Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone ever done a DIY windscreen chip repair?
  • cookeaa

Just picked up a Cheap banger for the missus to learn in, the cars pretty good except there’s a couple of chips in the windscreen, I’ve just ordered a resin repair kit to try and fix these myself.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this before, any tips or hints I should be aware of?

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t you get chip repairs free with pretty much all insurance policies ?

MartynS

At the risk of being captain obvious I think those kits just stop the chip spreading. If it’s on the drivers side in the sweep of the wiper it’s an mot failure and no amount of resin will sort it!!!

Good luck!!

nickjb
    Free Member

I fixed one in a car many years ago. The kit had a syringe to force the resin in. Once done it was pretty hard to see the crack and looked great. That only lasted 6 months or so then it was back as before. No worse, though.

cookeaa

Don’t you get chip repairs free with pretty much all insurance policies ?

£80 excess with her bargain bin policy, and I’m not a DIY phobic so I might as well have a crack (Intended)…

The car is 15 years old and cost very little, the idea is that we won’t be keeping it for too long, it’s Got MOT and Tax until Jan, by which time she should be driving and we’ll go back down to one car, for the cost of a resin kit I though it worth saving the cost of a professional repair/windscreen excess, if it doesn’t work then it doesn’t work, nothing ventured nothing gained.

If the crack propagates then yeah I’ll be off to Autoglass with it but as it’s still within the realms of “repairable” I’ll try it myself.

your repair only lasted 6 months you say Nick? might be OK I suppose…

nickjb
    Free Member

your repair only lasted 6 months you say Nick? might be OK I suppose…

About that. It was a while ago so my memory might have failed and kits might be better now. Kits are cheap so worth having a go. IIRC it came with enough resin for dozens of cracks but dried in the tool box out long before I could use it again.

IHN

If it’s on the drivers side in the sweep of the wiper it’s an mot failure and no amount of resin will sort it!!!

It’s not, you know. I’ve had one, possibly two fixed on the van windscreen and they’ve all gone through MOT’s.

rocketman
    Free Member

it was a while ago but as above the diy kit worked quite well although the chip/crack reappeared some months later. Probably my fault for not sorting it as soon as it appeared.

IIRC chips and cracks in the swept area of the wipers have to be 6mm or larger to fail the MOT. My Mondeo has one on the driver’s side (fixed the same day by Autoglass) and at some angles it’s quite visible but it’s not failed an MOT

cp

£80 excess with her bargain bin policy, and I’m not a DIY phobic so I might as well have a crack (Intended)…

You sure? For cracks? For windscreen replacement I can understand that, but cracks are usually done for free. The theory is I guess best to repair a crack for nowt than to end up having to do the whole screen…

nealglover
    Free Member

Absolutely.

£80 excess to have a chip repaired sounds crazy.

I paid £50 excess for full replacement windscreen last year (heated screen with antenna built in too)

tthew

I did a crack in my old van. Had the windscreen fixed about 2 weeks earlier and it went again and propogated quite a long crack quickly. I used a tile drill at the end of the crack, (carefully so as not to spread it more) then filled that to stop it getting longer.

Worked a treat.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I repaired mine must have done a decent job as you really had to know where to look to find it! Had the car 4 years and it never needed fixed after the initial repair.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever done a DIY windscreen chip repair?’ is closed to new replies.