Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Anyone else hate the GCN+/Eurosport “cube”?
  • stripeysocks

Just does my head in, man. I used to like seeing everyone crammed into a tent/shed/shack/back of a van doing commentary or discussion.
    Also I feel that if the rule is “legs out” it should be a) for everyone and b) cycling shorts or similar. If OCh is making an effort the rest of ’em should too!

airvent
    Free Member

Why are you focusing on their legs that much?

greyspoke
    Free Member

As virtual studios go, it’s a bit pants. It looks like even the floor is virtual, which for some reason I find disconcerting.

MoreCashThanDash

I want to know why if I try and stream GCN+ through the Amazon Firestick I get a message saying “content currently not available”, but I can stream it through my phone and cast it to the telly 🙄

slowoldman

Yes it’s bloody appalling. Bring back the GCN basement.

shinton
    Free Member

@MoreCashThanDash I had the same problem but a quick google search told me to uninstall and then reinstall the GCN+ app which did the trick.

mashr

Yup, also had to reinstall here today

Merak
    Free Member

I just tune in to see what Orla’s wearing now. She started off demure no she batshit mental, pop socks high heels and hot pants with yellow eye shadow.

Smashing!

Speshpaul

I’m making a real effort to be positive and keep my mouth shut if I cant say something nice.
    BUT, that virtual studio is ####ing ##i#.
    It’s like a minecraft but worse. Really is that the best they can do??
    Then theres the wondering camera, theres a reason no other tv programme worth watching does this.

As for Orla, she is beyond reproach as far as I’m concerned. At the top of her game and one of the best. And she looks fabulous.

anagallis_arvensis

Haven’t seen it, but would just like to express my support for whatever Orla is doing or wearing.

For some reason when le tour is on I will usually default back to ITV 4 coverage…it’s like slipping on an old coat, just feels right. Especially the donkey adverts.

MoreCashThanDash

For some reason when le tour is on I will usually default back to ITV 4 coverage…it’s like slipping on an old coat, just feels right. Especially the donkey adverts.

Ha, I get the same feeling.

Will reinstall the app, thanks

giant_scum
    Free Member

By the sounds of it I’m glad, although not really, that BTTV removed Eurosport from my package without any warning!

cheese@4p

Yes well, I agree that the cube thing is pants and I would love it if it suttently had a glitch and showed the reality of the surroundings.
    Cant fault Orla but I’m finding the coverage as a whole is becoming a bit predictable with the same old comments rolled out again and again. Which is probably why they have tried to pimp it up with the digital studio in the 1st place. The riders have all stopped for a wee so I’ll hand you back to the commentary team now.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I’ve not been able to watch the GCN+ content long enough to notice.
    I had every intention of watching this years tour on GCN+ but after an hour or two on stage 2 I defected to ITV4,where I’ll remain,adverts & all for the rest of the tour.
    I keep hitting the mute button when the commentator,Rob Hatch? Does those comedy pronunciations of places & riders names & I find Wiggo really irritating.On the other hand,there’s nothing on ITV4’s coverage that makes me hit the mute button,even the theme tune’s great.

IdleJon

keep hitting the mute button when the commentator,Rob Hatch? Does those comedy pronunciations of places & riders names

What comedy pronunciations? I haven’t noticed any commentators on either channel doing this. Do they descend into an ‘Allo ‘Allo type French farce when I fall asleep, about 30km out from the finish? (I normally wake up – to spoil the replay for myself – in time to see who is on the podium..)

slowoldman

Well it’s clear a lot of people dislike Rob Hatch’s pronunciations. I don’t quite understand why but then I tend to use the correct French or German pronunciations myself. It’s Carlton who irritates me. He can be amusing at times but he’s often guilty of rabbiting on to fill space or simply talking utter rubbish. I really don’t understand why most commentators seem to feel the need to fill every second with chatter. Jose Been and Magnus Backstedt are a breath of fresh air in that respect.

