Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone else got a mate/ riding partner like this
  • JimBowen
    Free Member

they've:

Got a bike but always looking to buy a new one………….
    Always buying new bits, gloves, glasses, bottles, pumps etc……….
    Buys all the major MTB mags each month…………..
    Bought loads of guide books but never rode any routes from them………
    Always talks about going to different trail centres and different rides. even mentioned doing C2C……………..

never actually rides very often and although arranges rides is always backing out at the last moment with poor excuses!

druidh
    Free Member

Eh – don't talk about me like that!

foxyrider
    Free Member

😳 Well the first bits – But to answer you No 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Got a mate almost exactly like that. Got all the best kit and always talking about doing rides but he always drops out on the day.

He's now moved on to doing triathlons so seems obsessed with them.

Always buying new bits ……….
    Bought loads of guide books

That sounds like me but I ride the routes in the books and I'm out on my bikes 5 days of the week

Seb_C
    Free Member

Yes. They always need something new to "give them more confidence to hit stuff", hardly ever ride, get a bike working and then take it apart, lose bits, and don't have the money to replace bits. Always late, flake out at the last minute with a poor excuse (or just fail to turn up), then spend more time talking than actually riding.

I usually ride solo these days!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Ha ha. Know what you mean We've had a few (stand up 'Kit Man Chris') but they either slowly disappear or change their ways

donks
    Free Member

Guilty as charged….

JimBowen
    Free Member

I usually ride solo these days!

My Sentiments exactly

Gilles

Well that's the way consumerism works, buying things make you think you are actually buying the experience as well. Thanksfully all the people I ride/rode with don't fit your list. Are you living near London?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think we all have one or a few of those traits (serial 2-3 year frame swapper) but I guess all of those traits together are a bit irritating 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

Had too many flakey mates like it, I always ride solo now, I do miss being pushed by others to go outside your comfort zone but then I also like being able to go and do whatever I feel like doing.

JimBowen
    Free Member

The worst thing is that the bloke i'm on about has been a great friend for about 10 years so it feels shite when he lets me down. 🙁

i was the one who introduced him to the sport……..wish i hadn't bothered now 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

I know – I got a friend wo says let do it then NOTHING – changes his mind a lot – but I have accepted that and just do my own thing 🙂

JimBowen
    Free Member

Are you living near London?

no i'm from up north mate

[/quote]I think we all have one or a few of those traits (serial 2-3 year frame swapper) but I guess all of those traits together are a bit irritating

Yeah your right, i'm always on the look out for better stuff but am also happy with the kit i've got.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think some people struggle to find their niche. If your into cycling your generally into the riding of bikes rather than buying bike stuff and whatnot.

I have a mate whos a little like that but hes not a cyclist. Hes quite often taking on new hobbies (football, golf, photography etc) and will throw himself headfirst into them. Buys all the gear but rarely finds the time/motivation to do them very often (although its cyclical, he doens them for a month, stops for about a year then starts again).

Whereas Im the opposite and only really have one hobby (cycling) but I do it as much as i can

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Some people like the idea of mountain biking much more than they like the often cold, wet and tiring reality of it. (or hot, sweaty and tiring reality – delete as appropriate)

Drac

And I thought Hora had no friends.

JimBowen
    Free Member

And I thought Hora had no friends.

Lol 😀

binners

Hello Hora

I'm convinced he just likes dismantling bikes and putting the parts on a new frame. Its like an obsessive compulsive disorder

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not turning up for rides get old very quickly. As does turning up on a badly maintained bike and expecting you to deal with the inevitable breakdowns.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dump them as a mate and find one who shares your enthusiasm. I knew 'mates' like that, dont bother with them now.

Danno72
    Free Member

I know a couple of people just like this. I posted this clip on you tube for one of them but he didn't really see the funny side of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flk_dVHJWnk

binners
    Drac

Hehehe I remember seeing Liker Biker when my eldest was watching TV, first thing I thought of was some bods on here.

Drac

I only ride with Hora cos he pays me

Is this another Dave love post?

sssimon
    Free Member

Yep, it's me!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i used to be like that, but the difference being i rode all the time 🙂

cant fault someone for buying new stuff (if they have the money, its there choice) and as for routes was always on the look for new things, difference being id always go where possible even if it meant going alone 🙁

JimBowen
    Free Member

one positive side of having a mate like this is that i no longer by any mags because he gives them to me when he's done and i've no need a buy tools or a brake bleeding kit as he has bought them 😉

JimBowen
    Free Member

used to be like that, but the difference being i rode all the time

cant fault someone for buying new stuff (if they have the money, its there choice) and as for routes was always on the look for new things, difference being id always go where possible even if it meant going alone

agreed……i'm always on the lookout for better gear but usually out of necessity and not just for the sake of it.

i don't mind riding alone and always up for new routes. i'm off up to lee and cragg quarry this afternoon if anyone fancies riding with Jim "no-mates" Bowen 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

Mr Liker Biker bears a worrying resemblance to Steve 'Shred Mag' Toze! 😆

hora
    Free Member

Binners is like a gay version of SFB. He likes riding behind me to admire my Derrière.

However I most definitely don't want to be downwind of Senor Binnerello and his post-fryup botty 😆

Oh I also buy all the major mags every month….for 50p each.

hora
    Free Member

Bought loads of guide books but never rode any routes from them………
    Always talks about going to different trail centres and different rides. even mentioned doing C2C……………..

never actually rides very often and although arranges rides is always backing out at the last moment with poor excuses!

Sounds like someone who is either going through a crisis of confidence or has lost their Mojo.

Give them support if you know someone like this. One wrong turn in your job or a fall and it can really affect you.

It did me for a few years not so long ago. Thankfully the gearshoppingqueer remained after I was 'cured' :mrgreen:

marsdenman
    Free Member

Buying all kit / bits / the mags and stuff – no…
    Perennially browsing offers for a new bike / frame – guilty

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Our club seems to be full of them recently. Mint bikes but never ride them. Always on our club website going on about riding but we never see them out. Commenting on eachothers bikes. Post elaborate and exaggerated reports about 'rides' they were on. Posting feeble excuses as to why they havent turned up on rides. Think they just need telling. 'Ride your bike' , 'MTFU'.

go ride, suffer, get better, replace broken parts, enjoy

Nowt wrong with Mags or buying stuff…….just ride your bike as well. The influx of these types is ruining our club.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Would Whyte1 Please stand up and take a bow please 😆

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I think we've definately all got a friend like this and if you haven't… it's because it's you!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else got a mate/ riding partner like this’ is closed to new replies.