Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Anyone else perform the 'female' role in their house?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I am the main carer for my kids as my wife earns much more than me and loves her career.

The assumption always was that as soon as the youngest started school I’d go back to full time employment and get back into a ‘career’ and the kids would go into morning and afternoon childcare.

Started a new surveying job last week and have just resigned. I can’t work in a formal capacity any more. I just take the piss, have no work ethic and will take liberties whenever I can. So I’ll just carry on driving a cab a couple of nights a week and being ‘mr mum’.

Ive just resigned to the fact I’ll never be rich or drive nice cars ever again.

Funny thing is the wife wanted me to quit more than me as she found she couldn’t be tthere for her work as she always had been.

So its a life of cooking and cleaning and being a housewife (with some part time work thrown in for me) which I much prefer tbh than going out and working.

Anyone else in this position? I know when women do it no one bats an eyelid.

All my university years seem wasted now.

Though at least there are no more barriers to getting a dog!

wors

Anyone else perform the ‘female’ role in their house

😯 😯 😯

neilwheel
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what other people do or think……………………….you big sissy.

binners

Pfft! I thought this was a thread about cross dressing. A heartfelt confession about the joys of strutting around the house in nice underwear and heels. I thought I’d found a kindred spirit!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I must admit, I thought this was going to be a “special interest” thread.

loddrik
    Free Member

Its in marks as it is ironic[/I]..

🙄

Right, I’m off to do the school run…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go on, admit it, some of you were thinking of this;

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I post a vid or pic of what I was thinking, the ban hammer would be very busy.

Imagine what this title would have been about on mumsnet.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I think you need a full time job to qualify for that role, and you still have to do the cooking, cleaning, etc. What do you think this is, the 1960s?

hora
    Free Member

Well Binners makes my tea and pack lunches. God knows what he does when I’m gone, gossip?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Imagine what this title would have been about on mumsnet.

The OP pegging
    the washing on the line, perhaps?

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

Me me me! For the lat year and a half! I took voluntary redundancy! I struggled to get a new job so my wife who out earns me suggested I take advantage of the opportunity to spend some time with the kids. Our boys started school in September so I am officially started looking for work again! I have had two telephone interviews this week. So my being a kept man might be coming to an end.
    It’s been great apart from the damage being the full time carer to twin 5 year old boys is doing to my mental health!!

binners

Phew! You’ve obviously not need to use any of the local phone boxes then Hora 😉

fasthaggis

I just take the piss, have no work ethic and will take liberties whenever I can.

You have spent too much time on STW,switch off the internet,NOW

HTH

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

😯
    Are you posting from the past?

Smudger666

which I much prefer tbh

the wife wanted me to quit

I’d say the two people who matter most in the arrangement are up for it. Don’t knock yourself about what anyone else thinks.

And anyone who thinks looking after your family is ‘unmanly’ needs to take a long hard look at their priorities.

On the other hand, can you just confirm my suspicions that the housework takes about half an hour after the kids go to school and you swan around for 6 hours till they get home? 🙂

hooli

I just take the piss, have no work ethic and will take liberties whenever I can.

Sounds like you are perfectly qualified to be an MP or work for London underground 😆

binners

Are you me? Certainly sounds like it.

I’m quite concerned you consider these character traits so negatively

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a friend not unlike the OP.

However one *major difference* is that she is a selfish career-minded person, bumping her boss, trading in her family car for a two-seater and he also works full time, does a bit of caring for their lovely kid (civil service so more flexible hours) then spends most of his time at football, with his mates or on ‘work trips’ to London with female work colleagues that he boasts about on Facebook – they are thinly-disguised as genuine work trips but with glaring suggestions he is shagging around as much as she is.

Really sad.

sambuka
    Free Member

Think how much biking you’ll be free to do

scaled
    Free Member

I could get you a job at my place, sounds like you’d fit right in.