ITV’s presentation is definitely more polished than GCN+ but more often than not I find myself watching GCN+ to avoid the ads, plus I like Dan, Adam, Robbie and even (whisper it) Sean Kelly. I then watch the ITV4 highlights though if only for Gary’s quips.

weeksy

Can you imagine how hard it must be to fill hours and hours without much happening ? It’s a bloody tough gig i bet.

FuzzyWuzzy

ITV’s presentation is definitely more polished than GCN+ but more often than not I find myself watching GCN+ to avoid the ads

I generally watch the ITV coverage as I need to record it and watch it later and there’s a 50% chance if I record Eurosport’s coverage it will miss the end of the stage (ffs why in 2022 is this still a thing!). Probably controversial but Matt Rendell sends me to sleep during ITV coverage – he’s obviously very knowledgeable but has a monotone voice + often interrupts his co-commentators with some useless info.

finbar
    Free Member

Rob Hatch does my absolute nut in. “Piotr Sagan” indeed.

Yesterday he wasn’t even pronouncing Roskilde properly, just making it sound ‘a bit foreign’.

midlifecrashes

I kind of miss Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen when the racing is dull, they made the most of the Chateaux and displays of whirling tractors along the way, in the way Johnners or Blowers could keep us entertained with tales of pigeons and buses at the test.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I kind of miss Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen when the racing is dull, they made the most of the Chateaux and displays of whirling tractors along the way, in the way Johnners or Blowers could keep us entertained with tales of pigeons and buses at the test.

Same here,I like a bit of history & random information thrown in when the racing goes a bit quiet

slowoldman

Can you imagine how hard it must be to fill hours and hours without much happening ?

My point is there is no need to fill every second with mindless babble.

scotroutes

Surely the issue here is that the whole thing is incredibly boring to watch (like the above mentioned cricket). Without the ongoing mindless babble you’d fall asleep in a couple of minutes.

chakaping
    Free Member

It helps if you imagine Carlton is actually Alan Partridge, I find.

I’ve come to prefer him to Rob Hatch now, who I agree is trying a bit too hard.

Robbie McEwen is a great addition to the commentary though, very perceptive and entertaining with a great voice for it.

What can I safely say about Orla? Just that I wholeheartedly approve, I think.

slowoldman

It helps if you imagine Carlton is actually Alan Partridge, I find.

Oh quite definitely, right down to the stuff he makes up on the hoof.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Not making a comment on the preferred quality of commentary but I’m fairly sure I read somewhere that Rob Hatch has a degree in something like Linguistics and speaks about 6 languages as well as having lived in most of the countries they race bikes in so I’d be tempted to assume he’s getting it right more often than not.

I’m not sure whether to be amused or offended on Denmarks behalf at pretty much all the ITV commentators insisting on referring to Vingegaard as it’s spelt (vin-ge-gard) even after 10,000 Dane’s chanting his name for 5 minutes at the team presentation and all along the race route for 2 days.!

stripeysocks

I like Wiggo, just the sheer relief he exudes at all times that it’s not him having to do this sh*t anymore is quite heartwarming.
    I wonder if he buys doughnuts and eats them in a leisurely fashion in front of former teammates….

slowoldman

It has just occurred to me who likes/hates the cube.
    Like – Zwifters
    Hate – Roadies

ico86

I have no strong feelings on the cube or Rob Hatch’s pronunciations however it gets on my tits when he gets excited and repeats every sentence at least twice:

“and here we go, here we go! Geraint Thomas is cracking on the lower slopes, cracking on the lower slopes! now we have a race, now we have a race…” Ad infinitum.

If I were king Ned and David would commentate every road race. Oh and whilst I’m at it lets get a bit more Matt Stephens air time.

Watty

🔥 Hot news folks 🔥 You have a choice of audio on the GCN+ app, one of the options is ambient sound, my choice when the going gets tough.
    Far. Too. Many. Breaks on ITV4, so GCN for the live and Ned & co for the highlights show. Orla is ace 👍

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.