Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone driven the Nurburgring ?
  • NZCol

Will be over in Europe next summer and being a bit of a petrolhead quite fancy a blat or 10 round the Ring. Anyone been and got any advice (other than drive a rental 😉 )

br
    Free Member

I was flat-out (+170mph) on my zx9r, and was overtaken by an old Le Mans racer – like I was stood still.

Also check your insurance, most now don’t cover the ‘ring – even though it is a public road.

lazybike
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sparkerfix

Take your bike as well. There’s a mountain bike route around it as well. We did it last year. A day on the bikes and a day in the car. Got a gps file somewhere if you’re interested

NZCol

Superb thanks for the links – will sort something out. Will probably have bike anyway so might come back to you on the GPS (I don’t use GPS just old fashioned maps !)

Cheers

hughjayteens
    Free Member

It’s an awesome place – I have been twice, once as a passenger in a friends BMW 130i and another friend in a Hertz TT, and then a year later in my own 130i with a group of M3s, DB9, 335is etc. The roadtrip is as much fun as the ‘ring itself.

Best advice is go at your own pace, be VERY aware of things in your mirror, don’t be ashamed about letting a local past in an old banger, and keep very clear of bikes!

Vids from my last trip:

First lap on a very wet Friday evening (being held up by a GT2!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUvCNxz01Fc

Great lap where I was filmed from my friends M3 and then passed by the ‘ring taxis and a couple of crazy irishmen in M3 CSLs.

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m in no way claiming it’s anything like the real thing, those videos are absolutely amazing, but it’s ridiculous how accurate the GT5 Nurburgring track is. I literally knew every corner through that!!!

WTF
    Free Member

Brycey
    Free Member

😀 Few of the lads at work have got them on their vans.

timc
    Free Member

Wow those vids make me want an M3 now haha!

DavidB
    Free Member

Yes. Did it in my RX8. One lap, shat my pants as I wasn’t insured and was done over by just about every other driver out there. So glad I’ve ticked it off.

Mountain bike track is a bit shit to be honest.

thepurist

Watch and learn… (may be a bit sweary for work)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Qxic6qj3E[/video]

kilo

Did it on the motorbike a few years ago (new type Bonneville with aftermarket pipes – nice sound but not the fastest!)it ‘s realy good fun but you need to ensure that your car or bike is road legal – we saw bike turned away where the mirrors had been removed – and pay attention to overtaking cars / bikes. When we were there I went around with a mate in his Lancia Delta Intergrale and gave a lift to an Aussie petrolhead who had come over to do it in a hire car. He was telling the driver which turn was coming next as he had learnt the basics of the course and the turn sequence from playing it on some highly relaistic driving game

hora
    Free Member

Also check your insurance, most now don’t cover the ‘ring – even though it is a public road

I rang my insurance company. Woman cut me off, called again and I was told they’d cancel my insurance if I did as they classed it as ‘track day use not in terms’ 😯

This was in my Aygo so I was hardly going to set a track record 8)

Make sure you go insured to the max. Why? If you come off the meter starts running. They’ll bill you for the time the tracks closed to ‘potential income’, the services that attend, damage to the armco and barriers.

ollie
    Free Member

Me and Mrs ollie did It In 2007 whilst on our honeymoon, It was great fun If a little intimidating when your doing 120 and a Ferrari nails It past you like your standing still.
    About 3/4 the way round Mrs ollie decided she’d had enough and slowed to crawl which Is probably the scariest thing anyone has ever done to me.

Macavity
    Free Member

There is a video, somewhere, of Jackie Stewart driving round the Nordschleife in an open top Rolls-Royce at slow speed explaining the course (The Nordschleife at least) which is entertaining.

horatio
    Free Member

Never been myself but thought about it alot and spoken to lots of people who have.

I can’t afford to walk away from my current car as a total loss with no insurance pay out. Until I can I really don’t think I’d be happy taking a car round there.

There are plenty of stunning, quiet roads in that part of the world. You’ll find me tehre instead.

hora
    Free Member

horatio thats what stopped me.

Oh and the fact that its now full of people who think they are jet-pilots/racing drivers for the day rather than respecting the circuit thoroughly.

Harmitans
    Free Member

Have you been Hora? Anybody acting like an idiot is generally given a hard time by both the staff and public.

It is an amazing track, well worth a visit. Do your homework first though. I learnt the track on Gran Turismo and found it a big help, although it doesn’t prepare you fully so build the pace steadily.

Be aware that the general rule is if you break it you pay for it and as previously said most insurance companies have exclusions for the ring. Hire companies are reported to have spotters at the ring to check that their cars are not being used there.

Oh, and don’t forget your petrol money. I spent over £500 in 2 days just on fuel on the last trip!

atlaz
    Free Member

I did a lap and a half in my Polo with a mate who has done hundreds of laps over the years. I just wanted to say I’d driven it whilst I was there but I took it VERY easy and was overtaken by pretty much everyone else on the track (I did overtake a few cars). You can drive at whatever pace you want and realistically, if you’re just driving it to have driven it, then you’ll be fine. If you try to set a time, let me know when you’re going so I can warn my friends.

Pretty much everyone I know who drives/rides there regularly has crashed at some point. One of my closest friends destroyed his motorbike there a couple of years back but luckily walked away.

