Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone ever claimed for a delayed/ cancelled flight?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Off back to New York in April next year, for a family wedding, and the wife pointed out that last time we were there, we got caught out in Hurricane Sandy…
    Our flight was then cancelled and we were delayed by another 3 days because of it.
    So, can you claim for this? Any ideas?

Fantombiker

Yep, successfully got money back from monarch airlines after 7 hour delay due to technical problems. Doubt you can claim for weather issues.

stewartc
    Free Member

Just claimed for a delay caused by a Typhoon in Hong Kong which left me stranded in Chiang Mei Airport overnight for 10 hours, did it through my travel insurance but to be fair I’m not sure why I bothered, the payout came to around 20GBP.

I suspect your travel insurance would hold the key to your question?

kcal

claim as in from airline (that’s maybe hopeful).
    travel insurance – hm, more likely but still I’m sure they’ll find a way to wriggle out…

Mackem

I think you can claim decent money back for delays due to technical problems but the weather is out of their control and so you can’t claim if the delay is due to that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP yes you can but the airlines make it difficult. I believe you have to claim at the arrival airport before leaving. We once got a £200 voucher from BA but we had to go back to Heathrow 2 weeks later to fill in the paper work and collect it.

Kahurangi

I was on flights delayed thanks to that Turkish Airlines plane stuck in Kathmandu, earlier this year.

Not entitled to anything from the airline (Non EU carrier, non-EU flight) and in fact, aside from their slightly ropey communications, Qatar looked after us very well.

Got £100 each from the flight insurance (Trailfinders) no problems. Had to jump through the hoops and use their forms but paid up quickly once I submitted everything as they wanted.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve pocketed about £2k in delayed flight claims in the last 12 months or so.

It’s easy, but with many of the airlines it takes the CAA to twist their arm, you can often expect a “no” first attempt. Fortunately the CAA’s complaint procedure is a breeze now.

I believe you have to claim at the arrival airport before leaving.

Definitely not. You’ve got about 6 years to get your shit together 😉

tomhoward

As eluded to above, if the airline isn’t at fault due to circumstances beyond thier control, such as the weather, IIRC they dont have to compensate for delays.

Garry_Lager

Airlines were contesting having to pay compensation for delayed / cancelled flights in the courts, if the delay was caused by a ‘technical’ issue. They lost, which should now simplify future claims – I was delayed over 3 hrs on a flybe domestic flight and got re-imbursed the ticket price, but the process took a few months whilst the court case was being resolved.

As said, though, bad weather is a different story and is a travel insurance issue.

tenfoot

We got delayed 24 hours on a Virgin flight back from LA, recently through technical issues . Under EU regs, we were entitled to 600 euros per person, which Virgin paid with no hassles at all.

I think ordinarily for a small delay, I wouldn’t have claimed, but a whole day’s delay is pretty extreme.

Smudger666

Got delayed at east mids a few months ago – 4 hours – 280 euros. Paid by flybe in about a week.

fubar
    Free Member

This compensation, however, does not apply when delays or cancellations are due to “extraordinary circumstances” as shown in the case of Hurricane Sandy.

FROM HERE

Claimed for wife, daughter and myself through Bott & Co when I knew Jet2 were denying most claims. Their fee was about a third of the total payment though. Today I’d submit my claim directly since a few court cases have clarified when they should pay giving the airlines less wriggle room.

seosamh77
    Free Member

200 quid back from easyjet for a flight from berlin, delayed 4 hours. took about 2k in total as I got everyone with us to claim. 🙂 flights were only 180 quid! 😀

I didn’t mind the delay, we just sat and drank and had a laugh for 4 hours.

think you’re onto plumbs for the weather, you can only claim if it’s their fault.

carlos
    Free Member

Claimed off Thomas Cook after the re was a technical issue with the plane last year as we were trying to fly out of Cuba. TBF TC were Ok about everything, put us up in a decent all inclusive hotel for the night and then after claiming Mrs Carlos and I got paid out something like £650 each. 🙂 and it was dead easy, 1x letter, couple of bits of paperwork sent off and a cheque arrived 3-4 weeks later from TC

Not sure if you can claim for weather delays though

UncleFred
    Free Member

Claimed for a 3hr 10 minute delay on a return flight from Bari to Gatwick on easyjet this summer. Got €1400 back, pretty much paid for the holiday. It was a technical delay, that turned into an ATC delay, but Easyjet paid up with no hassle.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Claimed for the Icelandic volcano delay (6 days!!!)

Got the value of the flights plus (about) 30 euros a day per person compensation from the airline then another 45-50 euros per day from our own insurance policy. Actually managed to find a cheaper flight home off our own backs, saved another 50 some euros over the cost of the originally booked flights. And the hotel was fairly desperate to keep the rooms/bar/restaurant full, so the day rate dropped a fair bit for the extra days…………

Free holiday 😀 😀

(Work gave us extra paid leave for half of it as well, as it was outside our control)

Best volcanic eruption ever!

avdave2

Yes, 600 euros recently from BA for a 21 hour delay coming back from China after a mechanical problem. I spent some of it getting my Rohloff back to Germany for a disk brake conversion and the rest should cover the frame mods so I can actually use it with a disk brake.

nemesis
    Free Member

Just in the process of doing it for a couple of flights so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

the moneysavingexpert link above is good and if you use that resolver app in the link, it makes it easy to track.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever claimed for a delayed/ cancelled flight?’ is closed to new replies.