Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • anyone else use local bike shops for trying sizes out?
  • pussywillow
    Free Member

I have no interest what so ever in buying stuff from the local bike shop, too expensive compared to online prices but most of all cos my local bike shop is owned by a right stuck up little posh ****! 😆
    I’m quite capable of doing all maintenance tasks at home wether changing oil and seals on forks to trueing me wheels…..however, I have found the local bike shop can be incredibly useful if your not sure on clothing sizes, I see something I like online, maybe some five tens but not sure about sizes….simples, I just pop down to me local clever posh **** and try them on down there, listen to him babble some bull Shit to me then it’s off home to order them online for 30% cheaper, I’ve done this for the past five year without spending a penny at his shop, it’s a great way of doing it, even if it is a bit cheeky! 😆
    So, anyone else do this? Come on, be honest! 😆

wwaswas

obvious troll is obvious.

martinhutch

Not even 1/10.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Obvious troll is reported for swear filter avoidance.

jam-bo

I only go in mine as they usually have donuts on the counter.

binners

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice tea towel holder, binners.

root
    Free Member

If you are buying a lot of gear this way it might be worth asking for a bit of discount in return for all the business. It’s probably never going to be as cheap as online but you could at least see them right (at least for those times when you will need them in an emergency)

pussywillow
    Free Member

The thing is roots, is I did used to buy a lot from my local bike shop and he never valued my custom as I valued his shop, I eventually realised this so thought whats the point in trying! It’s dog eat dog these days, take what you can! I guess I’m the only honest one to admit this . 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No but then again I can also put a value on things like trying stuff on and getting it that day. Try another shop or at least try a better troll. 1/10.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Hmmm….you must have money to burn! 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

cookeaa

It’s perfectly fine to do what the OP described so long as, rather than just scurrying back to your bedsit to order online, you whip out your smart-phone on the shop floor and order the (now correctly sized) item right in front of the shop assistant who’s time you’ve just wasted, preferably with a twatty smirk on your face throughout…
    Don’t forget to ask for tea and biscuits, oh and if you can work it into the conversation tell them that you are an “Engineer”…

Oh and you should really have to have the word “Twunt” written across your forehead in thick black marker pen before you enter the shop.

It must be great fun running a LBS Google Showroom…

klunky
    Free Member

If I can’t find it cheaper online I simply “shoplift” the desired item.

hora
    Free Member

OP trolling has been done to death. Its a clever art nowadays winding people up. You need to learn it or not bother.

saxabar
    Free Member

Ahh, brings back fond memories of Top Tips from Viz

cookeaa

OP trolling has been done to death. Its a clever art nowadays winding people up. You need to learn it or not bother.

It’s more like light trolling I’d say. should we call it “Storolling”, OP’s after a bite but it’s not going to be a 10 pager is it…

You need to come up with a position that most people find irksome or objectionable whiles’t not strictly being against the law or utterly immoral, then you just need to claim you’re simply “Being Honest…” or “Just Telling it how it is…” and accuse STWists en-masse of being Thin skinned/hand wringing/lefty/Middle class/affluent/tubby/etc… which of course we collectively are… but that’s not the point.

FuzzyWuzzy

*yawn*, you could have baited far more people by not being so obvious…

rocketman
    Free Member

It depends. One lbs is a glass-and-marble emporium and I sometimes wander in to look at the latest and greatest bling. The staff are all super-pro but friendly in a sanctimonious kind of way. Have never bought anything and they know it 🙂

The other lbs is yer typical lbs where you go in for a spoke and come out with a pair of wheels. Apart from OE components they are also pretty good at price matching the online shops, or at least getting so close it makes no difference.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Don’t normally respond to threads from PW as he’s an obvious twunt. So I’ve reported it for either trolling, or being unsympathetic to people like John who ran my LBS for the last 15 years but shut it for good and was declared bankrupt earlier this year, for the exact reason specified.

BAN HIM!!!!!

_daveR
    Free Member

I went to my LBS recently to get some XT brakes and have them fitted.

