Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Anyone else constantly looking at replacing their car?
  • Mintyjim

I love cars, not really that fussed or snobby but I do like a big  diesel and RWD.

Problem is I spend an inordinate amount of time cruising eBay and AutoTrader looking basically, everything!

It’s a time consuming nightmare addiction.

Currently driving a 2015 335d estate on a 12 month lease and I’m so bored 5 months in.

Already planning my change, went with a short term used car lease to try and stop me changing after 5-6 months and now I’m wishing I hadn’t because it’s so good it’s dull!

110 mile commute staring at the same dash doesn’t help my problem!

newrobdob
    Free Member

No wonder it’s dull, it’s a diesel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get shot of the commute more time to look at cars you don’t need

nealglover
    Free Member

Just replaced mine with a cargo bike.

That should do it for a good while I reckon.

(Admittedly my commute is 22 mile/day not 110) 👍

CountZero

I’m checking out various ideas for a replacement for mine, but I’ve had it for eleven years and it’s fifteen years old. Got a number of options, it depends on what I might be able to get through work.

TheGingerOne

A big diesel is boring, especially on a 110 mile commute. How could any car make that journey exciting though?

Endlessly changing will use up a lot of money. Your choice as to whether this is how you wish to spend that money, but it is not something I would choose to do personally.

scotroutes

Of course it’s boring. You have twice as many wheels as you need.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A big diesel is boring, especially on a 110 mile commute. How could any car make that journey exciting though?

From my short time back in the UK anything other than a comfortable car is a waste of time on a commute. Enjoying going a couple of stops out on the tram for a beer before heading home

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just changed one of ours for a boring diesel ..0-60 In about six seconds  from a 3.0L V6 lump ..yawn ..

Mintyjim

It is costing me quite a lot each time, but it’s like an addiction.

Ordinarily 315bhp, 4wd and 0-60 under 6 secs shouldn’t be boring but the BMW F31 is spectacularly boring in my opinion.

I prefer driving my wife’s auto vw touran which is pretty cheap and cheerful.

On long commutes power isn’t the answer, comfort definitely is. My body shape finds the 335d quite uncomfortable and noisy inside. Sadly at 40 I now prefer quiet and comfort.

Thinking Volvo XC60, can’t stretch to the new shape though

bigdean

I seem to be constantly on ebay and auto trader. Current car lease ends in September.

The trouble is the ideal car will do +40mpg on the commute (only 11miles each way), big enough to take a bike and powerfull enough to pull the caravan. Can’t be desiel and cant find a suitable car yet.

Currently swinging between sub £1k focus, st170, focus 182 of focus st. I’d need a loan for the last two and only cleared all my loans this year so not keen on other loans.

angeldust
    Free Member

No wonder it’s dull, it’s a diesel.

Yawn.  Please try harder.

From my short time back in the UK anything other than a comfortable car is a waste of time on a commute

True 99% of the time for most people living in civilised society.

piha
    Free Member

You need to get yourself a fun car for the weekend and think of the commute car as a tool to do a job. Think light, powerful and grippy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t we need the Great Car Choice What Next Guru Kryton to the thread.

Took him about 19 years to decide on a car after 52 years of deliberation, 27 years of diesel/petrol deliberations, 115 years of colour deliberation, 2 years deliberating engine size, 66 years whether to get an estate or hatchback, 79 years whether his bike would fit in the back with the wheels on, 47 years deliberating Run-Flats vs Normal tyres and 1 year choosing sunglasses to go with the car.

I tell ya, that guy knows a thing or two about deliberation…

rene59
    Free Member

I should be looking at new cars as mine is due back in six weeks time. I just can’t be arsed though, keep looking at vans but can’t have one due to company rules. Might just change jobs instead.

richmars

I don’t understand the concept of a car being boring. It’s job is to get from A to B on public roads. What will make it not boring?

angeldust
    Free Member

I don’t understand the concept of a car being boring. It’s job is to get from A to B on public roads. What will make it not boring?

If the roads are quiet enough (which they won’t be on most commutes), driving it like a twonk.  Otherwise nothing, it just people kidding themselves.  Once you are old enough not to care, just go for something luxurious and comfortable instead.  Or economical, if you have a rusty wallet.  My S6 didn’t go any quicker than the guy sitting next to me in a Berlingo when in a traffic jam.  Fun to put your foot down every so often, but the opportunities are so few and far between.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t understand the concept of a car being boring.

People thinking they are in a rally while doing 12mph on the M whatever then getting all their frustration out on a shitty b road

Northwind

I’ve been gently looking for a few months now but things just got serious- the CD player stopped working! And no bloody way am I putting a new one in my shitbox. It wants a front wheel bearing and a back exhaust too and that’s like 1/4 of the car’s entire value.

But weirdly I’m struggling to move from window shopper/time waster mode to actually buying one really hard. Had the old one for 6 years now

Kryton57

*Applauds Bikebouy*

BMW F31 is spectacularly boring in my opinion

Mine isn’t .But it can be boring and comfortable enough to make a job that involves driving a lot much more bearable .   I spent 5hrs London-Dorchester, would’ve have been horrible in some other cars .

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

My old lexus was the most comfortable car i have driven. And was fun in the twisties and relatively frugal. Is300h f sport.

