Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 237 total)
  • Coronavirus impact on schools
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Any heard/read anything about BOTH parents needing to be key workers for their children to still attend school? Guardian seems to have an article implying both parents need to be to qualify but I can’t see it anywhere else.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m starting to get a bit wobbly now just come back to my room to find messages on my board from year 11’s I wont see again, no last day, no prom, no results day…hard to grasp.

Mrs OOB was in floods of tears for the same reason.

Was a bit dusty for me too, leaving school shouldn’t be a non-event.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Any heard/read anything about BOTH parents needing to be key workers for their children to still attend school? Guardian seems to have an article implying both parents need to be to qualify but I can’t see it anywhere else.

Hasn’t been announced so nobody knows.

ayjaydoubleyou

Not a teacher, but should the worst come to my job I’m someone that’s happy (being young, fit and healthy) to volunteer to do key work….most key work.

Letting random kids/teenagers into my home, even without the threat of contagious disease. Not a chance.

househusband

Just announced to Scottish teachers (at my school anyway) that all SQA examinations cancelled and graded will be awarded on evidence gathered and estimates.

Sounds like we’re going to get redeployed across schools in the authority to teach, what I assume, pupils with learners in crucial services and industries.

pondo

They are an important measure of progress for teachers students and parents.   

Not really, there’s a very nartow focused on maths, English and science and they’re done “teach to test”, so kids lose skills for any other subject. They’re teacher-assessed and are what primary teachers are judge on so you tell me how objective you think they are…. 😉 As a knock on, they’re also used to extrapolate GCSE target grades, so if a child’s SATS are…. optimistic, shall we say, that then screws the pooch for the secondary teachers who have to show progress. All sounds a bit pants to me.

duckman

Well…that was a big jobby sandwich from Swinney.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Swinney also suggested secondary teachers will be back in next week with senior pupils to finish assignments etc

NOT good

kelvin

freeagent
    Free Member

Just seen my Mrs (Secondary School SENCo) she’s been told all teachers are expected in next week but they don’t know where or what they’ll be doing, although rumour has it they’ll be providing glorified childcare rather than delivering the curriculum.

She’s been told she can take our kids into school with her, which is a mixed blessing as i can’t work from home with them scrapping over the TV remote, but also feel it defies the point of closing schools.

Total Clusterf*ck.

Mrs SWSD just texted to say her primary school will be staying open through the Easter holidays, so she’ll be there doing extra classes for the kids that need to be in school.

Meanwhile I’m sat on my arse fiddling with stuff that really can’t be progressed until this is all is over.

“What did you do in the great Coronavirus outbreak grandad?”

“I made sure my spreadsheets balanced really, really well”.

kelvin

She’s been told she can take our kids into school with her, which is a mixed blessing as i can’t work from home with them scrapping over the TV remote, but also feel it defies the point of closing schools.

But… the exposure risk of one of your household being in that one school (with vastly reduced attendance) is probably much the same as several of you being in there.

duckman

tiggs121

Would that be the same Higher pupils who voted with their feet THIS week? Honestly, I knew he was going to be a car crash, but not this bad. What is the point of the assignment anyway? I mark it; are they going to go ahead with them or are they now a ticky-box exercise?

mooman
    Free Member

ayjaydoubleyou
    Not a teacher, but should the worst come to my job I’m someone that’s happy (being young, fit and healthy) to volunteer to do key work….most key work.

If you, or anybody else, is serious about volunteering then I suggest you contact a local care agency. They are struggling for carers ordinarily – now even more so. There will be procedures in place to enable you to carry out caring duties such as personal care as long as your accompanied by a DBS checked staff member.

Why is it that teachers whinge more than any other profession?

Nurses, social workers .. even talk of the army too being redeployed to different areas and different locations to do their job, or things not ordinarily part of their job descriptions. Most will have family at home too.

Why do teachers think they are any different?

kelvin

Why do teachers think they are any different?

Troll like behaviour, take it elsewhere.

anagallis_arvensis

Because people like you exist.

FB-ATB

I dislike the imported prom gimmick, but am quite sad that my daughter is missing her yr6 prom, residential, an end of year production yr 6 put on and the goodbye to friends moving onto different secondaries.

Shes also missing out on a host of scout camps and activities.

Clink

even talk of the army too being redeployed to different areas and different locations to do their job, or things not ordinarily part of their job descriptions.

That’s part of their job, surely?

Not heard a single teacher complain in my school. Everyone is just working hard to support each other and our community.

anagallis_arvensis

Mrs Anagallis has volunteered to help in her school, mine are not sure whats going to happen, but obviously we cant both be out or we will be defeating the purpose.

onehundredthidiot

Shitogram from the heid Yin’s. Summed up as all schools closed apart from the open ones. No kids in apart from to gather evidence (pretty sure the sqa has a bit of evidence we could use). Key worker kids to be babysat and given meaningful work even though they might be in classes of age range 5-17. All classes to be meaningful online work including those for whom the exams are cancelled.

onehundredthidiot

Oh and we could be redeployed to any task we might be able to carry out. We’re all for getting a positive out of this but it’s a shit storm of conflicting information. Council release statement in the morning by which time it’s already out of date.

