Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone else running after market hoses on XT M785 brakes?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a pair of M785 brakes and have fitted some Superstar hoses but no matter what I do, the brakes are mushy.

All the fixings are tight and no air comes out when I bleed them. I am a bit puzzled and was wondering if anyone has had similar issues or any ideas what might be causing it.

I am wondering if it is to do with the banjo bolt not going into the caliper far enough now there is a pair of copper washers either side of the banjo. If this is likely to cause issues, I assume a Goodridge kit will suffer the same unless it comes with an extra long banjo / caliper bolt.

Cheers

suffolk
    Free Member

Hold the hoses between thumb and finger with one hand, pump the brake (hard) with the other – can you feel the hoses expand slightly? Some hoses are not reinforced properly, had the with some jagwire hyflow hoses. Buy Goodrich or standard, I think the shimano hoses on the newer brakes have narrower internal diameter though so best to stick with them if wishing to avoid issues.

Superficial
    Free Member

They’re difficult to bleed well. My money’s on air in the system still.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They’re difficult to bleed well. My money’s on air in the system still.

Yes, agreed.
    That said, aftermarket hoses are an utter waste of money IMO.

Mister-P
    Free Member

They are very easy to bleed with the right equipment. Bleed them with the free stroke screw wound out and they should come perfect. My money is on the hoses not being right though.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth remembering that they have quite a low leverage ratio (this is where a lot of their power comes from), which causes a long/soft lever feel.Try levelling the front lever, fit the bleed bucket and top it up, tilt the bike slightly to the left so any air bubbles have an upward only route, and flick the lever for a few minutes, any air should come up through the bucket, the lever will then feel as good as it’s going to get, which you can then compare the rear with(and remember, the air will only travel upwards, so this won’t work if you have humps and high spots in the hose).

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m using the Epic Bleed Solutions kit to bleed them.

The hose isn’t expanding – I’m convinced its because the banjo / caliper bolt isn’t going in far enough because of the brass washers. I’m going to try and stick the stock hoses on and see what happens.

I only use after market hoses to colour code (goes and hides….). If they bleed up OK with the stock hoses, then I’ll buy a Goodridge kit because they use o rings, so will hopefully kit better.

Ive forced a lot of fluid through them with the bleed kit and no bubbles come out.

Thanks for your advice.

continuity
    Free Member

Doesn’t the new shimano hose have a thinner inner diameter than the old one?

Also whyever would you need to replace the hoses on a brand new pair of brakes?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

could be a dodgy seal in the lever? Ever any sign of fluid on the outside of the bracket?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Refitted the stock hose on the rear brake today and its no better.

What I did notice is that when forcing fluid through from the caliper end is that a lot escaped from under the master cylinder cap rather than go into the other syringe. Not sure if this points to a bad set.

Also undid the bleed screw and flicked the lever and a fair amount of air came out. No more is coming out now though…I spent 15 minutes pulling and releasing the lever and no more air came out. Lever action still feels a bit poo though.

Bit hacked off really.

robarnold
    Free Member

I run 785’s with braided Goodridge hoses and all the factory fittings, they’re mega firm now but took a bit of fettling to get them right initially as the instructions you get with them are absolutely shite. Buy well, buy once. Consider Goodridge stuff to be the cat’s pyjamas

mindmap3
    Free Member

Which goodridge kit number do you need? Hotlines said it was 104, but the pictures don’t show a banjo so am thinking that I need the same kit as I did for my old Saints.

I’ve followed the bleeding instructions to a tee, but they feel shit. When you bled yours, did you get any fluid escaping from under the master cylinder cap?

What tricks did you do to get them firm?

Mister-P
    Free Member

There shouldn’t be fluid leaving the system from anywhere other than the bleed nipple on the calliper or the bleed port on the top of the lever. You could have a nick in the lever diaphragm.

singlespeedstu

mindmap3 – Member

Which goodridge kit number do you need?

You need kit 107.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4709

Though you do need to use the original Shimano banjo bolt as it’s longer than the Goodridge one.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m looking at replacing my M775 disc brakes with M785’s..
    I have the goodridge kit on my M775’s, can I use the hoses on the M785 and do I need to buy a connector kit?
    Cheers

Goldigger
    Free Member

Anyone?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I never ended up fitting Goodridge hoses because the colour I wanted was out of stock at the time. What connection do you have at the calliper end? If it is a banjo, you should be able to swap it over but you will need to use the calliper bolt that comes standard with the 785 brakes because its really long.

_daveR
    Free Member

I’m just about to try and fit some jagwire hoses to my m785s… hopefully I won’t hit these problems!

Goldigger
    Free Member

mindmap3 – Member

I never ended up fitting Goodridge hoses because the colour I wanted was out of stock at the time. What connection do you have at the calliper end? If it is a banjo, you should be able to swap it over but you will need to use the calliper bolt that comes standard with the 785 brakes because its really long.

Pretty sure I used kit 104..

At the calliper end I have the m8 connector,
    So all I would need to get is the Goodridge banjo’s? as I need to reuse the shimano bolt, I assume I can reuse the O-rings/washers?

Lever end I should be able to just swap over?

Thanks 🙂

Pridds

Yes just need the banjo kit

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else running after market hoses on XT M785 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.