Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anyone else get weird exercise rash/fever?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So this is weird. If I exercise hard (with my current fitness that means a rather hilly 30k ride with not enough food on Sunday morning) I feel fine (well, my legs were dead, but apart from that) until the next day, when I typically wake up with an almost full body rash. Sweat rash, probably. It’s also warm to the touch, and over the course of Monday it got darker and warmer until at 10pm I was wearing several layers and my entire body was shivering… Today it’s fading but it’s still there and I’m still shivery.

This isn’t usual right? Pretty sure I can’t make it go away as I’ve had this for several years, although typically it’s just the rash and not the shivers. Someone else say that they have this so I’m not a lone medical freak!

jimdubleyou

You’re allergic to exercise.

That, or cat aids (the bad kind).

rossburton
    Free Member

NOT CAT AIDS!

stumpy01

When I used to run a lot in my teens I would occasionally come out in an blotchy, really itchy rash over my whole body after a really hard run. Never got the shivers with it though.
    It used to start perhaps 5-10 mins after finishing, usually while I was in the shower & an anti-histamine would have it gone in a hour or two.

I never got to the bottom of what caused it – it was so infrequent, that it didn’t seem worth speaking to anyone about (maybe 3x a yr) and I think I just grew out of it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I get it from Stella Artois

bikebouy
    Free Member

Prickly Heat I reckon.

I get it sometimes.

nickc

What are you wearing? If you think it’s a sweat rash, it could be because of the detergent you use to wash your kit?

pdids
    Free Member

Ive had some of the fevers at night after a long day on the bike (waking up drenched in sweat and shivering with cold). Had some blood tests done but never got to the bottom of it. In the end I decided that it was possibly a lack of protein/ calorie deficit (you mentioned not eating enough) after a lot of exercise (only eating 500-1000 calories after burning 2000-3000) and took it as an excuse to eat lots more. Haven’t had them for a few years now.

rossburton
    Free Member

Wearing a merino base layer, poly long sleeved jersey, and then a shell. Temperature averaged 6C and showery, didn’t feel like I was boiling or cold.

Detergent is the same stuff we always use.

I definitely didn’t eat enough: just a bowl of cornflakes at 8am before what Strava guesses was 1400kcal of effort (forgot the HRM as well as the banana so that’s not massively accurate).

geex
    Free Member

Excercise? God no. Did I not mention I have an Ebike for that?

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Missus sometimes breakouts into hives when she works out, initially I made the mistake of ribbing her (not a good idea)turns out it does affect some people. It goes away pretty fast though.

Look up Cholinergic Urticaria

BoardinBob

I get it from Stella Artois

I thought I was the only one!

oikeith

When I picked up exercising more and playing squash I would occasionally come out in an itchy rash on my upper body. The more I played and did exercise it stopped, never sure why and it now doesnt occur.

nickc

Detergent is the same stuff we always use.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t causing it though.

trumpton
    Free Member

Maybe it’s something you have eaten that resides in your sweat.

jobless
    Free Member

Probably exercise induced hives. its quite common. I get it from tiredness which is bloody annoying.
    It ranges from hives on the fingers to a full-on outbreak all over the body.

When i first got it i thought i was allergic to something in some cocktail sausages that I’d eaten copious amounts of the night before. I was relieved when it wasn’t that. although I did avoid them for about a year before i realised.

cetirizine (hayfever one a day – don’t get the branded stuff) generally sorts it after about 20 (uncomfortable) minutes. Sometimes, it doesn’t work if I don’t catch it early enough. Then I just have to get some sleep.

beaker

I get this when I run. I have an anti histamine an hour before exercise and it helps stop the reaction.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else get weird exercise rash/fever?’ is closed to new replies.