Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Anyone else giving up on mail order?
  • roverpig

Evans: order online, pick up (and check items) in store.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mail order via internet is the new normal.

I think more people have given up on LBSs, for a mixture of reasons

My two main LBSs also happen to be among the biggest Internet retailers (aside from Chiggle obvs), I use them a fair amount including for buying bikes, but they still don’t always have the item I need in stock.

roger_mellie

To maybe save a few trees? Only a small percentage of customers want to return the item but everyone should get a piece of paper they throw away?

As I said earlier, it doesn’t have to be a separate piece of paper. Planet X have sent me a delivery note with my recent order that has:

My name, address, phone number and email; the item number, description and quantity; and a return address;

But they still want me to download and print another form. Hardly saving trees, is it? They could just allow me to circle the item(s) on the delivery note I want to return. But as someone suggested, perhaps they want to discourage returns generally….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

Luckily I’m in between 2 great bike shops, if one doesn’t have what I want the other will. I’m not agnostic about mail order, but I’ll always try the shops first.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Freewheel.co.uk seem to have an interesting idea. Run by Madison they use the lbs network to distribute stock. Free postage if you pick up from the lbs and plenty of discounts.

stevious

WRT returns a few folk (sportpursuit springs to mind) let you generate a QR code that you take to the Post Office for them to print the label. I think wiggle do something similar with ASDA as the label printers. Works well and reduces the number of labels going to landfill.

reluctantjumper

Luckily I have a great LBS that I’ve used for a long time so the majority of my bike spend is with them. I do occasionally order stuff online if I can’t get to them or if it’s something that they don’t deal with, occasionally it’ll be because the price is just too good! I made the decision about 2 years ago to avoid relying on online orders as a default and on the whole it’s saved me money as it cuts down on the frivolous purchases. I may have been able to save a decent amount on the stuff that I have bought from the LBS but it’s more than made up by when they’ve helped me out of a hole just before a trip and dealt with the insurance claim after I was doored.

Non-bike stuff I order online a lot more but the amount of times I’ve had failed deliveries or the wrong items sent means I rarely rely on it, even Amazon Prime deliveries are a ballache to their lockers as they always seem to be full or can’t accept what I’m ordering!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Giving up on mail order? Uh. No. Very unlikely.

Sure, you have to wait a bit and it can sometimes go wrong, and there is a bit more hassle with returns but that’s the bit you have to accept to benefit from much better prices, vastly wider choice and availability and convenience.

The alternative is having to wait for the weekend because of my working hours, and waste a minimum of 30 minutes travel time, plus whatever time it takes to deal with: a) undoubtedly skilled cool kids living the bike shop dream who are nearly too important in their own bubble to actually attend to customers, b) explain your needs to someone who clearly knows less about bikes and indeed, how to work a brain than I do, only to find it’s not in stock, but they can get it in, taking longer than it would via mail order and for more money.

I’ve lost count of the number of times and hours I’ve wasted travelling to local bikeshops only to be greeted with blank stares or not in stock answers. It’s a hard lesson in self sufficiency, but LBS’s in my area have made me default to mail order and hold spares in advance for common consumables.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Matt, try Keith at Mugdock Cycles, its a wee bit further that ccb but very mtb focussed, santa cruz dealer and has loads stock if craig and dr bike are all booked up.

Only issue I have with online is the wasteful packaging….

tomhoward

Here’s the box I got from my last online order (from seemingly the only shop in Europe to have what I needed)

Guess what it was? Nope, a pair of rims(reason for the scarcity is that I need a 27.5 rim with 36 holes, that doesn’t weigh as much as the moon)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else giving up on mail order?’ is closed to new replies.