Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • anyone entered Set2Rise this year?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

had a look on the rider list so far it looks pretty light.

One of the stand out events of the year for me in 2009 – top attitude on the course, not too crowded but enough people there to feel like you're racing.

Great course too – similar in goodness rating to the Brighton Big Dog (which was ACE!)

millsonwheels
    Free Member

I am entered…getting a bit excited about it now! 😀
    I am surprised there are not more entered though, I remember hearing lots of good things about it last year.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

We rode the route last weekend; very similar to last year, a few different bits – but a great lap. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us; it's riding very nicely at the moment. Here's to a good night!

I'm the fuzzy looking one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    phildowling
    Free Member

Yup down for Solo 12, excellent event missed it last year but loved it the 1st year 🙂

packer
    Free Member

Yep I'm in. It's going to be a good one again I am sure!

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Rode it both years, loved the course. Planning to do it again this year, but not going to enter until I've returned from this weekend's Alpine event in one piece!

carlphillips
    Free Member

best event of last year IMO and well worth the travel up from plymski.
    are mule bar sponsoring the event again, im just about running out of bars from last year!!!!

c_klein87

loved the course last year, great atmosphere as well, gutted i can't make it this year pesky uni work!

oldgit
    Free Member

Is this the SPAM event? the one with the Army out on the course. If it is I did it a few years back and though it was excelent, but I was let down by a broken EBB after seven hours.
    Would like to do it again, but I've not been doing solo training for some time now.

Janesy
    Free Member

Yep certianly is. Top course and ive just signed up for the SOLO.
    its the one ive been looking forward too all year.

nicks
    Free Member

im in . team of four . defending out title from last year !

phildowling
    Free Member

Has it still got that bugger of a road climb and a cheeky one through the field before the road?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Fantastic course, mega prizes from Charge and your own body weight in Mule Bars. Why would anyone not want to enter?

Janesy
    Free Member

tbh they did give me the shits… I'll admit not a good enough reason not to go.

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Too much information, Janesy. Check out STW news for more pictures of last week's ride. It's gonna be awesome!

brassneck

Fantastic course, mega prizes from Charge and your own body weight in Mule Bars. Why would anyone not want to enter?

Because their wifes just had baby no. 3 so they'll have to miss out despite it being his favourite event of the last two years. 🙁

Just a random example, plucked from nowhere in particular ;-D

Best course, most fun and only just down the road from me. Bugger.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Surely if she's on baby #3, she should know what she's doing by now? Just sneak out. She probably won't even notice.

xcstu
    Free Member

First timer for this one 😀 riding as a pairs…. crossing fingers weather is kind too!

Just out of interest HT or Sus for this one?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

XC Stu – I doubt it really matters to be honest – none of it is particularly technical – you'll be fine on a HT. I did it on a stumpjumper FSR last year – this year I'll be on my whyte HT.

if you've got both, bring both and see what you think.

Really excited about this event. got a good team of old mates so going to be a good laugh.

julianwilson
    Free Member

The other three members of my team have already replied above such is the level of enthusiasm in the Trail Snail Racing camp. 8) / 😳 So yes I am too.

HT would be fine if its anything like last year. Couple of longish road/lane climbs so lockout would help (although I had no lockout at either end and it was ok) I recall the singletrack as being technical and fun without being lumpy or ridiculous. I suppose it depends on a year of weather and riding, but as i understand it, the trails are on MOD land and not really cheeky'ed on very much so hopefully will be in the same (ie frickin' AWESOME) condition as last year.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Still riding very nice up there. HT will be my first choice; but taking the full sus' for a bit of comfort come 4am when things will probably have slowed down and it will be about surviving not racing!!
    Not doing the short steep road climb this year (unless the route changes again), but you've still got to go up; nice singletrack climb instead. The other rough road/track climb is still in though.

drain

Yup, as a pair – although my ride partner has done zilch in the way of preparation due to new sprog and heavy workload, so it might be quasi-solo! 😉

Mind you I could do with all the miles I can get with Kielder looming ever closer… 😯

rob2
    Free Member

I'll be fine adrian, just a little slow. I will get up for the last lap this year though!

nicks
    Free Member

weather is looking good 😀

There's a map of the course on Facebook now.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119763151384130#!/group.php?gid=241565019841
    Looks like that chalky doubletrack down the field is in again.
    I was hitting 60+km/h in the dark down there last year. 😀

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I've spent the last few months ignoring my bikes, surfing too much and eating far too much all-inclusive Greek holiday food, so not very well prepared at all. This is particularly worrying as our class (mixed team) seems to be full of whippets. I did see Chipps name there too though, so at least I won't be the slowest person on the course.

