Anyone else finding riding dry dusty trails a bit, well…. difficult?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone else finding riding dry dusty trails a bit, well…. difficult?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Anyone else finding riding dry dusty trails a bit, well…. difficult?
  • Premier Icon Imabigkidnow
    Subscriber

yup
    My riding’s far from techy, but not used to riding on gravelly feeling stuff so much.
    All those little stones that’d normally provide traction by being half stuck in the soil, but have all now broken loose and are free to roll around makes things a little more exciting again.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

[video]http://vimeo.com/60297980[/video]Just takes some practice

deviant

Its brilliant.

Different to the normal sticky trails we ride in the UK, my riding has come on leaps and bounds over the last fortnight, now loving the feeling of the bike sliding around under me….still not comfortable with a sliding front but i sorted that (mostly) by running a super tacky on the front with lower pressure than the rear….long may it continue.

sobriety

It’s quality, I was in the Isle of Man last week for the Southern 100, but managed to get a couple of rides in.

I was loving some of the descending, especially with a super tacky minion in the front, grips like shit to a blanket.

Also, anyone who thinks that the braking bumps at trail centres are bad, try riding through the ones created by mx bikes, one trail was like an increasing washboard into every corner, with the last ‘oscillation’ being larger than my bike!

mikey74

Loose, dusty trails require you to be a lot smoother with your braking than in tacky conditions, which is what I was having difficulty with at Aston Hill last weekend. I eventually got it and things flowed a lot better.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Yes, I’m finding that normally even in dryish conditions there is still a bit of gloop somewhere to bind things together, In these super dry conditions there is a sort of shiney, slipperyness that is causing the bike to be everywhere.
    Not liking some of the very marble rocky, loose style descents and have actually walked down something the other day, due to being all over the show.

I’m finding some of the climbs easier though.

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Do you have the STW approved ‘tyres for dust’ fitted?

The biggest problem I’m having is that I’m carrying so much speed due to the fast trails that I’m having a few ‘hairy’ braking moments..wouldn’t change it for the world 😯

mogrim

Finally, someone understands the hell we have to go through with year-round dusty trails in central Spain!

edlong

Yup. I was going to revisit the “are on-one smorgasbord tyres any good?” thread to report that they are rubbish in the dust, but to be fair, I’m from Yorkshire so it’s just that I’ve never really had to ride in dry, dusty conditions before and it’s taking a bit of getting used to.

Wheels slipping out all over the place.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

mogrim wrote:

Finally, someone understands the hell we have to go through with year-round dusty trails in central Spain!

considering I have to endure 9 months of dry & dusty it’s not that hard πŸ™‚

zelak999

Scared that pants off myself several times last night as my HR2 front slid away from me!
    Time for more appropriate tyres???

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Jon wrote:

Scared that pants off myself several times last night as my HR2 front slid away from me!
    Time for more appropriate tyres???

no better skills

grilla

I didn’t make a corner that’s normally no bother at the end of a long descent last weekend, not enough grip. Hit and tree and came off the bike at 31mph hurts, and broke my helmet.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Glad its not just me! Here’s to many more weeks of practice. I’ve considered a change of tyres, but I reckon that would be the kiss of death for summer

Nice film that Mike!

zelak999

@mikewsmith
    thanks for the ego check!
    Didn’t realise you knew me so well!

bikebouy

Riding dry hardpack is betterer than riding soft mud.

Fact.

I binned the front wheel on some unsighted off camber gravel on Tuesday. Apart from that I’m loving al the fast sliding around

Premier Icon scandal42
    Subscriber

My (I just had to buy something) decision to buy 2 new summer tyres at the start of June is paying dividends.

Quite amazed at how well the 2.1 Monorail performs on the front in this stuff, it really does look unreassuringly thin from above.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

And before anyone says owt, this certainly isn’t a complaint! Just an observation. No doubt on my own crap technique.

We had a belting run round Rivi last night. I can’t remember the trails this dry, fast an dusty. And therein lies the problem*.

I was definitely slower down the San Marino last night than I am when there’s a stream running down it (the other 364 days a year). I have no problem hooning down it when its a trail of ankle deep filth. But I was all over the place, quite frankly, last night! There were a few very hairy, sideways moments.

I’m reckoning this is due to me being completely out off practice on dry, loose sketchy stuff. Its been literally years since the trails have been like this. They’ve been sodden bogs for 24 straight months at least, before the last few weeks.

