Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone else got a tank?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a couple of 1/16 RC ones.

This chap however…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58077039

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice try, but I’m not about to tell the whole world, am I?

davespike1981

Got a dummy 120mm shell and wee tube.

davespike1981

Chieftains currently go for around £50k running

Harry_the_Spider

Not too expensive!

https://tanks-alot.co.uk/product/alvis-stalwart-fv620/

Would make a great uplift truck.

davespike1981

note they don’t quote a MPG for it

Not sure what the German laws are relating to this wonder if the issue is lack of paperwork, or something along the lines of not amassing and glorifying a collection of Nazi items.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They don’t quote miles per gallon because its actually gallons per mile.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Surely the anti aircraft guns would go in the attic rather than the basement. Schoolboy error.

scuttler

Bloke near us had an actual T-34 in his garden (above Holmfirth).

https://www.ephotozine.com/user/j0-jo-66759/gallery/photo/from-russia-with-love-10783598

mogrim

There’s another T-34 in Bermondsey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandela_Way_T-34_Tank

timbog160

I think the T34 has been gone for a while now. Here’s 2 of mine – just in case y’know zombies’n’stuff…

And yes before some pedant says so I know they are recce vehicles not tanks 🙄

zippykona

John Gladden had a big run in with Croydon Council.
    Can’t see why.
    null

davespike1981

checked the basement, correction i appear to also have a wheel bearing puller, which i have used on bikes, and some batteries, ear defenders and some random bolts.

Think i’m safe from the authorities

euain

Tanks at Bovington

You need to build a bigger shed to keep them all out of the rain! (Vehicle conservation centre at Bovington museum).

tomhoward

Not tank related, but I have an air speed indicator from a Lancaster and a Mach-o-meter, turbine fan blade & erection cutback switch from a Vulcan. Be a while before either are airworthy I feel, so probably safe from the feds.

thelawman

This one used to lurk on the hillside to the SE of The Stiperstones. I’ve not been past there for some years, but I assume it’s still there
    Chieftan at Gatten Farm
    It’s not the kind of thing you can just hook up to a normal 4×4 and tow away to the scrapyard.

Nick

That’s Farmer Phil’s tank, still there

Onzadog
    Free Member

I seem to remember a film, so bad it was good, about a soldier with a privately owned tank. I think the film was called “Tank”.

Kuco

I’m pretty sure when I looked into a Stalwart many moons ago they were 3 miles to the gallon.

binners

They make good alternative tour buses

Houns

This one isn’t too far from me

Klunk
    Free Member

needs some work

Chieftains currently go for around £50k running

yeah but for how long 😉

the trouble with getting involved with militaria is you might run into this…

beamers

Tank?

What you need is a Buccaneer, complete with its own fuel station:

Linky

dyna-ti

There used to be a guy took his tank to Glastonbury. Saw it there a couple of times.

I would think there would be quite a market for these, reenactments and movie prop companies.

Northwind

@Binners, IIRC the Super Furry Animals tank was then sold to Mark Thomas who tried to get an export licence to sell it to Iraq.

Harry_the_Spider

Would make a great uplift truck.

Only slightly worse than the BPW army lorry

ElShalimo

I have an …. erection cutback switch from a Vulcan.

You monster….how does Spock now make sweet sweet luurve to Mrs Spock?

tomhoward

You monster….how does Spock now make sweet sweet luurve to Mrs Spock?

Kirk was getting tired of… his advances.

CountZero

While I’d love a Stolly, the issues involved with the drivetrain eating itself on a regular basis would mean looking into getting the whole lot replaced with a proper 6×6 drivetrain and engine from a Mercedes truck, or possibly a Pinzgauer.
    Which might also improve overall fuel consumption.
    A 6×6 Steyr Pinzgaur might be a more practical solution, but nowhere near as impressive as a Stolly!
    Still, if we’re talking about proper tanks, then it’s got to be a Hetzer, or Jagdpanzer 38, a tank hunter-killer with a 75mm high-velocity gun, built on a Skoda chassis.

timbog160

Stollies are superb bits of kit but very maintenance intensive, and spares are not as readily available as they once were. Also bear in mind they are not actually armoured though, so possibly of limited use in the zombie hoards stakes. Some of the similar vehicles such as Saracens and Saladins were fitted with an electric shock device, which would energise the outer hull. The idea was that you could give rioters a nasty (but not necessarily fatal) jolt if they were trying to board your vehicle..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a Merkava Mk1.

Rich_s

Check out @fitter.mat on tiktok for some (sweary) working on getting a tank moving again. Plus other sweary mechanicing skillz.

mogrim

Still, if we’re talking about proper tanks, then it’s got to be a Hetzer, or Jagdpanzer 38, a tank hunter-killer with a 75mm high-velocity gun, built on a Skoda chass

Cool as it may be, it’s not a proper tank but rather a self-propelled gun. Besides that, a StuG III is far cooler 😀

vinnyeh

The Wheatcroft Collection is just bonkers (the owner is a bit of an oddball- he sleeps in one of Hitler’s old beds) but its interesting following them on fb- he seems to have a huge number of sources in Europe for parts and vehicles (not sure it’s all strictly above board) but the sheer number of vehicles owned and undergoing restoration is amazing. 10 Shermans, a couple of Tiger 1’s, Tiger 2, 3 Panthers 4 Hetzers etc etc. All privately owned by one guy.

MoreCashThanDash

Combat Dealers is a guilty pleasure of mine.

A guy not too far away has a few post war military vehicles, including a smallish tank. I tend to pull over to the side of the road and let him past if he’s taking it for a spin when I’m out riding.

Cletus

That Panther tank will be worth a few quid especially if it was a recent “runner”.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Get a Saxon, they can do 70mph easy, you just need someone who has passed the test as a vehicle commander up top

Loads of power, see it as an alternative to a T5 camper

argee

Always like seeing megatron, a proper tarted up tank!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d have a Ripsaw EV1 Peacemaker. Suit me fine, reliability means I’d always have something to play with.

IIRC the Super Furry Animals tank was then sold to Mark Thomas who tried to get an export licence to sell it to Iraq.

@northwind
    just read a Vice article that says they sold it to Don Henley and shipped it to Texas.

reeksy

I’ve got an old metal one i store firewood in, plus a big rotomoulded plastic one for firefighting.

batfink
    Free Member

Yeeeeeesssss…. from reading that article, it sounded like the tank was perhaps the least/only one of his many problems.

The lawyer also said that a number of German collectors had approached the defendant over other items, which included assault rifles and pistols, local media report.

Local authorities raided the property in 2015 after receiving a tip-off about the building’s contents by colleagues in Berlin, who had earlier searched the home for stolen Nazi art.

Given his age, he can’t be an actual Nazi from WW2…. but he certainly seems like he might be a fan of theirs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got a tank?’ is closed to new replies.