Drove to silverstone (from stirling) in a oner and felr fresh the other side.

tonyg2003

I do like cars. Some of them as comfy transport, some as automotive art, some as fun driving machines, some as A-B boxes. I “solved*” this issue by having 4 cars (how did that happen!) which are all different and hence I don’t get bored driving them. *I appreciate that this is not financially rational!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I spent 5hrs London-Dorchester, would’ve have been horrible in some other cars .”

I’d have found it pretty horrific in your BMW an all.

Unless it can turn 5 hour drives into about 20 minutes then it’s not really made it any less horrible.

slackalice
    Free Member

Is now a good time or moment to remind you that happiness comes from within not with out? 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

This is me all over. Have a nice but ageing 325i(E91) and what I’ve finally realised I want a car/ van that does exactly what my current one does…. so no change…. but it’s rapidly heading towards 120k and so I do need to look but….

Perhaps a second hand van might be what I need,  for bike/ surf duties and mitigate any breakdowns that night occur in the next 2 years, so I’ve always got wheels to work.

The internal debate goes on…..

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Me too.  And also motorbikes.

Buy a motorbike for sunny day commuting…. 🙂

Mintyjim

I always like it when people who don’t like or get cars comment on the threads of those who like cars!

Anyway, I always wanted for this to surreptitiously turn into a what car thread because my work circumstances are changing soon and I’ll soon be working from home mostly, with 2-3 trips a month to the airport.

My viewing flits from big older E350 mercs / A6 quattro’s for comfort and a decent pace to razzy little petrol like the Golf R. Kinda opposite ends of the spectrum.

I want to discretely carry my bike in case I get a chance to ride en route.

Therefore I can easily justify a 5dr Golf R, E350, VW Transporter (or equivalent) etc etc.

So I get caught in an endless cycle of ebay and autotrader with completely random searches – I really have bored myself!

I quite fancy a Lexus but living on the west coast of Wales with a young family limits my ability to try before I buy for an extended period.

Stevemuzzy -what did you replace the lexus with?

Budget is anything up to about £15k. Just wish I found an F series BMW comfortable!

2 cars could be the answer (I’ve agreed no more motorbikes until my kids have grown up!)….at least no one could accuse me of not buying road tax if I get abuse when out on my bike!

kerley
    Free Member

Gave up trying to have an exciting car may years ago as unless you go out and drive at 04:00 in the morning you are just sat behind other drivers in whatever car you use.  Had a Caterham 7 as daily driver for 3 years back in 90’s and you could still go for a drive but those days are over as even get cars around at 8 on a Sunday morning these days.  For commuting I find small cars the most fun as you can whizz around in them more effectively due to size.

Mintyjim

my commute is actually OK. Because I leave the house around 5.30 there’s nothing on the 45min A road, twisty drive to Carmarthen then I just sit at 70mph on the empty motorway to J47 on the M4 – 25-30min

Don’t miss my old SE England commute, that’s for sure!

So, needs to discretely carry a bike, comfortable, cruise control, reasonable fun on the twistys and able to safely overtake the tractors/lorries, automatic (in case of the odd jam due to having to drive to Heathrow)…

bruk

I had the same dilemma MintyJim.

Needed to get rid of the old diesel estate as bits were starting to fail on it. Couldn’t decide between a nicer diesel barge or a hot hatch ( wife ruled out vans).

Test drove a Mercedes CLS estate. Lovely thing and so smooth and comfortable. However I felt 20 years older.

Next was a Golf R and that was a lot of fun. Ended up with an S3 as I couldn’t find a decent Golf R with leather. So many were poverty spec as I guess they were old PCP deals. Never had a hot hatch as a youngster so guess it made me feel 20 years younger 😉

Had it 1.5 years now and love it.  Country commute and very occasional motorway means it is quite suited to my needs.

Still keep on browsing though. Looking at 2 nd hand Tesla’s and wondering if that could be fun!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

E220 amg estate. Super boring but mega comfy and super high spec. Its lovely but just not really me.

matt_outandabout

The car isn’t interesting – but the places it can take you are interesting.

matt_outandabout

By the way 110 miles, is that each way…?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Today’s research has revealed:

VW T6 2.0TSi

Citroen Dispatch

Citroen Berlingo

But the favourite is:

A 1974 Citroen 2CV van……

I’ll keep looking……

garage-dweller

Deleted, just too much late night waffle

tomaso
    Free Member

Big Merc estate with a fast lump in it should provide fun comfort and bike carrying ability. An AMG 6.2 V8 will make you giggle everytime you use a slip road.

Fantombiker

I’ve got an older 335d and re-mapping transformed the car, no turbo lag, instant throttle response etc £400 very well spent.

pondo

How do you map out turbo lag?

edward2000
    Free Member

I’m following this, because I do about 40k a year and my f31 bmw 320d is the most uncomfortable car I’ve ever had! And also it looks like the 1980s inside. £15k is my budget!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Get a Landrover defender 110 you’ll be so uncomfortable and constantly wondering if you’ll get to work without breaking down or something packing up you won’t have time for boredom. Fabulous cars though! Spend your money on a cheap commuter and then buy an old sports car that you can love and cherish on a weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else constantly looking at replacing their car?’ is closed to new replies.