Anyway…. hopefully I’ll have chance for plenty more practice. Looks like it πŸ˜€

Anyone else finding this though? Or is it just me?

* its not really a problem

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

It’s the mid-corner ambush gravel that’s causing me continuing bum-tightening… But yeah, the broken up dusty stuff is harder to ride than mud. So unpredictable too.

Adds a new terror to night riding too, when you’re suddenly in the middle of a cloud of glowing dust with about 6 inches of visibility πŸ™‚

tazzymtb

surly knard 29+ is awesomez in this dusty kitty litter stuff. Mind you a fat front rocks as well…all you little skinny tyred folks…well I guess you’ll just have to suffer for you blind adherence to the norm πŸ˜›

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

It was nice to ride through a dust cloud when following my mate the other night but went a bit quick into a bend and the bike slid both wheels.

I stayed on but it shook me up a bit.

I’m not going out on my own in the near future anyway as the Police are looking for a possibly armed suspect around my local trails and knowing my luck I would meet up with him 😯

fr0sty125

I’m finding trails very fast and loose at the moment, I think it is brilliant, definitely a bit more of a challenge. Though I did crash last night going too fast into an off camber corner, the bike just slid and wouldn’t turn.

andymc06

Two wheel washout on the steep and loose off camber chalk at Aston Hill resulted in a face plant on Wednesday! Full face helmet saved me. However it’s a damn sight better than riding it in the wet!!!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I am not having problems at all. I love dry trails, but then, I starte MTBing in the 90s so I remember lots of dry summers πŸ™‚

The trails are getting heavily overgrown by me though. Scratched to buggery the other night, some are damn near impassable.

What lightweight machete for South Wales jungle?

I’m going to buy a LIon battery hedge trimmer tomorrow and blitz my local trails over the next month

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Too dry – all the loose gravel that’s usually stuck down by the damp isn’t, so it’s like riding on ball bearings.

Not complaining about the sun though; better than hammering it down with rain…

pjm84

Not complaining either but missed a fast corner the other day and was lucky not to go over the fence / hedge.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I’m way slower in the “kitty litter” too. Not that I’m complaining.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’m going to buy a LIon battery hedge trimmer tomorrow and blitz my local trails over the next month

Lol πŸ™‚ My trails just need more riders, apparently.

banks

Loving it, never been faster. The not being able to break is helping.

fasgadh

Loving it – climbing is so much easier without the mud resistance. Certainly getting shaken about a lot. Best of all lots of paths now “open” as you can ride without damage i.e. Land Reform Act style responsible access.

stu1972

Turner Flux + Racing Ralph’s + dry trails = good times

oldgit

Dusty trails just fine earlier today. With Phil, he’s 66 you know and on a totally original fully rigid Ridgeback. Guess it’s you technique.

oldgit

Riding dry hardpack is betterer than riding soft mud

Amen to that.

busydog

Ditto here in New Mexico—does take some practice to get used to the loose, dry stuff, especially turns. Fortunately, even when it does rain here, most of the trails just get packed, but not muddy.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

oldgit – Member

Dusty trails just fine earlier today. With Phil, he’s 66 you know and on a totally original fully rigid Ridgeback. Guess it’s you technique.

You do appear to be riding on a road, to be fair.

Junkyard

Yes i was thinking who exactly would struggle on a dry flat road

Still fairly new to proper MTB compared to you folk and I think this is the first time I have ridden all the trails as dry and dusty rather than just had the odd week of dryish conditions. It is less grippy and not always in a good way

Will try smoother braking as mentioned above because i am enjoying the practice

oldgit

You do appear to be riding on a road, to be fair.

True, camera stop though. Dust is great though, it always feels like you’re going to hook up.
    I am running those there Caly-forn-i-an hardpack jobbies though.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Still nursing a fat li/ mashed knee and brusied toe from front wheel wash out on Thursday. I am new to Ralph’s and not sure of grip but crashes and near misses aside I quite like the slidy feelings even with the pain! But the dust is now sand on my normal 2hr XC loop so tough to get close to PBs!

So just new technique and skills to learn, but still better than the crap weather that plagued us for so long. Bike cleaning is much quicker now!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else finding riding dry dusty trails a bit, well…. difficult?’ is closed to new replies.