Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone else feel terrible after a week of no exercise?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Evening all,

Usually manage 2-3 rides a week or 2-3 weight sessions at the gym a week, or a mix of.

This week not done any exercise whatsoever, you’d think the relaxing and time off would do me good, let me really unwind etc but I feel terrible!

Really down, negative, lethargic, and far more stressed than usual in work 😯

I’ll sort out my trail fix out tomorrow morning, the alarm is set for 7am 😆
    Anyone else feel terrible after going without exercise?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

nope, sometimes a week off is good, although i have 3 kids under 3, so I’m never not on the go

did 5 night shifts, had a day off then went on a ride and smashed it all the way around despite feeling leggy

samuri
    Free Member

God yes. Two days off the bike and I feel terrible.

rOcKeTdOg

I feel guilty if I don’t ride a bike for two days in a row

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sometimes yes & no, if you have been pushing it then the week off is when everything else catches up with you.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have done nothing, other than a couple of runs, for the last 2 weeks. Feel very phat and lethargic.

…but then I do when exercising.

*opens another mars bar*

kudos100
    Free Member

More than 3 days and i start noticing it. A week and i start feeling pretty shite. Two weeks and i am a total mess.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

try 8 weeks… 🙁

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Absolutely terrible. Have you seen the lighter? I thought it was on the amplifier…

zelak999
    Free Member

Defo, same boat as you OP, feel shite, really down and lazy.
    Out in the morning for a quick one and a Sunday epic planned though 🙂

chip
    Free Member

Broke a rib last week and the pain was just starting to ease then
    Last night I had a stretch while in bed and felt it pop in and out of place accompanied by instant agony,
    Now feels like I am back to square one.

Tried to go for a ride this morning regardless but as soon as I hit the first hill and my breathing got heavier the pain got worse with every breath.

So now looks like more R&R which is bad enough but doubled with the boredom induced fridge raiding makes it twice as frustrating.

stany
    Free Member

Hmm. I walk/run with the dog for 2 to 3 hrs a day, and try to include as many hill sprints as I can.
    Owning a dog means I can’t ride as often as I want to, so I try to make up for it but yeah, if I don’t include biking as I know it for a few days, I feel lardy.
    I thought the dog wogging would help. Apparently not.

ontor
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a mental thing for me. No riding = black dog. Black dog = major malfunction.

dan86
    Free Member

I ride to work every day, if I dont go out for a ride on my day off, I really notice it the next day!

deviant
    Free Member

Same here, other half noticed i was getting grouchy sometimes for no apparent reason….really irritable and snappy, worked it out that it was when i hadnt done any kind strenuous activity for nearly a week….so now i cycle about 3 times a week, go to the gym twice a week and have a couple of days off in there too.

When i was heavily into weights and tearing my body down to build it up again i regularly took a week off every 6 weeks for recovery but i dont do that kind of training anymore, if i have a complete break now it tends to be due to a holiday….in which case i can usually be found in the sea/pool splashing around for 2 weeks anyway….which i supppose is exercise again isnt it!

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep I had last week off due to long shifts at work and felt like crap. Since I started my whole fitness lifestyle change thing about 4years ago I haven’t really gone more than a day or two without biking, so more than a day off and I feel guilty and slobbish! A week without squats and deadlifts doesn’t feel right either 🙁

Yep – gone from bike/gym/bike/gym with one or two days off a week, to this week – ruptured bicep tendon and no exercise. Feel crap!

Op on Tuesday then out of action for 3 months – gonna have to get some spinning and brisk walks in to avoid undoing the last 2 years fitness regime.

cp

A couple of days for me and I feel crap. I have not done much for 2 months now due to work…… not good!

stox
    Free Member

Had a full week of liquid snakes so no biking or running…been totally fed up!
    The worst is over now tho abd on the plus side I’ll be a bit lighter going up those hills 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends what i’ve been doing on the week off or the reason for the week off. If i’m traveling with work or on holiday, which usually means over indulgence with food and drink and late nights and lack of sleep, then I do feel pretty crappy. If i’ve not ridden the bike because i’ve been too lazy or the weathers been crap, then I feel a bit grumpy and grouchy. But if I have a week off and don’t guzzle booze and unhealthy food I do benefit from the recovery and feel much better when I do get back on the bike. However if I don’t keep up stretching on a daily basis I do get stiff and achy – I guess i’m getting to that stage in life!!

tommyhine

Always for me. This week I was away with work and long hours so only managed a short run once. What makes it worse this weekend is that I’ve just realised I’ve got tough mudder a week today so could have done with a bit more!!! Gulp

Clover

Yes! A week of no cycling due to having to drive to work every day for various reasons and I am rubbish, fat and lethargic.

However, I clocked my best QOM after a week off so I am trying to keep optimistic about tomorrow’s race and the absolute lack of preparation this week.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Definately – usually ride to and from work most days during week and at least one ride on a weekend.

If I don’t my hips and my back can get really stiff and quite painful,due to previous injuries.

But I think more noticable and more important are the mental effects – cycling/excerise is great for reducing stress,can help combat control anxiety,depression etc.

endurancenut
    Free Member

Broke a rib last week and the pain was just starting to ease then
    Last night I had a stretch while in bed and felt it pop in and out of place accompanied by instant agony,
    Now feels like I am back to square one.

Tried to go for a ride this morning regardless but as soon as I hit the first hill and my breathing got heavier the pain got worse with every breath.

So now looks like more R&R which is bad enough but doubled with the boredom induced fridge raiding makes it twice as frustrating.

I did the same thing 6 weeks ago. Smashed ribs up pretty badly. Still not fully recovered, but I suspect that I’ve prolonged my recovery by refusing to rest. I tried to carry on riding after the accident but every bump was agony and I could not ride out of the saddle. So I spent 3 weeks sweating away on the turbo. And I do mean sweating, as turbo training ain’t much fun in 30 degrees 🙄 I also spent 3 weeks eating soup as I didn’t want to reverse my hard earn’t weight-loss. And when I did venture back out on the bike I hadn’t lost much fitness and was even a couple pounds lighter than before. Bloody sick of soup now though 🙄

So the turbo and soup are your friends 😉

cruzcampo
    Free Member

The gym is best fix for me after an hour lifting weights I feel top of the world, can almost feel the dopamine and endorphins flooding my brain 😀 If I have a sauna/steamroom/jacuzzi after that is the ultimate.

Biking the effects kick in a lot quicker, as soon as I hop on the bike and start pedalling pretty much! Not as intense a flood of endorphins as post gym, but just at one with the trail and no stray thoughts or worry in the world.

I think its almost become a dependency for me to stay sane nowadays LOL

TiRed

what’s “a week of no exercise”?

I feel bad if I’m off the bike for more than a couple of days. Commuting, club rides and a weekend off road ride see to it that I can’t recall the last week off.

And the bike travels with me on holiday, Turbo session to sufferfest if I travel with work. No I don’t have a problem, I can handle it. Give up any time… 🙄

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else feel terrible after a week of no exercise?’ is closed to new replies.