Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Anyone else following Project Binky?……
  • Hicksy
    Free Member

….the YouTube series about the guys fitting Celica GT4 running gear to a (proper) Mini?

There is a new episode out tonight.

It’s a bit cheesy, but if you are a bit of a tinkerer, then it’s pretty interesting.

welshfarmer

yep, just finished watching it 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Love it not watched the current one yet.

Like how they explain how they do things without being condescending or staying obvious

Quite good entertainment for he tinkerer

goldfish24

New episode? Hoorah

onewheelgood

Oh yes. Just watched it. Can’t believe they’ll have been at it for 3 years in February!

Hicksy
    Free Member

I knew it couldn’t have been just me!

+++Spoiler alert trail rat+++ I thought the resin reinforced lycra was a clever idea.

Do we reckon they are going to get everything to fit under the bonnet?

Can anyone recommend any similar series?

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks, been checking every day for about a month for the next update, but not yet today.

Best automotive engineering on the net ever.

zzrmatt
    Free Member

Hicksy

They aren’t quite the same but give “home built by jeff” and “b is for build”, the latter I tend to skip through

Hicksy
    Free Member

Thanks Matt, I’ll check them out.

rOcKeTdOg

Yep,love the comments about other build shows that do all the work in 3 days including paint

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye Rd it does make you wonder how well some of them 7day builds from Richard Rawlings and all handle. – although given try are based on yank tanks they probably handle like stock – ready to kill you at a moment’s notice.

I watched it tbis morning and good to see a nice solution to the stick out issue. Ut had been bugging me for a long time that the axles were so much wider and banding the wheels could only buy you so much space.

mulacs

Just watched the whole lot in one hit – brilliant hangover/lazy day telly! They have got some serious skills… and tools…and £££. Excellent stuff.

oliverracing

Yeah, really like it and last nights episode was the highlight of what I watched last night (Also watched the grand tour…)

I’m looking at doing a mount/hinge similar to one that they used on their bonnet/front end, on the boot and bonnet of my kit car (GTM K3) as currently its a two person/10 minute job to remove them and can be twice as long to put them back on! Currently CADing (actually on a PC) the insert which I’m going to print and starting to collect some metal scraps and tubes to make the mounts with.

b is for build is ok but it seems like it’s all a bit “now I bolt this on” ect, where project binky is clever solutions matched with fantastic fabrication!

sirromj

Disappointed, nothing about rabbits 😕

Speshpaul

I went to college with Nick, last time I spoke to him he was working at Sloppy car breakers, and single handedly trying to reduce the worlds supply of Renault 5 turbos.
    Fair play to him

TimothyD
    Free Member

I like a lot of their solutions to things, kind of gives me the feeling that anything they made on my behalf would be safe and well thought through.

Their door lock/opening mechanism solution was amazingly intricate and well fabricated I thought. Quite mind boggling. 🙂

jamj1974

I like it! Thanks for the heads up!

trail_rat
    Free Member

B is for build is tosh.

Too much chatting shit and going over the same shit again and again

Oliver racing my mate has a mini based McCoy that looks alot like your metro based?? Gtm

petrieboy

Binge watched several episodes last night. Loved it. I enjoyed the old Mark Evans ‘is born’ series’s and this put me in mind of that. Really interesting to see the detail of how it’s done

kayla1
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaaaand… there goes my morning.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Glad to be of service!

z1ppy

Been on my “to watch” list for a while, finally gotten round to it (up to no 10) & my god its fantastic.. there based not that far away, I really want go round and just to tell that it’s f-ing brilliant!
    I’m also working temporarily at an engineering college and feel like the students should all be made to watch it as part of the syllabus. Then go off and perfect CAD, which I know is not new (even my mechanic does it), but the stuff they’ve built is brilliant

I enjoy Wheeler dealers, Car SOS, and even Fast N’ Loud (for a while), but this blows them into the weeds.

Furious

I discovered Project Binky earlier this year and immediately started to binge watch it. I hadn’t realised it at the time that it was an ongoing project so was frustrated when I caught up.

As others have said, it’s very well done. Amusing, informative and quite simply bonkers.

Can’t wait to see the finished article.

Edit: Also enjoyed Mark Evan’s programs, didn’t skimp on the detail but kept things moving along and interesting.

DrP

this is brilliant!
    Never heard of it, but genuinely better than most stuff on telly!

DrP

Northwind

You might also like Jaimie Mantzel’s Giant Robot Project. He gets a bit distracted along the way by building a sawmill, a treehouse and a road but it’s fascinating stuff

Hicksy
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind – I’ll check it out.

titusrider
    Free Member

+1 for a great recommendation. A bit like a much better version of project mx-5 by car throttle

Now I’m just impatient to see it finished!

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m watching them all again just now. Amazing.

oldschool

New episode out on Friday.

CountZero

This looks like essential viewing, thanks for the tip!

welshfarmer

Thanks for the heads up

Hicksy
    Free Member

Excellent! I think some beer and a take away curry are on the cards for Friday then!

Northwind

Guess I’ll be watching more of this.

Semi-kinda-not-that-related but I got totally sucked into the madness of

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Krv3gE-c4[/video]

z1ppy

Make the noise!
    [video]https://youtu.be/hViplB84We4[/video]

scaredypants

You bastards ! I’ve got things to do here

Still, only 13 episodes to go 🙁

oldschool

Another great episode, but now have to wait 3-4 months for the next

Waderider
    Free Member

That was amazing.

I now have a Bad Obsession mug for the bike workshop.

z1ppy

.. lets see how easily distracted you are on a monday…

neilnevill
    Free Member

I binged on 3 episodes last night, its great stuff! I’m wondering if ANY of the original mini will be left by the end. Or for that matter, more than half some of the panels they bought like the floor and bulkhead. I’m also going to take a punt, the engine will go, but not under the bonnet, I’m guessing it will get repositioned. At the very least its going to be half in the front of the car with the driving position moved backwards about a foot.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I had a binge on this on the back of this thread. Great stuff! Amazing how he’s basically just fabricating a whole new car under that old shell 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else following Project Binky?……’ is closed to new replies.