Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ever dismantled a magnetic turbo trainer?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Seems every time I start a session on my Tacx blue motion magnetic turbo, it takes a few fast pedal spins to get the resistance to kick in. That’s with the cable resistance set at 6 or 7 (out of 10).

So seems something isn’t quite right internally.

Has anyone ever dismantled one of these or another magnetic turbo – or even changed a cable on one with adjustable resistance?

threerock44
    Free Member

I wonder is there an issue with tyre-trainer contact. The same problem on my Tacx Sirius went away when I inflated the turbo trainer tyre to 110psi and set the mechanism so that it was quite a shove to set the tyre against the trainer – ie the tyre is really squashed against the metal roller.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

No, not tyre contact patch problem – I’ve given it the odd tweak (wound it in) over the years but with this I can see the roller and flywheel moving. It has squeaked when the tyre has slipped in the past. Literally a couple of good stomps on the pedals -so not enough to even warm up the rubber – and it seems the resistance picks up again.

I also think there is something wrong because when I out the resistance lever on 9, there is the most awful mechanical grating/ rattling noise like a bag of loose spanners falling across a cheese grater.

sbtouring
    Free Member

I once snapped a cable on an old tacx magnetic turbo (can’t remember the model). It was easy to replace the cable on the turbo end, but on the shifter end be careful as there was a spring loaded ball bearing to make it index which came loose and I never found it. But it maybe a different shifter on your model.

sbtouring
    Free Member

I once snapped a cable on an old tacx magnetic turbo (can’t remember the model). It was easy to replace the cable on the turbo end, but on the shifter end be careful as there was a spring loaded ball bearing to make it index which came loose and I never found it. But it maybe a different shifter on your model.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks SB, can you remember what type of cable it is? A standard gear cable?

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I used a tandem gear cable on mine with a self modified barrel clamp. Genuine cable was £15, gear cable was £0.99 plus a little postage and is still working well (12months)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever dismantled a magnetic turbo trainer?’ is closed to new replies.