Anyone else riding fixed wheel off road?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone else riding fixed wheel off road?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone else riding fixed wheel off road?
  • umop3pisdn

Sadly the setup cost is a little too high for me at the moment, but it’s an avenue that I intend to explore in full in the future… out of interest are you running just a front brake, or both?

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

What tyres for RR?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

HEEEEELLLLLLLL NO!

Guessing that wasn’t the response you were looking for?

Spin

Just a front brake and as time has passed I find I use it less and less. I toyed with putting a back brake on but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the machine. I had been riding fixed on the road for a long time before I started off road so if you haven’t ridden fixed at all before I’d recommend starting with a back brake until you get used to it.

Spin

What tyres for RR?

Bontrager Jones XR 1.8. Just (and I mean JUST) fit.

Spin

Guessing that wasn’t the response you were looking for?

TBH it’s the usual response I get! Fixed MTB isn’t as daft as it sounds though.

muckytee

You should do a video and dress like a hipster for a laugh.

You’ll be the most hardcore hipster out there. 😛

thepodge

My mate did it for years but has given up now

I’ve tried it a few times and it was fun but one ride every 6 months is enough

mau00149

Got a mate who has set up a couple of fixed mtb’s. Had a wee play on one for a while and it’s just wrong! I enjoy a good SS ride in the right terrain but fixed was just wrong, pedals were always in the wrong place for obstacles, downhills were felt as had to really control the pedals and almost reverse pedal (front brake only). He said you get used to the “quirks”, small rear wheel hops to tweak pedal positions and the like. Could possibly see it being ok(ish) on a road bike but not for mtb.

Think I will stick with the singlespeed and full sus for now thanks

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Tried it but felt a bit restricted on the downs so went back to SS.

Not saying I wouldn’t switch back for a while in the future though, there was enough there to make give it another go when I feel like a change.

(front brake only)

Spin

He said you get used to the “quirks”, small rear wheel hops to tweak pedal positions and the like

Not only do you get used to them, I’ve grown to love them. It forces me to think about trails and obstacles that I didn’t have to think about before which I’m sure has improved my riding.

umop3pisdn

Just a front brake and as time has passed I find I use it less and less. I toyed with putting a back brake on but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the machine. I had been riding fixed on the road for a long time before I started off road so if you haven’t ridden fixed at all before I’d recommend starting with a back brake until you get used to it.

More than used to fixed, and also to brakeless riding. This looks fantastic:

Spin

Tried it but felt a bit restricted on the downs so went back to SS.

It is only suitable for certain terrain. Big ups and downs are a no-no even more so than on a SS.

Spin

More than used to fixed, and also to brakeless riding.

For flowing, not too steep trails I think I could pretty much dispense with the front brake. The biggest challenge I have found is maintaining braking force on the pedals whilst my weight is far back on steep downs. At moments like that I’m glad I still have a front brake.

Spin

Well, the experiment is about a year old now and I have to say I’m loving it.

I put the fattest tyres I could fit on my Cotic Roadrat and hey presto a fixed 29er was born. After a couple of initial ‘Oh no what the f*ck have I done’ moments I’ve settled in to it and really love the challenge of fixed riding off road.

Anyone else riding fixed off road? What are you doing it on and what is your experience of it?

I know it’s not just me…

messiah

Did it for a while when my kids were tiny and all my riding was super short runs. It was a good way to make short boring rides a challenge, but now I have more time and better bikes I seldom bother. Interesting distraction for a while but I found it limited my riding after a while.
    Old Kona Explosif with track ends and a bodged flip/flop hub.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Yes. No brakes either. Nor chain. Nor handlebars.

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Pish me and my mates go no wheels or frame:

Absolutely nailed the descent yo

Spin

Yes. No brakes either. Nor chain. Nor handlebars.

Unicycle?

samuri

Yeah, but CX not MTB.

Usually just needs a slightly different line or approach to technical stuff but apart from that, it’s just riding a bike.

TurnerGuy

be careful with the brakeless riding – apparently our knees are not at all evolved for the types of stresses that trying to control your speed/braking with the legs will generate – so when your knees are prematurely knackered you will know why…

Rorschach

One of my mates just did the 3 peaks cx fixed 😯 AND he survived (true story).

Orange Crush

Chris Akrigg didn’t appear to be particularly restricted in that video of his.

Spin

One of my mates just did the 3 peaks cx fixed

Kudos to your pal for that. It does make sense on 2 counts: 1 your bike will be light for carrying. 2. You probably wont have to carry too much further than the folks on geared bikes.

However, the road sections must have been an absolute nightmare. Do you know how long it took him?

ski

Used to use my Pompino fixed on my local stuff, found it good for thinking ahead and finding the right line, some silly offs and pedal strikes made some boring sections quite fun, previous fun sections became scary mad fun

I miss that ‘do it all’ bike so much…

Seen a few guys over the years at ssuk events on fixed – top respect

tomlevell

I believe the legend that is Samuri still holds the 3 peaks fixed record.

I do do it offroad in fits and starts when I get round to it.

Originally a couple of INbreds (EBB – front disc brake only and Track End both V brakes which were more effective than the disc in use)
    Then my Ferrous for a short while with both V brakes (SSUK 2006 champ ;0)
    Now a Cotic Simple with both brakes.

If your doing steep stuff having both brakes helps enourmousley with being able to save your legs or feather the braking properly as locking slowing with the legs is a bit binary. Really struggled in mud and steep with a front brake only as if the front end let go you were left with no control and lots of dabbing and one legged pedalling and swearing a lot. The only trails I avoid doing are deep pedal cathching ruts and long long fireroad descents as it get’s a bit dull on 32:16.
    I also found front sus forks helped with the ability to plough through objects more efficiently :0)

Current fixed set up (but it’s a SS at the moment)
    Stupified Simple by tomlevell, on Flickr

Rorschach

Do you know how long it took him?

A little over 5 hours I think..

aa

I had an eccentric eno with fixed/free option so I thought i might as well. Although i kind of enjoyed it, i never rode technical trails fixed, and what i did ride i rode it slower (i think). I probably wouldn’t do it again,

Spin

Now a Cotic Simple

I looked at one of them with the idea of making a proper fixie MTB rather than the botch job I have right now. Then I had a good think about why I wanted a fixie and came up with this:

Like everyone else I have a limit to my technical ability. Pushing that ability is the buzz for me in biking. Sometimes I want to ride a bike that allows me to take my talents (or lack thereof) to steep, rocky gnarly spots, for this I have my Zesty.

What the botched up 29er fixie does is let me push my technical limits on much more straightforward trails.

A friend of mine who is a superb skier took up telemarking for very similar reasons.

mattsccm

On gravel a fixed is fun.Saves on brake blocks over the winter as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else riding fixed wheel off road?’ is closed to new replies.