I have started to set up lessons for the next six weeks for all classes but I need information like who’s in a set so I can populate a team and then it’s all gravy. But a deputy today said I can’t know the pupils names because that’ll let me look up their email addresses which will contravene gdpr. Even though I need them to populate the team.

anagallis_arvensis

I was thinking would it be inappropriate to have nerf gun battles along the corridors if I am supervising a small group of kids during the outbreak?

ctk
    Free Member

My school will be open for vulnerable kids or the kids of key workers. I think that’s about 35 kids total. Teachers will be setting lessons via the internet also.

All schools in Wales are being asked to do the same.

Edit: Primary school 60 odd kids per year with nursery as well.

ayjaydoubleyou

If you, or anybody else, is serious about volunteering then I suggest you contact a local care agency. They are struggling for carers ordinarily – now even more so.

For now, concerned with keeping our 12 person business afloat (not my business, I’m just an employee). But will remember for the future if the worst happens.

RustySpanner

I should be out of isolation on Sunday.

If anyone’s stuck inside and has a power kite they aren’t using………?

stevextc
    Free Member

kelvin

But… the exposure risk of one of your household being in that one school (with vastly reduced attendance) is probably much the same as several of you being in there.

Not at all and it gets further and further away from “the same” the younger the children.

Adults can be expected not to touch things … and when they do not touch their face until they wash their hands. Unless you have worked in a lab etc. it’s more difficult than you might think when you are doing something else.

Kids in reception? Not a chance?

My 10yr old tried whilst doing miscellaneous things round the house. [Computer, coursework, watching TV] Every time he put a finger, pen or whatever in his mouth I remarked… after 1/2 hour or so he admitted he’d never do it whilst doing something else.

easily
    Free Member

I’m not a teacher, and I usually try to be more polite than this, but why don’t you just f off you whining git?
    I wonder what crucial job you do?

bsims
    Free Member

Doesn’t take long does it?!

The overwhelming majority of teachers are hardworking to the extent of donig far more than asked to do the best for their students. They have been stressing over the goings on and how to do the best for all year groups over the coming months are are rewarded with this kind of sh!t from journalists and on social media.

MoreCashThanDash

So schools are closed, Scouts and Guides have shut down, the kids orchestra has shut down, cycle club has shut down, we are all being urged to limit social contact, pretty much every club has shut down except my daughters gymnastics club, even though at least two of her display team are self isolating this week…..

She isn’t training tomorrow, handy excuse of the broken finger

onehundredthidiot

Right I’ve suferfested and now have a pint in hand feel better.
    My day started bad when I wasn’t allowed into Sainsbury’s to get a loaf for my 78yo mum who’s just out of hospital while on my way to work. The oaps were leaving with so much bogroll that it’ll outlast most of them.

FB-ATB

MCTD- gymnastic places must have super powers. The one my son goes to is open as well!

johnnystorm

I left teaching in 2018 and feel like I’ve dodged two bullets now!

All the best former colleagues!

MoreCashThanDash

@FB-ATB – British Gymnastics website says everything at national level is cancelled till June, but individual clubs can do their own risk assessment. She’s on a display team heading for EuroGym in Iceland in July, so they are keen to keep training as the event isn’t cancelled yet.

MoreCashThanDash

Just had an email from sons college saying they are refunding the upfront bus fare till the end of this academic year – presumably not expecting to go back till September

Ambrose

It will be hard for Yr 11 in school tomorrow. Word on the street is that they are all planning to come in to say goodbye.

Overall student attendance in the county yesterday was approx. 34%
    Overall teaching staff attendance was approx. 65%

kelvin

Not at all and it gets further and further away from “the same” the younger the children.

A very good point well made.

onehundredthidiot

We’re all in Monday and Tuesday. No more exams/prelims for kids only those that need to complete coursework.
    No guide on how grades for exam classes will be awarded or what evidence is needed.

onehundredthidiot

From SQA

Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement yesterday that the 2020 exam diet cannot now go ahead, I wanted to confirm to you the position with the marking of National 5 coursework. Marking of coursework will continue as planned. Depending on your location, scripts will be delivered to you from Tuesday 24 March and arrangements for the delivery of the scripts are based on the information you have already provided.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I see the key workers school thread got locked, what are other key workers thinking about their kids next week? In a quandary here. Wife is a social worker so we qualify, albeit not in a role with particularly vulnerable individuals, in fact seems her work might dry up then potentially redeployed elsewhere. Kids are 6 & 4, so chances of actually working from home with them around are zero.

I’m a self employed contractor, and on 3x wife’s salary (albeit she’s part time) so while I could pack my contract in, or take it down to 2 days, to look after the kids, it would be financially tough for us. Alternatively wife takes temporary redundancy or reduces hours, which is perhaps not the thing to do in a crisis but she’s so fed up with the profession that putting herself in harm’s way for zero reward from employer or “client” might just be the final straw.

Or we suck it up and put the kids in the 3 days she works, and feel guilty that we are putting them/us/society at risk by not social distancing as we should.

No idea what to do, but glad I found this thread to see others in a similar quandary, most others I spoke to are of the view that if it’s available they’ll use it

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 237 total)

The topic ‘Coronavirus impact on schools’ is closed to new replies.