Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ANyone else tried these foamy inserts in their tyres ?
  • weeksy

Mate came over on Sat, we were fitting new cranks into his T-130 and some new rubber on his wheels. He had a pair of foamy inserts to fit as well. With the WTB Trail Boss this was nigh on impossible but 25 mins later we got it fitted, some fluid in there and inflated. The other with the Nobby Nic went in OK. Both inflated fairly easily though i must admit.

I rode it and not sure if we went too low on the pressures but squirmy on the rear doesn’t even begin to describe it. OK in a straight line but any angles of lean/turn and you felt like you were rolling off the edge.

To say they’re currently open to debate is an understatement.

russyh
    Free Member

What pressures were you running?

otsdr
    Free Member

I don’t see the connection between the insert and using an inappropriate pressure. If only one could have a handy portable device that would allow pressurized air to be inserted in the tyres on the trailside…

The promise of “lower pressure” is misleading – you are decreasing the volume of the tyre, so you shouldn’t rely on the numeric value of whatever pressure you were using before.

weeksy

What pressures were you running?

15-18 give or take depending on accuracy of the guage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

More air required.

weeksy

Even after adding more, i don’t get the impression my mate was fully convinced by the feel, although i didn’t try them again with more pressure.

After seeing the faff to get them on, they’re certainly not on my list of things to try anyhow.

benpinnick

You wait until he needs to put a tube in after an unrepairable tear…. Oh how you’ll laugh.

joebristol

I was going to ask what pressures. I’ve not got inserts but forgot to pump up the tyres on my hardtail the other day and the rear was feeling squirmy on hard berms. Checked pressure after the ride and was on about 20psi front and back.

25mm inner rim width with a 2.35 Magic Mary on the front (felt ok at that pressure) and 2.3 DHR2 on the back. Find 25 psi is about right on that wheel combo at the back. Snakeskin and Exo casings.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Using backer rod does create an odd feeling if you do go too low. For normal tyre pressures that won’t tear Exo tyres I’ve had good results and no fitting drama with both the backer rod and the Vittoria Airliner, both on 25 and 30 internal rims

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I always assumed the advantage of these was rim and thus pinch protection, not the ability to drop pressures. I fancied trying them to give me a bit more confidence hitting Rocky stuff at speed.

17psi front on 2.6MM, and 25 rear on a 2.3 slaughter. I’d only bother with the rear anyway.

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Ooops I accidentally reported a post when I meant to reply to one – whoever it was, sorry!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Nobeer, I’d agree. If you race, a lot of them will let you finish the run if you puncture but for me its to stop the rocks from killing rims. I only run the rear, I do get a few rim strikes on the front but way less than the back.

fathomer

So rather than starting a new thread, what’s best, insert and say an exo tyre or no insert and a double down tyre? I have a week in the Pyrenees coming up which involves a lot of climbing so trying to keep weight down but want some added protection out back.

muggomagic

I’ve had the backer rod in my tyres on the capra and at the start it certainly felt different in a good way. As in tyres felt less squirmy and it seemed to be quieter. The problem I’ve had is that it doesn’t seem to last very long it tears pretty easily and when you do get a rim strike it seems that it punctures the foam, so it may do enough to protect it from that strike but if you get another in that area then it no longer provides any protection. My last one in the rear was absolutely shredded after a few months.
    I think the original good feeling has made me think paying for a proper system might be worth it. At £150 Cushcore doesn’t seem that expensive especially if it saves rims and tyres. Plus everyone that uses it seems to rave about it.

benpinnick

Inserts won’t stop you tearing tyres, Double Downs won’t let you run silly low pressures. So its really which is more important. You could also look at EXO+ with an insert I guess. I think they are starting to become available.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

As Ben said above, inserts are really to stop rim damage and DD over Exo is if you tear tyres.

Drac

Ooops I accidentally reported a post when I meant to reply to one – whoever it was, sorry!

Akers

@fathomer

fathomer

So rather than starting a new thread, what’s best, insert and say an exo tyre or no insert and a double down tyre? I have a week in the Pyrenees coming up which involves a lot of climbing so trying to keep weight down but want some added protection out back.

I did a week around Ainsa back in November running DHF/DHR2 EXO’s, only had one puncture (on the 1st day) landing flat from a drop-off straight on to jagged rock, don’t think any any insert would have stopped it. Increased my rear tyre to 29psi, didn’t have anymore problems. In fairness the guides had warned us to increase our pressures due to the rockiness. I think only 2 others had puctures all week out of 14 riders and 4 guides.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sam, I reckon an insert (I’m gonna go for rimpact) with whatever tyre and pressure you use in the Lakes will see ye reet mate.

ElVino

Downtime podcast

I listened to the inventor of Cush Core inserts on the Downtime podcast, he was talking about them basically being extra suspension damping for your tyres. I must admit I was convinced while listening to the “Science” but but still unlikely to ever push the button!

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve bought some of these: https://www.rimpactmtb.com/

Will fit them this week. Much denser than backer rod but still light. Will let you know how they perform!

Alex

Rimpact’s for me. So far so good. Don’t make a noticeable weight difference. Not stupidly hard to fit. Not really running lower pressures, but did drop them a couple of PSI just to see if it made any kind of difference. It certainly hasn’t made them worse/squirmy.

Guys at Rimpact are really helpful as well. I’ll definitely be getting the wider one for the rear of the chubby hardtail. Hit the rim and burped the tyre yesterday. At 12PSI, they absolutely make sense!

fathomer

Thanks everyone. To be honest I’m more worried about pinch flats than tears, I’m seem to pinch on a semi regular basis even with 30psi in the rear on rocky trails I know and can push on a bit. I’m not a biffer either 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge Subscriber

Sam, I reckon an insert (I’m gonna go for rimpact) with whatever tyre and pressure you use in the Lakes will see ye reet mate.

That’s what I’ve been thinking, probably a 2.5″ Aggressor with a Rimpact.

bigfoot
    Free Member

use the vittoria airliner with a DD minion at 25psi on the rear, mostly riding in the lakes. had this bike since may and the rim is still ding free which is really good going for me. still tear a tyre now and again but since going DD i’ve just had one little hole through the tread on thursday night which sealed up.
    the main thing for me with the airliner is rim protection and being able to finish a race stage if i do flat, although they are a bit of a pain to carry if you end up needing to put a tube in, luckily only done it once, the other time left it hidden by the road as it was only a short detour on the drive home.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ANyone else tried these foamy inserts in their tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.