Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone else get itchy Shins?!
  • jekkyl

Anyone else get itchy shins? bit of a strange one but sometimes, espicially at night my shins get incredibly itchy and I feel like I could scratch them to draw blood. They’re covered in scars as most mtbers are (as well as a few current scabs) and wondering if their damage history has anything to do with it. Any over the counter creams anyone has found effective?

jools182
    Free Member

Very occasionally I get it, I also sometimes get restless leg syndrome

At the moment I get an itchy scalp at night. I don’t know what it is about night time that brings it on

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I get the itchy shin thing mostly late winter for some reason and restless leg syndrome all the time. Edit: I have wondered if it’s central heating/blowers in the car or washing powder on my jeans that cause it, I live in shorts for about 7 months of the year.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Mine seem to be a result of dehydration. I’ve been wondering if something else were involved too.

trusty

I find whatever moisturising cream I can get my hands on when it wakes me at 2am helps! E45 if I remember before I go to bed. No idea what causes it

BoardinBob

Not shins but the top of my foot. Insanely itchy. No sign of any fungal infection etc. Just gets so itchy that I’ll scratch it until I burst the skin. 😥

honeybadgerx

Cat AIDS, the bad kind. Best write a bucket list.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yes jekkyl, I’ve had a bout of itchy shins this year. Basically I scratched them until they bled. Although they had to be scratched to this extent to provide relief.
    I went to the docs and he said that my skin was incredibly dry and to moisturise them twice and day (morning and night). It worked. Simple as that really.

stumpy01

Itchy shins – could be dry skin. I get it in the winter when the central heating is on a lot.
    Stick some moisturiser on after you’ve showered & when you get in from work or before going to bed & it should help.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Not something i have particularly suffered with until last night!

Woke up scratching like mad and still feel the need to scratch today…

teef
    Free Member

Could be allergic reaction to Biological washing powder not completely rinsed out of socks. Try Non Biological powder or use extra rinse cycle, if available, on the washing machine.

peterfile
    Free Member

Itchy shins – could be dry skin. I get it in the winter when the central heating is on a lot.

+1

I get it for a few days after I’ve been wearing winter climbing boots, but also seem to get it in the transition between warm to cold weather, first couple of weeks of winter I seem to be scratching like mad.

tang
    Free Member

I get it standing at the sink washing up. Was a nightmare as a kid washing up for a massive family, dishwasher helps!

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above;

1) it can be dry skin, try a cheap moisturiser.
    2) mild allergy to washing powder / fabric softener. You can develop an allergy to something that was fine before or you could have switched products

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I have recently been suffering from itchy skin all over, mainly shins and forearms. Starting to wonder if something is amiss, i.e. maybe i’m allergic to something.

However, you might want to consider you might have a flea problem. A few years ago there was an infestation of fleas in the carpet tiles at work and a lot of people were suffering from the effects in their lower legs. If there are other people at your place of work suffering the same then that might be the issue.

SaxonRider

You’ve all got scabies.

Sorry.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Could be dhobie itch. I sometimes get it mostly on my insteps in the summer after long bike rides during which my feet have remained hot and sweaty for long periods.

Not shins but the top of my foot. Insanely itchy. No sign of any fungal infection etc.

I’m not sure that fungal infections are always visible to the eye as such.

jools182
    Free Member

Tang +1

What the hell is that all about?

I get itchy when washing dishes too

tang
    Free Member

I’ve had scabies, that is worse! As an aside I had scabies in Delhi in a heat wave (52 deg!!!) and was there for 4 days, couldn’t afford AC. Jesus that was awful.
    I argue that I was destined to not do the dishes, my Grandparents had servants for that! Shock to the Genes…

codybrennan
    Free Member

One thing to watch out for- any bowel problems?

I get itchy shins as a result of having ulcerative colitis.

TheSanityAssassin

A Piriton a day (‘home’ brands are available) keeps the itching away!
    I suffered from this for a few years, especially after I had contact with water. Doctor ‘diagnosed’ aquagenic urticaria – itching caused by water contact! Took a Piriton a day for years until I ran out one day, then found I didn’t itch anymore. Strange but true.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have suffered in the past & put it down to dehydration but then I started using shampoo & stopped using soap (apart from the most smelly areas 😉 ) & it went away, the relief is immense.

john_drummer
    Free Member

At the moment I get an itchy scalp at night. I don’t know what it is about night time that brings it on

It’s the spiders, innit

chewkw
    Free Member

For me it was due to poor immune system and dry skin after shower …

wallop

Yep, always in cold weather. Just assumed it was some form of mild psoriasis.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ha, reading this is making my shins itch.

Had it for years, always assumed it was insect bites or nettles or something.

I’ve also has scabies. That made me itch somewhere quite different.

CountZero

Not as a rule, no, unless I’ve been wandering through nettles, in which case, yes.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Almost certainly dry skin. It’s a vicious circle, as damaged skin dehydrates at 10x the rate of intact skin. This time of year is bad as colder air seems to have a more drying effect and we are all still wearing shorts.

+1 for moisturiser morning and night. Nowt fancy.

dave360

YES! And gritty eyes. Eventually I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis which I think is one those official sounding medical terms they use when they don’t really know. Anyway, what the quack says is that periodically my immune system goes into overdrive and over-produces silicate granules which get deposited at various places round the body, in my case shins, tear ducts and lungs. Look it up, loadsa shit online.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else get itchy Shins?!’ is closed to new replies.