Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Anyone else got a threatening letter from Hagley Estates for being naughty?
  • jota180
    Free Member

[cntrl, + Alt + arrow key]
    not with dropbox doc in firefox smarty pants

Worked for me in chrome

Nothing to do with browsers, something about Windows accessibility features IIRC

br
    Free Member

I remember when his mrs left him for David Mellor

That would be a good enough reason to top yourself! 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

The letter seems perfectly reasonable except the bit about the police. either he thinks he can intimidate you by claiming they’re involved falsely or, because of his “position” they are involved which is a hideous 2 tier system. Both would probably tempt me to did my heels in and be a pita. Had he not mentioned plod, I would probably comply with his request and consider it a fair cop (no pun intended).

v8ninety

+1 for continuing to track rides but with a new ‘David Mellor’ username… What a complete nobber.

andyl
    Free Member

borrow a dog and attach your gps to it’s collar and go for a dog walk on the estate 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Better still, attach it to a pheasant and tell the cops him and his mates were shooting at you.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

civil offence, trespass, damages etc

you caused any damage?
    thought not.

just remember: skids are for kids…

asterix
    Free Member

wern’t your GPS and laptop stolen a while back? the scrote is obviously using them to log his rides

igm

The great thing about user names on t’interweb is you can have DavidMellor1, DavidMellor2, DavidMellor3…

Not that I would suggest you get your friends to join in. That would be a bad thing.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Thats fine riding on private land without permission, BUT do you know were you are riding has no protected nesting birds, no SSSI or shooting.The Landlord/owner has every right to protect his livelyhood. riding were there are protected ground nesting birds and SSSI is a criminal offence and massive fines for the land owner and person found in these areas. also shooting rights on this private land, you may be in danger of getting shot by mistake.
    We used to be allowed to ride and have events on private land in Thetford but a few riders would not take heed of our requests and now riders are banned from this area for there own safety.
    My advice is dont be bullish and take note from the land owner. this right to roam is OK but its not a heads up “I dont give a stuff Im going to ride on your land” 😕

ChrisE
    Free Member

If you are causing no damage to scheduled monuments, SSSIs etc there is nothing he can do without first taking out an injunction on you. Carry on

C

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“As for Clent it needs a designated all weather trail putting in..”

Er…no.

t-p26
    Free Member

It may have been already said but…. serves you right for leaving a tracably record of your trespass….
    I dont have an Iphone or a garmin, just a bike that I use on a regular basis….

allthepies
    Free Member

Genius 🙂

MicArms

Just for public record, I have had a long hard think about this.
    Have decided to sell the mountain bike and just use the road bike from now on.

coldhams1
    Free Member

“Just for public record, I have had a long hard think about this.
    Have decided to sell the mountain bike and just use the road bike from now on.”

It this to try and reduce the damage you are causing by having thinner tires? 😀

convert

Could I suggest that upon getting your new David Mellor username your first ride over the estate might take inspiration from this

Strava Knob

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s worse; doing something you shouldn’t and being numb enough to stick it on the internets, or threatening people by post when you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

Reply by post telling him to stop the harrassment and he shouldn’t believe everything he reads on the internet.

And maybe if you’re riding cheeky trails, don’t advertise the fact?

asterix
    Free Member

Selling your mountain bike would be an over-reaction unless you really need the money for a roadbike and you really want to swap to the road. I think you would regret selling.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

seems to me like it is poorly worded but reasonable request that you stop riding trails you know you shouldn’t ride, followed by usual OTT reaction from MTBers who think they can ride rough shod over any rule they don’t like.

I would also suggest that it could also be interpreted as a fair first step in case of future civil action against any one who does cause damage, you can no longer use the defence that the land owner ( or their agent ) had not asked you to stop your activity so you assumed permission by default and as such they can claim to have been fair in their actions in so much as they issued warnings before taking any legal action. ( Just a thought )

charliedontsurf

If you are being cheeky or taking the piss… DON’T BLOODY SHOUT ABOUT IT ON STRAVA or whatever.

You got a letter telling you off, all quite reasonable.

A local road descent that passes playgrounds, in a small village, narrow, pretty damned dangerous…. Starva leader board had 40mph averages in 30mph village. With names and pictures against the leaders. This was noticed by the villagers, and didn’t do the local cycling community any good.

Do us all a favour and don’t publish illegal rides.

don’t strava secret covert trails, unless you want hundreds to turn up and blow it.

If you are poaching trails, leave no trace, wear dark colours, be a trail ninja….. And don’t detail it on interweb FFS

SteveLoughran
    Free Member

The letter wasn’t that threatening. Threatening is when you are three hours into an XC route in the back hills of oregon and you come across a family having a picnic where the dad is shooting at salmon in the water with a shotgun -outside the salmon season at that. We turned back.

As well as the “don’t publish your plans to break the law” tactic, there’s another one: have lots of people publish their plans to do the route, experience of it, how much they want to come back, etc. This would generate so many false positives they’d be overloaded with work.

You could probably even generate fake Strava traces if you wanted. Though once you know how to spoof garmin traces you’d do it just be KoTM of all the road climbs in your area.