Does anyone know if the Mexicans are going again? It was most upsetting last year when I was dropped on a climb by a bloke with a singlespeed and a sombrero.

oldgit
    Free Member

My favourite 12 hour solo event, still not doing it though.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

course looks the same as last year – no bad thing – weather now looking good too – fingers crossed!

brassneck

Surely if she's on baby #3, she should know what she's doing by now? Just sneak out. She probably won't even notice.

LoL, the way he's been acting up at night you may very well see me doing a 12 hour solo with trailer, and mobile steriliser. I reckon I could get 2 minutes sleep in on the grassy downhill.

Fuzzy, is the route all accessible outside of race time? I enjoyed it so much I fancied popping back for a few laps, but I wasn't sure if it was restricted access normally.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Any chance someone can post the course as I cant get on Facebook at work…. Need somethink to cheer the day up?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

OH NO I cant see it….

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Not quite the same this year, but the above gives the general idea. A bit different in the lower woods around the ponds. No road climb between mp5 & 6; instead we come up the singletrack then wiggle about and come out on a track at the edge of the fields/wood – not back through the middle as on map above. This gives a gentler climb up to mp11 instead of the short steep climb up to the road/track. Climb road/track to mp9 and then the nice grassy descent, but missing the woods to the right – quite a few reports of riders missing this section out last year hence leaving it out, before going into the woods again near mp8. Finally a little bit more new in the woods from mp10 before dropping back down to start/finish.
    Looking forward to it!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

shame the woods after the grassy descent are missed out this year – I liked that bit! *struggle to think who bothers cheating at these events*
    🙄

Really, really looking forward to it now though, esp as the weather is now looking good again!

I can't understand why anyone would want to cheat by taking short cuts either.
    If you're up with the front runners, someone's going to notice if you suddenly gain a big lead on the next guy, if you're not, you're only racing yourself, so what's the point ?
    I'm quite happy to post the tracklog of any event I take part in.

Any idea of the distance and ascent per lap, Fuzzyfelt ?

julianwilson
    Free Member

sounds like some sensible alterations IMO. The lane before MP6 was fine but i guess more fun if you go up through the woods and you don't need to worry about closing the road.

I saw someone just in front of me cut the course last year between MP8 and MP10 by hanging left as you drew level with the woods on your left rather than taking the longer loop out to MP10 and back. (was there a marshal at MP10 location last year? Perhaps that was why?). I went the proper way and still caught him! 😈

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Only bit I wasn't too keen on last year was the photographer right by one of the drops in the final bit of woods, a flash going off in your face every lap just as you're about to drop in got a bit annoying (and didn't seem to produce that good a photo as everyone had a surprised wide eyed look on their face!)

Am now really pretty excited about this event, especially as the weather looking like it might hold for the weekend!

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

I'm afriad I don't have a proper gps log of the route, but have sketched it out on bikehike. The sketch is a bit simplified; I'm sure the lap was just over 7 miles when you take into account all the wiggly bits! But that gives the general idea of route distance and gradient.

cragrat73
    Free Member

I'm doing doing it solo this year.too much work and travelling at weekends has killed my prep, but for once i'll just try and relax… enjoy the ride.
    Missed last years due to getting married. hoping for same weather, would be nice weather gods 😉

markbullen
    Free Member

hope everyone who comes to the Set2Rise enjoys the event but please be aware it is mostly on private land and hence not available outside of the event, otherwise we could jeopardise future events in this area. also the route does change so please make no assumptions based upon what you see on these maps.

not trying to be a killjoy but we need to protect this area and not get access issues in the future. Mark Bullen SPAM Chairman

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘anyone entered Set2Rise this year?’ is closed to new replies.