Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else suffer from this and whats the cure ?
  • bigsi
    Free Member

When i got back from last nights ride and was washing the bike down i noticed that one of the bolts that connects the bottom of my RP23 shock to the frame of my SC BlurLT has come lose. Haven’t had a chance to look at it in more detail but it looks like it should just tighten up 😕

Is this something that i should expect from time to time with a full susser (this is my first one) and so is just something to be aware of and keep an eye on OR is it a more serious problem.

Anyone have the answer or had similar and if so whats the answer ?

Cheers

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont know the bike in question but I’ve never had a shock bolt come loose, no fastener should come loose if it is correctly torqued and has the required washers and/or nylock top bit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

1 Yeti, 1 Kona, 2 Spesh full bouncers, thousands of miles: Never had a pivot come loose.

I’d threadlock it if I were you….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sv

your new friend.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve had a shock mount bolt come loose, nip it up a bit more and put some threadlock on

bigsi
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

I’m off to B&Q this afternoon to get some,,, been meaning to for some time but never quite got round to it 😳

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so i got the threadloc stuff and got the threaded end of the bolt out and used the threadloc on the bolt and have got it done back up as tightly as possible but its still not tight. Should the bolt tighten up fully or should i still be able to turn the bolt using an allen key ?

sq225917
    Free Member

does it tighten into another bolt on the other side of the frame.

Biffer
    Free Member

Oh dear – sounds like a visit down to Quest – lol

coffeeking
    Free Member

We need to know a little more about what the bolt bolts into etc, or some photos of the parts involved. It could be that you’re just not holding the other side so its rotating in place as you turn, it could be that your bolt/nut has stripped a thread, or it could be something else. Without pics it’s hard to grasp what your pivot bolts look like.

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok sorry, bit vague really. Not with the bike at the moment so cant do photos of the bolt etc other than the one on the sc web site –

Its the rod on the far right which has a female thread on each end and then the two bolts in the middle of the photo which attach to each end through the top of the seat stays where a set of bearings sits.

I am trying to do the bolts up with an allen key on each end so its not rotating as i turn it. The thread hasn’t stripped out and it doesn’t appear that the rod has broken so am a bit mistified 😕

GlenMore
    Free Member

You have a bolt going in to each end of a threaded rod? Are you using two Allen keys – one at each end??

Speshpaul

If you hold a allen key in the bolt at each end and tighten until they are tight, then its done up. the rod could just be turning in the bearing, which is ok.

younggeoff

Ok, I know which bolt you’re on about, there’s the bearing shaft that goes thru the lower shock eye (bush etc). If the bolt still won’t tighten when using both allen keys you’ve stripped the thread on the shaft or the bolt if it’s the shaft you can either buy a new shaft or tap the thread a bit more and put a longer bolt in. You could try swapping the bolts on each end over to see if it’s the bolt

bigsi
    Free Member

I am holding an allen key in both ends but it doesn’t seem to be tightening up at all !!

bigsi
    Free Member

cheers younggeoff I’ll have a better look at it tonight.

ferrit
    Free Member

bigsi, I had this problem – wasn’t tightening when allening both ends.

Turned out I’d snapped the central shaft bolt in half. Rubbish.

New one from Jungle required!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else suffer from this and whats the cure ?’ is closed to new replies.