You are perfectly within your rights to write back (recorded delivery) stating that any further correspondance will be deemed as entering into contract with a £10,000 fee per letter received.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They’re well within their rights to send the letter like and under the civil laws of trespass they can attempt a civil prosecution. I very much doubt it would get anywhere in court with the evidence they have. I think few if any prosecutions ever occur for trespass of this kind anyway.

If they don’t want you riding on their land, that’s that. Though I support a push to more open access on bikes to land that’s obviously available to the public for any other purpose, including horse riding. I’m a fan of cheeky riding too if it’s causing no harm.

Have to admit I’m conflicted between using the likes of Strava and publishing less legitimate trails, though more because so many people are turning up now to try the trails and things are getting to breaking point in places.

boxelder
    Principle
    Part V Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (CJPOA) s 61-80 conferred powers on the police and created offences in connection with various forms of trespass, including:

mass trespass
    trespass by hunt saboteurs
    trespass by squatters
    nuisance caused by raves.

The Act also introduced powers to direct trespassers to leave land and amended existing legislation in relation to the use of violence to secure entry to premises.

Curious that mess trespass is now an offence. I didn’t know that.

I assume that’s to stop a repeat of what the walkers achieved. They did a mass trespass and won all the public rights of way for themselves.

Seriously been thinking we need a similar act for bikes, but if it’s an offence now that makes it illegal, not just an irritation that the government would be forced to give in to (though unlike walkers we’re not well represented in the wider community and government).

rOcKeTdOg

he will run out of cash & the house will be bought by the National trust

and you think that’d make access easier?

MrAgreeable

The CJB wasn’t aimed at mountain bikers or walkers, it was a heavy-handed attempt to stop things like road protests, hunt saboteurs and raves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Justice_and_Public_Order_Act_1994

hugor
    Free Member

Perhaps just find out the postcodes of the estate and add them to your privacy zone on strava. That way you can still have your data but not publish it for everyone to see.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Then you’d get no leaderboard for the segments in that zone. Same as if you just make the ride private.

Which makes the point of Strava, pointless.

Though I’ve argued that we need group level privacy for rides so they can be published just to members of a private group, you get a leaderboard between friends and see the routes, but the public can’t. You’d not get the leaderboard for the rest of the public on those routes, and that’s fine. I’m not in it to compete with the hoards of weekend warriors and the top pros I can never compete with. I’m just out for a social ride with friends, have a laugh, not really trying to compete but it’s useful just to see later how you are doing compared to the rest of the group, where you can improve, etc.

bonesetter
    Free Member

If you are being cheeky or taking the piss… DON’T BLOODY SHOUT ABOUT IT ON STRAVA or whatever.

+1

Keep it reasonable. If you’re on cheeky trails, don’t upset the locals or anyone for that matter. We live in an age of knee jerk reaction and no riders want to see favourite trails either sanitised, barred or out of action/bounds from a mtb related incident(s)

Mtb’ing is on the increase with new people coming in. It’s places like this where they learn the ropes

I would urge anyone to just not post their routes of cheeky trails

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

So you rode on land that is privately owned and shouldn’t have been there, then bragged about it all over the interwebs??

Should be grateful you only got a letter.

Actions like this are doing cycling no favours.

If you ride cheeky trails keep quiets. Simples.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Threatening is when you are three hours into an XC route in the back hills of oregon

nah, threatening is riding in the Appalachians in Pennsylvania, and when you finally get out onto an exposed bit of old railway line realising you have been tracked throught the woods for the last hour by heavily armed, fully camo’ed-up local loony militia…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s worse; doing something you shouldn’t and being numb enough to stick it on the internets, or threatening people by post when you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

Reply by post telling him to stop the harrassment and he shouldn’t believe everything he reads on the internet.

And maybe if you’re riding cheeky trails, don’t advertise the fact?

THIS

You cannot ride there legally and he does not like the fact

He may be an ass and so may the law but that does not mean you[ our community] should behave like one as well.

deadkenny
    Free Member
    stuc
    Free Member

Wow, seen it all now.

Someone wants routes of this area, which is quite a sensitive area for riding due to various landowners, to further try and annoy the landowner.

Thanks for starting the desctruction of my local riding scene.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He may be an ass and so may the law but that does not mean you[ our community] should behave like one as well.

One of the best uses of Ctrl C & Ctrl V I have ever done. Well said, Junky.

wwaswas

Rather than antagonising him further people should be looking to minimise confrontation.

If its not an area you ride then leave well alone?

v8ninety

I don’t know; isn’t it by being antagonistic, persistent and confrontational that the right to roam was gained? Not saying that this is directly comparable, but I have very little sympathy for landed gentry, and the sensitive area argument is irrelevant unless the OP is blazing new trails or digging, which I doubt is the case. An established trail is an established trail, whether it be walked, rode or um, horsed.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m predicting a ban for someone.

paul4stones

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    I’m predicting a ban for someone.

Tweeter! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got a threatening letter from Hagley Estates for being naughty?’ is closed to new replies.