Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Anyone else find they get a bit emotional near the summer solstice?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

FWIW the solstice isn't always on the same day.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

How much would the apparent position of the sun at sunrise (at it's northern apogee) have shifted in relation to the "heel stone", since the henge was built, I wonder?

yunki
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

7 what?

yunki
    Free Member

precisely

ourmaninthenorth

Just a quick question… is Mrs North a bit… well.. different? Weird might be a better word..

Not too weird, but definitely not normal. 😀

yunki
    Free Member

Not too weird, but definitely not normal

hah! 100% of 5 solstice (or thereabouts) babies are a druid short of a ritual!!

the research thus far is looking unfavourable for Mr Woppit…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bit of a small sample… not to mention, imprecise.

What are the parameters of "normal" that we are measuring against, BTW?

yunki
    Free Member

hmmm… I was going to write 'the majority of solstice (or thereabouts) babies'

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You've researched ALL solstice babies? 😯

yunki
    Free Member

see my disagreement with tootall earlier in the thread

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Nerp… don't see the connection. Perhaps I'm being *ahem* obtuse…

TooTall
    Free Member

I found the smell, glazed-eye appearance and general unwashedness of the raggle-taggle army of drum-bashing fraggles to be indicative of their state of mind as a collective. Those I did interact with were, to a man/woman, wasted or lashed up.

Regardless of your issues with my data collection, it was a gathering of muppets and most disagreeable on several levels.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you are always being obtuse why you rejoice in being an @rse is known only to you …that is not an invitation to share or reply thanks.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    you are always being obtuse why you rejoice in being an @rse is known only to you …that is not an invitation to share or reply thanks

Hi. You're still here, then?

Erm… "interacting" with me… ❗

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    I found the smell, glazed-eye appearance and general unwashedness of the raggle-taggle army of drum-bashing fraggles to be indicative of their state of mind as a collective. Those I did interact with were, to a man/woman, wasted or lashed up.

Regardless of your issues with my data collection, it was a gathering of muppets and most disagreeable on several levels.

I suppose, to play "opposite advocate" for a minute, they WERE "worshipping" something that is demonstrably there….

yunki
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

it was a gathering of muppets and most disagreeable on several levels.

hmmm.. deffo a lot more in tune with mother earth and ancient rites and the sanctity of worship than your humble self by the sounds of it then

yunki
    Free Member

erk.. I realise I've gotten a bit offended by your reaction.. and have got the bit twixt me teef and all..

you like your history and worship clean and polite and sober.. do it in a church

the types that gather at Stonehenge like it grubby and rhythmic and bawdy and enhanced with mind altering concoctions..

life does in fact go on.. as is a very salient point of the celebration.

TooTall
    Free Member

Thank you for filling in the time between meetings today. Your stand for the great unwashed heroes of our land was most laudable.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I'm going, just for the fun of it really and I'm only about 5 miles away. Briefly considered not taking Monday off and going straight into work. Then I realised I could get fired 😀

Whatever happens, it'll be more fun than arguing on the net 😉

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm, plan now aborted. 🙁 However, in my head I will be somewhere special …

yunki
    Free Member

Thank you for filling in the time between meetings today. Your stand for the great unwashed heroes of our land was most laudable.

It was my pleasure. Ironically I was just out riding this evening and there was some second generation new age travellers (genetically engineered super chavs) up on the common tearing around on their pitbikes and quads..
    I fully expected sods law to occur and that I would get seriously done over and mugged for my bike after championing their cause all day..
    Lawless heathens.

simonralli2
    Free Member

CG – There are simply tons of quiet spots in that region to enjoy the solstice. Why not go up one of the White Horses, say Uffington, and watch the sunrise in peace? 😀

cinnamon_girl

Simon – good idea! Haven't been there for a while. 8)

Are you still in Brazil?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yep – still here having just watched my first Brazil match in the country 😀

cinnamon_girl

So where will you be spending it then Simon?

druidh
    Free Member

A Druidh and some stones….

Now peace…

…off!

cinnamon_girl

My eyes are shonky – where is that please?

druidh
    Free Member

Tursachan Chalanais

cinnamon_girl

Of course, Isle of Lewis!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Looks like I will be celebrating in Belo Horizonte where I am living right now – there is a spot up on a hill that looks over the city and I should be able to see the sun from there 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I shall be stuck on a plane bound for Indonesia.. 😕

zokes
    Free Member

I fly to Oz on 21st June. Guess I get to pas one solstice by looking forward to summer again!

konabunny
    Free Member

I don't know why everyone thinks that Cambridge has the cream of British academic. I went to Cambridge one night in the second week of June and do a man, every student I came across was utterly drunk. It mystifies me that the colleges have such a high reputation.

brassneck

CG – There are simply tons of quiet spots in that region to enjoy the solstice. Why not go up one of the White Horses, say Uffington, and watch the sunrise in peace?

Thanks Simon, now it'll be frigging packed! 😀

CountZero

Mr Woppit – Member
    Yes I know. Irritating, isn't it aren't I?

There you are, fixed it for you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, CountZero, you're not at all irritating. Don't be so hard on yourself.

konabunny
    Free Member

"I know you are, but what am I?" 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

Thing is, you can be anywhere really and some amazing things happen. This is yours truely, who got up around 5am, and went to the 12 Apostles stone circle in Dumfries to do a ceremony, only to find there were cows in the field. I had to do a very quick change of plan, and ended up at Lincluden. It was cloudy, but just as the sun came up, I had an amazing window of 10 minutes, and took this photo among others.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Also, Stonehenge was built to mark the winter solstice.

Cobblers. There's been general agreement since Stukeley observed the heel stone/summer solstice alignment in 1720 that Stonehenge is aligned in one aspect towards the summer solstice. Some other henge appear to have been aligned to the winter solstice and some appear to have not bee aligned at all. Which suggests they were used in multiple ways.

No, we agree that "spiritual" doesn't mean anything…

Well, you've obviously missed the huge academic literature in which the idea that a flexible and syncretic spirituality increasingly typifies people's belief as opposed to a doctrinaire adherence to any single religion and its institutions. Of course, this is primarily limited to the Western nations.

I'm disdainful.

So far you're showing a lot disdain towards being right about anything. 😉

Personally, I'm usually pretty happy around the time of the solstices. And the equinoxes for that matter and if they've inspired me to get out into the countryside at first light then great. If I want to be surrounded by vanloads of humanity in an uproarious and euphoric state of mind then I know where to head and if I don't then there's plenty of alternatives 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else find they get a bit emotional near the summer solstice?’ is closed to new replies.