Anyone else watching tomorrow's forecasts

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Anyone else watching tomorrow's forecasts
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

with a rising sense of disappointment? We were promised 20cm of snow yesterday! I looked out my sledge! Now it’s to be rain with occasional outbreaks of boring. Cheated.

footflaps

looks like I might have a 50mph tail wind cycling home…

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Looking a bit rubbish. What can else you expect from Storm Doris?

scotroutes

If anyone does get some snow could they please post it to;

Natural Retreats
    Cairngorm Mountain
    The not-so-frozen North

Thanks.

DrJ

Last time “Storm Doris” was predicted it ended up being a light breeze.

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Still it looks like a biblical downpour in Glasgow.

So pretty unremarkable weather then.

alanf

Light breeze.

I had a mate who got this name afforded to him by virtue of his snooker/pool prowess.
    He was no whirlwind or hurricane, just a light breeze.
    Later shortened to breeze.

P-Jay

Disappointed doesn’t even come close – Friday last week “next week will be unseasonably warm, temps of up to 18c” – great, and I seem to recall some places did get that for a day, we didn’t, now it’s “Storm Doris”.

Currently very cold and wet, with that very fine crapy rain in Cardiff.

Looking to get out tomorrow somewhere for a ride but at present Haldon Forest, Exeter is going to be closed all day.

Just waiting to hear whether Cardinham in Cornwall is also closed, if it is then might have to ride local instead.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber
    mrblobby

STRAAAAAAVAAAAAA πŸ˜‰

Looks fun down South…

fifeandy

I looked out my sledge!

At least sledge can form basis of a raft conversion.

Premier Icon prawny
    Subscriber

50-60mph crosswinds on my commute according to the beeb.

Not looking forward to it, but I expect the trains will be fubar as well if the forecast is correct.

sweepy

Gritters just been past, we’ll get sod all.

That Ventusky site is lovely, thanks for posting that DezB. No my favorite weather site.

School transport here cancelled tomorrow which is an open invite for the ill informed and over opinionated to moan about the council. Classic case of dammed if they do, dammed if they don’t.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

It’s windy here and slight drizzle. Bit like Autumn.

Premier Icon aracer

Mr Blobby wrote:

STRAAAAAAVAAAAAA

It has to be done, doesn’t it? Though the forecast for here is showing 57mph gusts which could be interesting.

Premier Icon Alphabet
    Subscriber

That Ventusky website must be broken as it’s not showing any snow around Preston and I’ve got my skis ready and waiting in the porch.

Houns

Be getting busy with the chainsaw tomorrow hopefully

Having bought a pair of 45NRTH Gravdals from CharlieTBM last month, I sit here safe in the knowledge that Southampton will be snow/ice-free until the rubber has perished. πŸ˜‰

Looks like if I’m going out tomorrow, it will probably be a dark ride, before sunrise or after sunset. Or the forecast will be horribly wrong, like a few Thursdays ago, when the strong winds never came around lunchtime.

NZCol

I’m flying to Geneva at 06:30 to go to Cham and wondered if I might be snowed in, in Edinburgh !

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

I know Cham well – wouldn’t Zurich have been much closer?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

That Ventusky site is lovely, thanks for posting that DezB

Cool innit! I confess to have nicked it from another STW posting πŸ™‚

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Ventusky is totes wicked.

I hope it’s accurate – tomorrow we fly to Inverness then drive over to Skye in a poxy little hire car which probably won’t have winter tyres 😯

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

In true form, being a week day, I went to my favourite pub. I sat down, grabbed a book and this came to hand.

Images from the old days, when storms were actually Storms..

jambalaya

I know Cham well – wouldn’t Zurich have been much closer?

I assume he means Chamonix

I love the name Storm Doris, has a certain ring to it to remind everyone of the wife, IGMC.

b r

Was supposed to be night riding at Glentress tomorrow evening, but going out Friday daytime instead – if we have the +20cm predicted it’ll be better walking with a view πŸ™‚

GolfChick

Supposed to be going to stay with a friend in Lauder but the 20cm of snow predicted and cancelation of school buses makes it less likely. I may end up riding Hammers and then heading there afterwards or even postponing til Fri morning to miss the worst of it. Pretty pissed off as after tomorrow it looks normal again, swines… ruining my free days off work!

CountZero

Dunno why everyone’s making such a song and dance about Doris Day…

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Orwell Bride will be closed and the 16 mile car journey to work with the hound will take an hour. Early start tomorrow then.

Premier Icon Pz_Steve
    Subscriber

Crispy, last time I was at Cardinham (3, maybe 4 weeks ago) large parts were closed for forestry work, with a hefty fire road diversion. The signs said it’d be like that until April iirc. Might want to give it a miss.

Sorry for the thread hijack…

ElShalimo

@Bikebouy – it wasn’t a Hurricane, just a naughty extra-tropical cyclone

A bit wet, a bit windy, nothing to see here, move along (Sarf coast)

mikewsmith

36c in the valleys and snow last weekend on the mountains, I’m watching the forecast and thinking about another long sleeved top…

The gales started earlier than last night’s forecast, woke me up at ~0530, when I thought it would be ok until 0700ish. Does this mean it will finish earlier and I can ride before it goes dark later? πŸ˜†

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Yup, max gust all night was 35knts, aves at 30.

It’s a normal Autumn day on the South Coast.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I’ve woken up in Dorchester to a Sunny day with a slightly above average breeze. I must say I’m not disappointed as I didnt want a cancellation of my train home later today.

dpfr

Hmmm! 94 kph gusts for us this morning. I think staying below 1000 ft might be a good plan

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Having been pessimistic about the press winding it up, we in central belt have woken up to a rather white, wet and wild morning with ploughs not keeping up due to volume of snow blowing around….

kayla1

It’s miserable up here, and it’s not much better outside! Badoom, tish πŸ˜€ Try the veal…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else watching tomorrow's forecasts’ is closed to new replies.