Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else in the British Steel pension scheme?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve got a small amount in this scheme from an old job I had for a couple of years. Got to make the decision of PPF or new scheme.
    Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation?

footflaps

or add it to an existing scheme, assuming you have another one….

mrmo
    Free Member

Yes, 12 years worth, Its a gamble but i went with the new scheme, at 43 still a long time for things to change.

jonnyboi

I’ve gone for pension protection scheme. very little in it but I get a slightly better lump sum if I retire early.

Also, who’s to say that the new scheme won’t struggle?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Going to speak to the helpline at lunch and get a transfer value to go into my current employers scheme.

My concern with the new scheme is the 33% stake in TSUK who currently have assets of £966m alongside liabilities of £2.3bn!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve got 10 years worth, a decent while til I retire. I went for the new scheme.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Just out of interest. Whereabouts did you all work at British Steel. I was at Teesside labs for 10 years. Managed to visit all the main works for various projects.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I worked for GrantRail who were a BS subsidiary via a few different names.

scoob67
    Free Member

8 years worth from Ravenscraig. Went for PPS due to better lump sum.
    Also noticed when reading through leaflets i was sent that pensions paid into before 2006 can be accessed from age 50 inrtead of the now normal 55.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I used to enjoy trips up to Ravenscraig. Manzils in Hamilton for great curry nights 😀

mrjmt
    Free Member

So is the new scheme just a defined contribution type scheme? Can’t seem to find this basic info anywhere!

mrjmt
    Free Member

So for info if anyone else drops into this thread, the new scheme is still a defined benefits scheme. You can still request a transfer valuation to send your money to a defined contributions scheme and therefore weigh up what performance you’d need to achieve from your defined contributions to match (or better) the new defined benefits scheme.
    The helpline were very erm, helpful and clarified everything that I needed to know.

mrmo
    Free Member

I worked? Cheltenham/Tewkesbury for most of the time in Building Systems, and spent the last 6 Months at Shotton when they relocated the tooling.

Went for the new scheme on the basis if it goes tits, there is always the PPS to fall back on and the new scheme hopefully will work out better on a 20+year basis. Don’t see me retiring in the near future so 50 is irrelevant.

ton

got a 10 year one from Bombardier and a 7 year one from Klokner steels.
    both sat frozen i think.

what could i do with them.

fasthaggis

Good if your name’s Nigel

We’re only making plans for Nigel
    He has his future in a British steel
    We’re only making plans for Nigel
    Nigel’s whole future is as good as sealed

Thanks for the XTC earworm 🙂

shinton
    Free Member

The British Steel pension just got a mention on 5 Live at around 1820. Seems like so called Financial Advisers have been convincing members to transfer out when its the wrong option. Well worth a listen on catch up for those affected.

stu170
    Free Member

And on the BBC news at 6

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else in the British Steel pension scheme?’ is closed to new replies.