Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone ever come across dodgy SRAM powerlinks?
  • JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I snapped a chain last night so dug out my SRAM powerlinks but they would not fit the chain together. The pins fitted in the first holes but would not pull tight and slip into the 2nd holes. A mate handed me a KMC one and that went together fine. Before you ask, yes I had a 9sp (SRAM 991) chain and my powerlinks were gold and a few other riders had a go at it too so it wasn't just me.

Postmortem on the workbench today and the links slip together fine on their own but I just cant fit them together when they are in place on a chain. I tried the original SRAM powerlink that was already in the chain and it works but the new ones won't. I checked my CRC account and I bought the pack of 3 powerlinks from them in Nov last year so they are unlikely to be hooky. Upon examining the KMC one it has a slightly different shaped hole.

I mean they are something that the well prepared biker carries, much like carrying an innertube or two but you dont examine a brand new tube for punctures do you? I'm gunna send them back to CRC and I'm sure that all will be sorted but has anyone ever had any similar experiences?

Clink

Yep – thought it was just me. Stopped to help mend a guys chain, whipped out powerlinks but for life of me couldn't get to connect. Never a problem before. Came from CRC but have to check when.

SnS
    Free Member

Ended up in the same situation last week. Came from a recently ordered bag of three from CRC. – Took a bit of messing, but eventually persuaded the link to fit. Once on, it's been working ok.
    But yeah, seemed a lot more awkward than normal.

Chris

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yep, just chucked a pair out this week. My problem was getting them apart…

SnS
    Free Member

not tried the getting em off bit yet 🙁

Chris

sweepy
    Free Member

i had one like that, ok on a different chain tho 😕

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I think I'll give the KMC ones a go for a while since I have also had my chain come apart at the quicklink a few times. I also found them tricky to undo when you want to take your chain off although I saved that problem by buying some of those special pliers. Looking at reviews on the web these seem to be reasonably common occurances.

Why is it we cannot use a chain breaker to join our chains anymore?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever come across dodgy SRAM powerlinks?’ is closed to new replies.