Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Anyone ever bought a hearse to use as an everyday car ?
  • elma
    Free Member

There’s a volvo hearse on ebay at the mo that would make a great van/car
    My thinking is that it must be well looked after and i’d be able to get loads in the back/ sleep in it if i need to 🙂

Any thoughts and no i’m not a goth!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Do they do wood effect sleeping bags for the back?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bed area at the back is a complete waste of space I’d have said, it’s raised up to put the coffin on show so you could probably strip all of that out.

It will have spent most of it’s life tootling about so could be coked up like mad depending on age and lots of short hops at low peak speed generally are not good for cars.

cynic-al
    Free Member

quality/rustproofing of conversion a potential concern.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’d make a great taxi for the graveyard shift.

althepal

Have heard that they’ve got a fair bit of go to them when unladen..
    Prob cos in the past they were always daimlers, mercs etc with big engines.
    I’ve also heard that the drivers do tend to rag them a bit when they’re not working!
    Strip out all the fittings, guessing there would be a fair but of room for lying down etc but unsure about all the glass and stuff for insulation/security?

robido

a mate used to have one he striped out the back and used it to carry his trials bike to events all over the country it was very amusing to see

edhornby

only problem I can see is maybe they would be thirsty on fuel as they have been extended ? will need a lot of extra metal to get it through the MOT….

Kuco

I remember Specialized bikes use to use one in America then swapped it for a hummer iirc.

derek_starship
    Free Member

They’re not fast. Only 1 hearsepower.

Good for the beer run though. Loads of boddies in the back.

Get an arrangement of carnations for the side windows that spells ME.

SamCooke
    Free Member

That does look nice, make a nice camper.

SamCooke
    Free Member

… But why would it need roof rails???

MrSparkle

I think it’d be dead good….

kayak23

Suggsey
    Free Member

It would be the smell of fomaldehyde that would put me off, one niff and you just know its had lots and lots of dead bodies in! As an aside I me and the misses went for a saunter round Bridgenorth and whilst walking past the cliff railway (cant spell fernicular) and I said to the misses “Bloody hell I smell dead embalmed bodies really strongly”. It was only after walking down to the lower town/river that she then saw the CoOp funeral directors…enough said. ( I should qualify the ability to sniff out dead bodies in various states was through professional dealings with said bodies) 😀

andyl
    Free Member

You could remove the side windows and fit some roller hatches like you get on some commercial vehicles:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Worth a try

redthunder
    Free Member

It would be great for crossing the old Severn Bridge at £6 a shot for a car rather than the van fee.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-HEARSE-960-5-Door-uplift-/261054124640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc809d260

CountZero

I always fancied one of those huge old Cadillac hearse or ambulance conversions. I’d take the thirsty old V8 out, though, and put a big modern diesel in possibly with four-wheel drive; the motor and drive-train from a VW Toureg would be good, the V10 diesel ought to fit nicely… 😈

althepal

That is fekkin massive!

coffeeking
    Free Member

They’re not fast. Only 1 hearsepower.

Good for the beer run though. Loads of boddies in the back.

Which sort?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Due to the crack in my phone screen I read the topic title as horse not hearse.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I saw that and I thought it was a quite a good deal for a massive estate car – not many vehicles out there would take 4 occupants (assuming it’s the 4 seater type) and 4 bikes inside – I include lots of vans in this.

Also no hassles with van insurance,tolls, ferry costs.

I quite fancy getting one to convert into a Ute.

konabunny
    Free Member

My mate had one for his band – it was a fing MASSIVE Lincoln hearse (he was in the US), much like the Ghostbusters one. They could fit all their gear in it plus seat six in reasonable comfort. Can’t imagine what the petrol consumption was though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can get 4 people and 4 bikes into my 306 estate!

joemarshall
    Free Member

I met a Canadian guy who has one, complete with refrigerated coffin in the back for putting beer in. I think he was a bit eccentric to say the least!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Orkney Vintage Club has a 30s Rolls Royce hearse. Their fundraising campaign was called ‘ Friends of the Hearse’

quality/rustproofing of conversion a potential concern.

I dont think longevity is a quality undertakers value.

wwaswas

I did see an advert for a hearse once,described as “Never raced or rallied” 🙂

matt500
    Free Member

While I lived in Fernie Canada a guy there had a hearse, it was perfect for bikes, snowboards etc.

robh
    wwaswas

How appropriate that Ghost Motors are selling that Rolls 😉

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

My old man has done a spot of driving for a local company when they’ve been let down and he can confirm that once a week the cars get driven very spiritedly down the nearest bypass. Buy it!

Pigface
    Free Member

A guy would turn up at Glentress in one quite often.

bonchance
    Free Member

Are hearses exempt from tax/mot etc. ? Runs off to google it..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Spotted yesterday at Glentress

CountZero

Doesn’t quite have the caché of the ’51 Caddy, but as a usefull, cheap to run vehicle with oodles of space, that knocks most estates into a cocked hat!
    Dammit, I would love that Cadillac, though… 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever bought a hearse to use as an everyday car ?’ is closed to new replies.