Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone else struggle with binoculars?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

My left eye is very dominant. In fact, my optician more or less said “your right eye’s shite mate.”

As a keen ornithologist, the dominance issue has caused problems when using binoculars; mainly a double image (not collimation problems).

What may seem obvious to you lot evaded my thoughts for years (I’m 50). WHAT ABOUT A MONOCULAR?

Derrrr.

So I ordered a Hawke Endurance monocular. It’s bloody brilliant. Fast acquisition of subject with my non-shite eye and great quality glass for a bright, sharp image with no aberrations.

And I’ve sold my bino’s so my mono cost me just £30. Rrp £105.

Result.

mav12
    Free Member

been using a opticron monocular for years now, cant get on with binos

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

More portable too. I’m ok with bins & thought, ‘what’s the point of a monocular?’ but then thought, ‘It’s the same idea as a spotting scope only smaller’.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The Opticron is highly regarded.

EGF – exactly. And soooo light. I’m well chuffed with move to the single barrel!

kayak23

Isn’t a monocular essentially just a telescope?

CraigW
    Free Member

I usually seem to get double vision when I try using binoculars. Maybe because I am wearing glasses, so eyes too far from the lenses, or not lined up.
    So I’m thinking I should try a monocular instead.
    I do have a spotting scope, that works nicely. Though a bit too big to carry on a walk, and needs a tripod to set it up. Or I just use my camera with a telephoto lens.

Flaperon

Can you not just close one eye?

seadog101

#metoo.

And in my job, which involves using bin’s frequently, every day, it sucks. Same issue as OP, very dominant left eye, which came about front having a lazy eye as a kid. Fixed at the time by wearing of an eye patch that made my eyes point in the same direction (unless I’m drunk and/or very tired).

Kind of got used to looking through bins and accepting that one lens is next to useless.

I find that bin’s with independent diopter adjustment are better, however, these limit the useful range if you want to look at things nearby and tend to be very very expensive ones.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always used to get double vision when using bins, back when I was a kid and the only pair I had access to was my Dad’s. Turned out they’d been dropped and one of the prisms was out of whack.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Turned out they’d been dropped and one of the prisms was out of whack.

Yep, had that before (Opticron Oasis as it happens) I’ve looked through a few binocs that were out of whack, maybe folk thought they had a dodgy eye?

mrmoofo

I thought it was just me ,,,

dropoff

Sounds just what I’m looking for, can I ask which magnification you went with ? Cheers

crikey
    Free Member

You know that most binoculars come with an independent adjustment, usually on the right eye?

Not just expensive ones, most of them will have it.

jamesoz

Something I’ve always wondered, in films they show a double circle when looking through bins. The only time I used them I saw one circle, which I assume is correct and films are bollocks.

sirromj

It’s merely a visual aid to allow the viewer to know the person is surveying the scene from afar rather than the viewer deliberating which is the more likely: teleportation or the passing of time. (phew, that saved me making the joke asking why everyone is rummaging through bins while looking through binoculars).

jamesoz

Awsome, what a sheltered and binocular free life I’ve led.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yes, I just need to pronounce it more slowly.

Bye.
    Knock.
    You.
    Lars.

budgierider67

I’ve got this one;

https://www.birders-store.co.uk/hawke-endurance-ed-8×42-monocular.html

Excellent bit of kit & a great shop too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bye.
    Knock.
    You.
    Lars.

Youv’e been watching ‘Snatch’!

seadog101

You know that most binoculars come with an independent adjustment, usually on the right eye?

Not really what I Meant. Most come with focus adjust that serves both eyes, and only the right can be set stronger or weaker.

With independent adjustment there is no central focus puller for both lenses simultaneously. Better bins have greater depth of field, so each eye is set (independently) and forget about it.

As I said it works great for certain distances, not so for closer ranges.

PS, I work on a ship, so tend to be looking for things on the horizon, about 12 miles or more.

epicyclo

Same here. Got a nice Minox monocular which solved the problem.

nbt

seadog101 wrote:

Not really what I Meant. Most come with focus adjust that serves both eyes, and only the right can be set stronger or weaker.
    With independent adjustment there is no central focus puller for both lenses simultaneously. Better bins have greater depth of field, so each eye is set (independently) and forget about it.
    As I said it works great for certain distances, not so for closer ranges.
    PS, I work on a ship, so tend to be looking for things on the horizon, about 12 miles or more.

Not picking on yopu, but just for those who are unsure how this works – you would normally set the focus on binoculars using your left eye, then adjust the focus on the right to make it correct. I can see that if you have a very dominant eye that the adjustment may not be enough, or that if youre switching from very near to very far you may need to adjust the right eye a bit, but for most people it’s a case of set and forget

TiRed

You’re doing it wrong. I have a +3 difference between my eyes. I can still use binoculars without issue. In fact it’s really the only time I have binocular vision. I set the focus on my left (weak) eye. Then adjust the +\- to my right dominant eye and voila! I can also do this with my glasses (still a +3 difference with correction). Look for a set with a wide correction.

stumpy01

+1 on the above stuff about using the built in adjustment.

Although,I guess you could have a situation where the difference between eyes is so great that the adjustment range doesn’t cover the difference.

My Wife’s eyesight is pretty terrible, but she gets on fine with a pair of Nikon binoculars I got her for about £100.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Youv’e been watching ‘Snatch’!

🙂 One of my favourite films!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sounds just what I’m looking for, can I ask which magnification you went with ? Cheers

8×42.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else struggle with binoculars?’ is closed to new replies.