Anyone else see the LOW flying Tornado over Ladybower Res today?

Home Forum Chat Forum Anyone else see the LOW flying Tornado over Ladybower Res today?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Anyone else see the LOW flying Tornado over Ladybower Res today?
  • pacemaker

A friend of mine spends all his spare time climbing hills all over the place to photograph low flying jets and has some amazing photo’s.

http://www.jetscapephotography.co.uk/

We were driving down the road from slippery stones approaching Derwent dam and it came past very low, threw a big floaty left hand turn and powered off down the valley.

Awesome!

spchantler

we saw couple yesterday and three today in calderdale, bet it was the same one(s), they could have been in the peak in what five minutes? anyone care to work it out?

B.A.Nana

These are mine, we were semi-involved in a rescue on a climbing crag on Snowdon. The couple had become cragfast, unable to climb a pitch, clueless how to rappel off. We were asked to get them off, then told to stand down, at which we sorted them out for a heli rescue and left them. When asked to assist again, we were out of reach (other than shouting) and we though it more dangerous for us all to descend to help them out, so a big yellow bird came and got them.

I got buzzed to hell at Brechfa recently by a couple of Hawks. Loud. Low. Fast.

AWESOME!

mrmo

been on the dam when pne went over low!!! a few years ago.

Although for insanity, was at top Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham when a Tornado flew through a gap in the hills below me, i was at 300m the bottom of the gap it was flying through was 200m….

ScottChegg

Probably 617 sq.

Dambusters anniversary is next Friday; 70 years.

They are likely practicing for the day.

hora

Spchantler could be but fuel? Whats their range without fuel pods?!

As in Friday next week???

Park elsewhere and loop to watch ride? 8) What time is it??

redthunder

Wye Valley…

This plane was later crashed and the pilot killed 🙁

Anyway, fav shot over my fav trails 🙂

155612556_f15519ff47_o by SGMTB, on Flickr

hora

The Dambusters-fame reservoir.

Absolutely gobsmacked and loved it. It flew below and around me (I was on Whinstone Lee Tor) following the contours of the Reservoir.

Anyone else??? (Fellow stw’er Slowrider was on Winhill when it passed)

Is that even allowed? It should be a weekly fixture!

fisha
    Premier Icon darkcove
    Subscriber

The anniversary is Thursday 16th. I think a 617 Tornado and the BBMF Lancaster are scheduled to do a flypast of Derwent Dam. Planning on riding over cutgate to the reservoirs to watch.

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

Yeah it flew over Marsden this afternoon too. They were out on Sunday as well, they fly various jets up and down the Pennines periodically scaring the sheep and whatnot. Sometimes we get Chinook-type things too, they’re flipping noisy buggers.

We had the only operational UK based Lancaster fly over unannounced on the way to Blackpool last year, that was pretty special.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Probably 617 sq.

Dambusters anniversary is next Friday; 70 years.

They are likely practicing for the day.

What’s happening on the Friday? I went there 5 years ago for the 65th anniversary, they had the BBMF; the Lancaster did 3 low passes then it was joined by two Tornadoes for another couple of passes. Great day out, loads of people. I parked at Snake Inn then rode down the hill and over Lockerbrook, round the res then climbed the hill on the far side to sit above the dam and look down on it.

motorman

Always lots of low jets round these parts 😉

AndyPaice

Saw a Dam Busters memorial flypast from WLT a few years back, lancaster, hurricane, spitfire, DC3, 2 no. tornados 🙂 was great. but need a lens longer than 80mm this time 🙁

Lancaster did 3 passes, and saw the crown on top of WLT on the first pass. Banked over us on the last pass, coming up the hill side from the water to bank over us :-0

800 pxl Lancaster Composite by subZero rider, on Flickr

This was the closest I got, cropped quite heavily due to the short lens

Lancaster 2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

willber

I was there today and saw it twice fly over cutgate

I_Ache

We often have low flying tornadoes and chinooks near work. I was driving home the other day and a Chinook crossed the M42 E2W and was actually below me. It couldn’t have been more than 50ft above the motorway!

