera fitting. Is it simple and are they good?

welshfarmer

Not done so yet but plan to. Pretty straightforward from my research. You can get wireless ones which would be a doddle to fit but most reports on them are not particularly favourable. The hard wired ones seem to be much better quality but obviously involve more work in routing a cable from front to back. Then there is the screen. Easiest option is a small screen on the dash, but not pretty. Then you can get ones that replace the rear view mirror. Bit nicer but more complicated to fit. Finally the ones that plug into the back of a stereo head unit would be the nicest integrated solution, but also need to have a compatible unit and a bit more complicated fitting. Pays your money and takes your choice. Being a Ford, I imagine fitting an aftermarket head unit is not very straightforward.

falkirk-mark

I fitted one to a Citroen relay van and fully wired it in it was built in to the high level brake light but I think you can get bluetooth ones that can clip into number plate lights etc so should be easy enough

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Vader
    Free Member

We had a retro fit one on our work transporter, eventually it packed up and we haven’t replaced it. The same goes for the reversing buzzer thing which also stopped working, it was surprising how quickly you got used to parking and reversing a big vehicle without the electronic aids. That said i am sure new one is going to work a whole lot better, just that we havent felt the need to go back to either (we are not driving gods)

eskay

Fitted one to my Vito and it is great. Went fully wired after reading some reviews about wireless issues.

My stereo head unit has a camera input and it switches when put in reverse.

stuey
    Free Member

I used some plastic ‘car interior body panel tools’ – made pushing /prying/ hiding wires much easier.
    Probably took about 2-3 hours because of tricky wiring inside tailgate hinge.

Only issue is my cheap ebay one – (front + rear camera with a screen in rear-view mirror) interferes with some FM radio stations.

jam-bo

Wouldn’t it be easier to buy one with it already fitted?

P20

Fitted one of the eBay £25 kits to our old Vivaro. Wired in to the reversing bulbs (led upgrade). Worked fine.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qTE2yy]Reversing Camera[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pZaAQF]Reversing Camera[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

The current T6 will be getting a camera when I sort out the new head unit. I may get some one to fit it though

WillH

I added a cheap eBay one to our Ford Territory, it was very easy. I went a slightly different route and mounted the screen at the back of the car, as I prefer looking towards the rear of the car while reversing. Means I can look out of the rear window and easily glance at the screen. It’s mounted on the rear quarter window on the passenger side.

If you go that way, you need to make sure to buy a camera designed to go on the front of the car, rather than a reversing camera, as they don’t flip the image like reversing cameras do.

I found the hardest part was removing and refitting the interior panels to run the cables to the screen. There are videos on yootoob for that sort of thing though.

taxi25
    Free Member

I went cheap and simple with one for my van.

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RBGW430

Just scotch block the camera into the reversing light circuit and the screen plugs into accessory socket. It works fine and is all I need.

taxi25
    Free Member

Alternatively Halfords have a range and provide a fixed price fitting service.

https://www.halfords.com/advice/technology/buyers-guides/reverse-cameras

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever fitted a parking camera to a car?’ is closed to new replies.