Only trait you’re missing is a cynicism, but that comes with time 😀

I’m working from home, on a conference call…

takisawa2

Good on you Op.

thegreatape
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve been doing it for nearly four weeks and I’ve slowly handing the reigns back to mrs ws. Quite bloody willingly actually as its hard graft!

lunge

Depends how you define the female role really. Me and Mrs Lunge both work full time and earn similar amounts of money but I do all the cooking, ironing and general household stuff. Mainly as she has loads of work to do in the evenings/weekends and I don’t. Works well for us as, rather sadly, I find these tasks quite relaxing and she hates them.

bones
    Free Member

We don’t have kids, but I work from home, and do all the cooking, dishes n hoovering, plus the diy etc. I’m happy with the way things are. Love doing the cooking, it’s relaxing. Especially with a nice wine or ale 🙂

1-shed
    Free Member

CFH !!!! You thought what about pegging?

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup, my university years weren’t wasted though. I use what I learned at uni just as much in my private life as I did when I used to work. The year I took off is now up to twelve and I miss work in the same way as you miss a rotten tooth that’s been extracted – there’s a gap but no pain.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Single parent so I have to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

OP has his own “Bored Housewives” thread on Tumblr shokka 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I’m surprised you’ve lost your work ethic after what 5 years at home ?

As for being rich or driving nice cars who’s to say the wife’s career won’t provide those for you ?

I know a few women who are the main providers, strikes me their husbands have quite a good setup. In two cases the husbands have quite entrepreneurial “jobs”, they have afford to take risks and dabble in different businesses as they are not doing it for the money.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well I wash my own clothes and don’t moan about it, what time zone you in 1955?

br
    Free Member

Anyone else perform the ‘female’ role in their house

Nah, we have a Dishwasher 😉

Moses

I did when the kids were small, for a year or so. I enjoyed it. Since then I’ve had one or two periods of unemployment, when I switched into domestic mode.
    It suited me, go for it.

emsz
    Free Member

so, what precisely is the “female role”? 🙄

midlifecrashes

Yep, 17 and a bit years into it now. Used to work as an IT and training consultant, on a decent wedge. Continued that for the first eight years or so until my IT skills got too obsolete, though with a couple of months graft I could probably catch up again to be useful to somebody.

Switched tack, renovating and renting houses to make a decent pension pot for us, currently in saving for next deposit mode so it looks like I’m doing nowt a lot of the time(I am).

Actually started looking at getting a regular job again soon, with kids heading to Uni from next year, and two of them going to be there at once, cash will be king once again. Maybe I need a taxi, quite like that idea.

winston
    Free Member

If you mean principal child care and house husband – that’s me

Took voluntary redundancy/got paid to bugger off from a job I hated in London 15 months ago and have been doing the housebound thing

Bored now and will be back at work by January – not really cut out for such a narrowing of my world to be honest. Trick will be to earn 50% of my last wage working 50% of the time as I still want to do the school run if I can

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I always wanted to know if its as difficult as all the women make it out to be? Honestly is it really a full time job with a long lunch break and loose women on the box?

I’d like to switch roles as I can see it much more rewarding .. if equality is what feminism is all about I’m all for it. BTW I must ask do you have a moustache?

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbh its not that I’m new to it, I’ve been doing it for the last 4 years and love it, but we’ve just made the decision that this will now be my role in life, at least for the next 7 years til my youngest starts senior school. And by then I’ll have been out of the formal job market for 11 years and 48 so any career ambitions I ever may have had have now (or will have) disappeared. Always hated working anyway.

Though I’m happy with that, especially as the wife’s career is on the up and up.

And as the wife says, I am now her b*tch, which is hard to argue with really.

winston
    Free Member

Its more rewarding than being stuck in bad job
    But I’ll be honest, I feel like I’m stagnating now and much as I love being there for my children, I also want to develop my skills and do something other than cook, clean and help with primary maths homework

Then there is the money thing.I’m also lucky that my wife has a professional salary which takes the heat off but I can’t just go and spunk dosh on bike bits/snowboarding holidays/sailing kit etc like I used to and I miss that!

[Edit} Ok so I still sort of do that but feel guilty which is rubbish

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else perform the 'female' role in their house?’ is closed to new replies.