Oh and once I was at stile cop and there was an Apache hovering watching me and my mate riding. Best audience ever!

rogerthecat

@Hora – yep, came screaming over our office as it banked round after flying over. Eldest wants to be a Biggles so he was leaping up and down when I got home from work.
    Should be a good days entertainment on Dambuster’s Day.

hora

I_ache I bribed them but their guns mysteriously jammed that day 8)

So the 16th?

tumnurkoz

@RAFBBMF
    70th Flypasts, May 13:
    15th- Woodhall Spa
    16th- Ladybower, Eyebrook & Scampton
    17th- Lincoln Cathedral
    19th- Woodhall Spa

shifter

Interesting, anyone know the timings of the flights? My Google foo aint functioning 🙁

tlr

I work in Hathersage, he did three loops through today. I reckon he was after Strava segment KOMs.

A pair of them came though down the valley yesterday much, much lower, really shook the office.

What a job.

Ho hum

Rarely see anything like that up here 🙁

I do see loads of boring passenger planes flying on there way or taking off from Edinburgh airport though, yawn!

samuri

Some of the JSP pictures up there are astounding.

I remember being in the lakes once when a Vulcan shot up the valley and blasted out over the hill seemingly a couple of feet over out heads.

I would have taken a picture but I was too busy filling my pants with shit.

I_Ache

hora – Member
    I_ache I bribed them but their guns mysteriously jammed that day

They must have been too impressed with my rad skillz!

sangobegger

Worked as a brickies labourer back in my youth. We were building a generator house on the top of Faraid head near Durness on the north coast which was about 70m short of the cliff edge (400ft high). To the left is a control tower from which the RAF control operations on the range on Cape wrath. The Tornados had been bombing periodically through out the day, so I didn’t really pay much attention to the lads who were outside of the tower looking west.
    Until that is a Tornado did a flypast at about 50 feet over the top of the tower (you couldn’t see him coming from my point of view) – Ya f****r, I nearly (probably did) fill my keks. At least I had warning of the second AND third flyboys repeating the exercise.
    Much more fun watching them drop 1000 pounders though – free fireworks courtesy of the taxpayer

Conan257

Missed the GR4’s by a day from the sound of it…

But there was a RAF Merlin doing some runs up the reservoirs, only managed mobile phone pics of him through the tree’s over Derwent damn.

hora

Last Summer we saw Merlins and Chinooks- always mid-week in the evenings around the Reservoir. Seems they try and pick the off-peak time(s) for their jaunts?

The Chinooks were awesome.

I saw a great Youtube clip this morning which I showed hora jnr. I think we are going here this Summer!:

http://wikimapia.org/9248095/Cad-West-Car-Park-Mach-Loop

Bizarrely the Hawk is the best flypast at 3.08 in!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-7zHlOi4T4

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

hora: Mach Loop can be a strange one – sometimes you can go a month without seeing a thing there, other times it’s like a traffic jam of jets going up it…

I remember biking up Garburn Pass and seeing a Typhoon fly up the valley below me, that was amazing.

Found a little bit on Google about the 70th anniversary thing, looks like the flypast is still TBC. Thursday 16th May. Booking the day off work now… 🙂

hora

Booking the day off work now

Ditto.

Premier Icon darkcove
    Subscriber

Taken from the BBMF Facebook page:

BY KIND PERSMISSION OF SEVERN TRENT WATER the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and 617 Sqn are planning to carry out a flypast on Thursday 16th May over the iconic twin towers of the Derwent Reservoir, recreating history as we commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters. The aircraft will pass overhead the reservoir between 1300 and 1315 (local time) – 3 passes by the RAF BBMF and 2 by the GR4’s of 617 Sqn.

GENERAL PUBLIC

There will be no events on the ground and there are no tickets being issued. The aircraft will continue to carry out a flypast at Chatsworth – at 1320 (local time) this is an excellent viewing area for the general public as there are facilities in place for parking and spectators wishing to photograph the aircraft. Standard car parking charges of £3.00 will apply – WWII veterans will be exempt from car parking charges, with kind permission from Chatsworth.