Asked the price £110 per end. I then asked if they would price match online to which they said they couldn’t. Fair enough, so asked if they would fit them for free if I bought them there and then. No, fitting was going to cost £20 per end.
    I then asked what they would charge to fit brakes I supplied… £20 per end. So I bought them online and saved myself £60!

Seems a bit backwards really?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

daveR perhaps they just declined to do something at a loss?

Duggan

I’M SO WOUND UP RIGHT NOW 😡

wwaswas

Duggan, just now;

parkesie
    Free Member

I traveled 70 miles to my old lbs to buy a bike and new clothing they are that good. I know my sizes and will buy kit off the internet so dont need to try in a shop b4 hand.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OP’s a bit of a douche, my not-so-local-bike-shop closed down after a drop in trade atributed to the bigger online retailers (and an Evans opening up in the next town), which means no more Saturday morning XC shop rides followed by tea and biscuits in the shop 🙁 Not that I’m cynical but perhapse people like the OP are part of the reason for the growth in ‘Sportives’ especialy those run by online retailers.

LBS Saturday ride – free
    Wiggle Sportive – £35

Worth paying 50p more for stuff form the LBs then!

Seems a bit backwards really?

Not really, they made £40 for twiddling an allen key for 15 minutes. No stock to deal with, etc etc etc.

dibboid
    Free Member

I only go in mine as they usually have donuts on the counter.

I’ve never seen donuts on the counter in leisure lakes. 🙁 might have to find me a new lbs. I seem to be missing out on the deep fried doughy delights. 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We cracked a beer once my new build was finished – that was after the visiting rep had got us all pies too. (I don’t even work there)

boblo
    Free Member

Aaaah Mike, I see a link between:

mikewsmith – Member
    Currently not in the shape to do it,

and

that was after the visiting rep had got us all pies

🙂 🙂

dibboid
    Free Member

We cracked a beer once my new build was finished – that was after the visiting rep had got us all pies too. (I don’t even work there)

I’ve spent loads (to me) in there and didn’t even get offered a cuppa. 😥

might report this post to the mods on the grounds of intent to make me cry mad. 😀

pussywillow
    Free Member

[quote_daveR – Member
    I went to my LBS recently to get some XT brakes and have them fitted.

Asked the price £110 per end. I then asked if they would price match online to which they said they couldn’t. Fair enough, so asked if they would fit them for free if I bought them there and then. No, fitting was going to cost £20 per end.
    I then asked what they would charge to fit brakes I supplied… £20 per end. So I bought them online and saved myself £60!

Seems a bit backwards really?[/quote]

Exactly my point!
    please don’t tell the mods on me, 😆
    It’s not trolling, it’s just stating a fact of what’s genuinely happening in the real world.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[Biting]
    People will sell for a combination of that they can get and what they have to.
    However you can’t expect someone to sell at a loss, the business models are different. Buy it grey, pile it high sell it cheap is great but as you find you can’t try it on, need to cover postage etc. I wonder if the direct sales model would continue with free postage & returns if everyone had to order 5 things and return 4 for every purchase (at the cost to the retailer).

In the end if you turned up taking the piss like you describe in a shop I was in I’d tell you to piss off. No need to be nice as your not actually a customer.

tomhoward

I see what I like online, then go to my LBS and buy it (once I’ve had a chat to all the staff, had a brew, some cake, watched an hour or 3 of the tour…..).

You’ll miss ’em when they’re gone…

To the OP. Off day today was it?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

thats a bit different to trying stuff on in the shop, that’s just asking for a price and deciding to save the labour money.

wrecker
    Free Member

I always get offered a coffee in mine, which I don’t expect. I do buy online, but normally high ticket items which offer me a substantial saving. I would like to buy more from them, but the items which I would buy from a LBS (clothing, gloves, shoes, helmets etc) are a bit lacking in terms of range. They are top chaps who always try to help out, and normally get a slab of beer from me at Xmas.

pussywillow
    Free Member

In the end if you turned up taking the piss like you describe in a shop I was in I’d tell you to piss off. No need to be nice as your not actually a customer.

But how would you know I wasn’t going to but anything!?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘anyone else use local bike shops for trying sizes out?’ is closed to new replies.