Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else have an all-valve amp? (Guitar content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have one of these:

Is it considered nice by you afficionados?

thejesmonddingo

Nice little amp,I’ve got a Vox AC30,early 60s,blue cone speakers,nichetastic.
    Ian

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine never goes loud though which is a shame…

thejesmonddingo

I don’t even play anymore,mine’s sat in the attic.
    Ian

grievoustim
    Free Member

nice – I used to have a fender blues deluxe which was pretty nice, but I got rid of it as it was far too loud for home use (as valve amps need to be cranked really) and I was no longer in a band

I prefer to use digital modelling type stuff at home (used a Line 6 POD for years, but now using Amplitube on the iPhone).

I would like to start another band though – and I very much would like to get a Fender Deluxe Reverb to use with that band

molgrips
    Free Member

Amp also has a spring reverb unit. If you want to move it when it’s on do it very very gently…

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

awww..you’ve given me a hankering to dig out the old electric guitar, havn’t played mine for about 3 years (hangs head in shame)….i had a really loud peavey amp, or at least my parents thought so lol!!! (back in the day)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in Germany for 6 months and I had to leave my guitar at home.

Not that I play much, I’m too shy to do much even in front of my wife, but I really miss it.

plumber
    Free Member

I think the peavey 30 would be equivalent to the old fender hot rod deluxe models

I had a hot deluxe after trying loads of others including the peavey

It was ok but only half useful when driven about 3/4 volume and then it would kill my ears

sold it

Many years late I now have a blackstar HT-5 which is much better but still bloody loud – certainly more versatile

I’d stick some pedals in front of yours 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a digitech effects thing with a list of configs provided by famous guitarists. Some really mind bending noises on it.

However none is as good as the amp, clean or lightly overdriven.. 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

complete and utter overkill, it is useful for holding up one half of my office book case. makes an unbelievable sound, pre-amp on full with the master on just enough to register, any more well let’s just say its loud. Been great for outdoor parties, plug an ipod in the low jack, point away from the neighbours wack it on full.

bigdawg
    Free Member

mesa boogie express 5:50… 8) Goes way past 11…

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Pedals, amp modellers and effects are massively overrated Any decent amp Should not really need ’em. The Peavey valve stuff is terrific. As you say, clean or slightly overdriven they are great.If you need something louder, just mike it up and bang through a pa.

I use a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier into a custom Celestion 4 x 8 cab with just a noise gate on it for the studio and on stage, and at home either a modded ( Master volume and tone contour ) Epiphone valve junior, a hot rodded Blackheart bh5h and 1x 10 cab with an attenuator box to keep the noise down, a Marshall mgfx15, or a US blues tweed custom depending on which room I’m in.

And that’s about half the amps I’ve got, reckon it could be time to trim them down…….

molgrips
    Free Member

I know nothing about guitars 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Peavy Windsor Studio (all valve but with a turn down supressing thingy on the back so I can drive the valves hard as I like without upsetting the neighbours!)

Mesa Boogie .50 cal (I love it, battered to hell but sounds divine just waaaaay too loud for home use, even with just the 1×12 speaker).

The Marshall stack is, sadly, not valve… it’s a very obscure solid state 100 watt head that was made way back when and an old 4×12 cabinet. Sounds wonderful though… in a very METAL kinda way!

If I start playing in a band again then I may just go the Dual Rectifier route….

Dudie
    Free Member

I have this monster:

Too ****’ loud for the house. Got some ancient 60’s kit built all valve Class A thing as well, with a single 10″ speaker and a volume control and nothing else. Sounds awesome but is dangerously in need of rewiring.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve heard great things about the C30 and was gonna get one at one point, but couldn’t find any to try out.

Mine’s a Laney GH50L, great amp and had it for about 4 years now! Way too loud for most things (never really get the master above 3 even for gigs) but I love it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else have an all-valve amp? (Guitar content)’ is closed to new replies.