Before coming to Upper Derwent Valley, please be aware of the following:

· Parking is restricted and will be allocated on first come, first served basis..

· The road up from Fairholmes to Derwent Dam will be closed to ALL traffic on the day.

· The road from the A57 to Fairholmes may be closed if it becomes overly busy such that access to emergency vehicles etc is compromised.

· Police will enforce parking restrictions on neighbouring roads eg A57 and Bamford.

· Cancellation: the flypast is dependent on aircraft serviceability and weather conditions may be subject to cancellation.

· Congestion may significantly delay your departure from the area after the flypast.

These flypasts will form part of several events taking place across the country – culminating in a commemorative service at Lincoln Cathedral on Friday 17th May.

Premier Icon tuffty
    Subscriber

darkcove, you beat me to it lol
    Thinking if I bike over from Hope one of the best spots will be WLT?? Worried I will show myself up when I throw up trying to get up the flagstones on the way lol
    The other bits I have biked I don’t remember good views of the Res. but I am open to suggestions.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

I was on holiday in Cyprus 2 weeks ago, staying with friends in Episkopi. The Red Arrows are based round the corner in Akitori so we got to see them every day.

Premier Icon davetrave
    Subscriber

darkcove – Member
    Taken from the BBMF Facebook page:

BY KIND PERSMISSION OF SEVERN TRENT WATER the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and 617 Sqn are planning to carry out a flypast on Thursday 16th May over the iconic twin towers of the Derwent Reservoir, recreating history as we commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters. The aircraft will pass overhead the reservoir between 1300 and 1315 (local time) – 3 passes by the RAF BBMF and 2 by the GR4’s of 617 Sqn.

GENERAL PUBLIC

There will be no events on the ground and there are no tickets being issued. The aircraft will continue to carry out a flypast at Chatsworth – at 1320 (local time) this is an excellent viewing area for the general public as there are facilities in place for parking and spectators wishing to photograph the aircraft. Standard car parking charges of £3.00 will apply – WWII veterans will be exempt from car parking charges, with kind permission from Chatsworth.

Before coming to Upper Derwent Valley, please be aware of the following:

· Parking is restricted and will be allocated on first come, first served basis..

· The road up from Fairholmes to Derwent Dam will be closed to ALL traffic on the day.

· The road from the A57 to Fairholmes may be closed if it becomes overly busy such that access to emergency vehicles etc is compromised.

· Police will enforce parking restrictions on neighbouring roads eg A57 and Bamford.

· Cancellation: the flypast is dependent on aircraft serviceability and weather conditions may be subject to cancellation.

· Congestion may significantly delay your departure from the area after the flypast.

These flypasts will form part of several events taking place across the country – culminating in a commemorative service at Lincoln Cathedral on Friday 17th May.

My wife is an Operations Controller at Lossiemouth, home of 617 Sqn. Just waiting on her letting me know what the route is the GR4s will be taking – opportunity to see them whizzing down from NE Scotland at various points…

hora

Thank you. Hmmmmmm Chatsworth or Dam?

Sorry, its going to be the Dam. Hard to say why.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Thinking if I bike over from Hope one of the best spots will be WLT?? Worried I will show myself up when I throw up trying to get up the flagstones on the way lol
    The other bits I have biked I don’t remember good views of the Res. but I am open to suggestions.

tuffty: 5 years ago I watched the 65th anniversary events (same thing basically) from THIS POINT

Rode round the res, pushed/carried up the Walkers Clough track then rode south along the ridge. Got stopped by rangers a couple of times (be warned, they will be out in force) but generally they were OK about it. It was quite busy up there as well, get there well in advance, be prepared to spend 1hr+ sitting in the heather waiting!

Premier Icon tuffty
    Subscriber

Looks a good spot, not many places that are “legal” on a bike with views that aren’t obscured by trees. Did the rangers stop you because you were on bikes??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else see the LOW flying Tornado over Ladybower Res today?’ is closed to new replies.