Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone else use a 'long' stem?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Seems that fashion now dictates that unless you are an XC whippet you must use a circa 50mm stem. People who have seen pics of my bike always seem to imply that my bike must be unrideable with a stem like that and I ‘must change it’

For the record its 100mm, in conjunction with a Thomson layback on frames with longish top tubes. Not everyone is gnarr…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Face/Palm

Just because we like it doesn’t mean it’s fashion. I generally find long stems unwieldy. It sounds like the bike is too short for you as you have a layback post and long stem.

However if it works good for you, I assume you have tried a different setup to know that it makes no difference. 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, I much prefer a longer stem too – just can’t get on with short stem positioning.

andrewh
    Free Member

Mine are:
    100mm
    90mm
    90mm
    90mm
    50mm
    50mm
    Wierd integrated tri-bars/stem combo thingy
    They work for me.

coatesy
    Free Member

110mm on my 18″ Five, get to ride plenty of short stemmed bikes, and don’t really like what they do to the handling. Was introduced to mountain bikes when 150mm was the norm for my size bike, so 110mm seems short to me. At the end of the day, it’s your bike, and you’re riding it, it doesn’t affect anyone else, and if you’re happy then why let anyone else affect you (unless, of course, you aren’t, in which case try a shorter one, you may well like it).

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I ride a 100mm because it fits,

You can only compare it to xc bikes as there where no trail bikes when 120mm stems where all the rage.

bikebouy
    Free Member

100mm on an XCJaybouy whippet machine.

Loud & Proud.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

100mm stem & flat bars that are only 680mm wide.
    I even wear lycra, helmet without a peak & usually ride without a camelback.
    I’m just so unfashionable it isn’t true! (or possibly I prefer function for my riding over form)

chiefgrooveguru

100mm stem & flat bars that are only 680mm wide.
    I even wear lycra, helmet without a peak & usually ride without a camelback.
    I’m just so unfashionable it isn’t true! (or possibly I prefer function for my riding over form)

Are you making the enlightened point that the function suits your riding or the more typically STW point that anyone doing what you’re not doing is clearly a fashion victim? I use a 50mm stem, 711mm bars, baggies, a helmet with peak and a Camelbak, all for functional reasons.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Next we should all mock some wendyball players and make a sweeping generalisation about people using 6″ skill compensators and turning their bike upside down.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’m not making a point of anything, just stating what I use for my riding style.
    Some people really do need to cheer up a bit in the morning!

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a wide range of different bikes that are good at different things.
    These bikes also have a wide range of different length stems on them.
    At one end of the scale a have a 110 stem and at the other i have a 50mm.

Set the bike up how it feels good to you and don’t worry about what other people are doing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

75 and 90mm. It comes down to body and bike geometry, trying different arrangements to find what feels best and nothing to do with fashion. My bikes fit and ride perfectly for me with these stems.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

On my road bike, yes.

missnotax
    Free Member

110mm on my Santa Cruz (my faster bike), 90mm on the Orange (my ‘do-everything’ bike) and 70mm on the Kona (my downhilly one) 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

110mm across the board here to make the bikes fit. I’m tall but with a really long back/arms for height so need a bit more length than the average punter it seems.

marting
    Free Member

100mm ish stems on all my bikes (roadie, TT, FS, hardtail, fixed), except Brompton which has no stem. Why? Because it works. The limits on my enjoyment and performance are on the inside of my skin, and the rest is all secondary.

jedi

45mm stems on both mine 🙂

Jerome
    Free Member

Still riding crazy long stems here.
    130mm on my marin hardtail with short straight bars – old school
    130mm on my SS 29er – coupled with jones bars so feels a lot shorter
    120m on my cross bike and road bike
    130mm on my old road bike
    90mm on my hemlock – and still struggling to be happy with that so short.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

110mm on my 20″ Orange 5.

Improved the fit loads compared to the shorter one it came with.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else use a 'long' stem?’ is closed to new replies.