One thing to remember about crashing as well; you pay for recovery, track closure, repairs, cleanup etc. Bloke pranged his Volvo quite seriously (he was unhurt) when we were there and the track costs alone were 20k+ euros. Also, most rentals (unless they’re track-car rentals) will prohibit Ring use so consider renting from someone like RSR Nurburg (not cheap but properly insured and prepared).

Edit – Take a helmet of some type with you. If you talk to people they may offer you a passenger lap but most of the regulars won’t push with passengers that don’t have a lid.

atlaz
    Free Member

Harmitans – Nice to see you got your pic from Frozenspeed. He’s a nice guy and he doesn’t sell crap pictures (we know him through my ring-fanatic mate).

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yep, I went last year in my old 16v MkII Golf GTI…you don’t need an expensive or overly fast car to go. There’s a tourist bus which goes around it every fews hours anyway and I saw people rolling up in Ford KAs full up with camping gear.

Think it was around 17/18Euro a lap when I went…a bit cheaper if you buy 5, 10, … lap tickets though.

My advice…have a very steady first lap and get your passenger to check mirrors and tell you what’s coming up….things can come at you so quickly you might miss them whilst you’re concentrating on driving.

Oh and be careful of changeable conditions through the more foresty bits.

Oh…and ADAC is the only breakdown company allowed to operate on the ‘ring. Something like 75Euro for a years membership but works throughout Europe as they’re just the German AA. Well worth it incase you need recovery.

Plenty of people also go without insurance. I did. Just make sure you don’t crash as what Hora says about track closure is all true. Bear in mind there’s two tickets gates letting cars through every 5 secs…that adds up to a lot of lost revenue should they close the track due to you!

hora
    Free Member

Have you been Hora? Anybody acting like an idiot is generally given a hard time by both the staff and public.

Aye but sometimes its too late-Its a case of moving properly out of the way when a faster driver or rider is coming through. Don’t forget its not just locals in their various old and wierd etc but people from Poland etc etc etc etc.

I personally think its too popular now. Ps. Do you drive round in a woolly hat or baseball cap in your Impreza and live with your parents? 😆 (joke BTW)

bazzer
    Free Member

Funny I was a track day junkie for about 5 years doing about 10-12 days a year. I never fancied the ring as I thought it would be just like driving on a road and would be really hard to learn it.

I have done Spa a few times and its awesome, had a real it does not get better than this moment the last time I went.

Baz

hora
    Free Member

spa? What did the climb out of au rouge feel like?????

bazzer
    Free Member

spa? What did the climb out of au rouge feel like?????

It feels like you need more power 🙂 Even though the Kemmel straight is long the slight up hill means lower top speeds than you would expect.

I could just about touch the rev limiter in 6th in my car before braking which was about 130MPH at the time. It was a 7 style car with a Hayabusa engine.

I turbo’d the Busa to 300BHP and added taller gearing in a bid for 150MPH down the Kemmel, but never went back once it was all done.

Would rather ride my bike now 🙂

Bazzer

Harmitans
    Free Member

Bazzer, it’s not like driving on the road! When it’s really busy it can be a bit frustrating getting caught up in the traffic, but I’ve also had laps without seeing another car. You just have to chill out if it’s busy and not take it too seriously. If you’ve had plenty of time on track I don’t think you’d find it hard to learn.
    It does makes the UK tracks feel a little bit tame afterwards, although I suspect Spa may do this also.

Hora, I agree there will always be a risk of somebody else doing something daft but I’ve never had a problem there. My insurance exlcuded the ring (except for 3rd party) and I go prepared for the fact that the worst may happen and it may cost me money. To not go because something might happen is a bit too over-cautious for me.

p.s. I don’t own a baseball cap or live with my parents!

hora
    Free Member

p.s. I don’t own a baseball cap or live with my parents

It annoys me when I see people driving around in usually non-turbo’s but with livery (WTF) like that (faux ‘I’m a Welsh WRC fan and its a scene-thing to do’). 😆

Harmitans
    Free Member

Impreza’s do attract the chavs, I can’t deny that. It got lots of attention at the ring though, seems they’re not common in Germany.

Another good thing about the ring is the cars you’ll see, some very interesting motors will be there and best of all being driven hard, even the classics.

samuri
    Free Member

Someone once showed me a brilliant video from the ring, hang on…

See if you can count how many people leave their cars.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Only “done” Bathurst in Oz – that was fun.

Col – a shame you can’t take the RS4!

lazybike
    Free Member

” I go prepared for the fact that the worst may happen and it may cost me money”. No disrespect to you, your car and your attitude are perfct for the ring, but costing you money is not the worse thing that can happen. Lots of people lose friends and loved ones there.

bazzer
    Free Member

If I was going to do the Ring, I would probably go on a closed to public day with a company like Bookatrack. But is it really a lot better than a day at Angelsey, Cadwell or Oulton Park ?

I had a big off in a TVR at Castle Coombe and put my mate in hospital. For years after that I ran the 7 without a passenger seat, so I didnt have to say no to people wanting passenger rides. It can all go wrong I was lucky that day as it really was a big crash and my mate was OK in the end.

lazybike
    Free Member

I’ve never done a closed to public day. I have raced at Cadwell and Oulton. The ring is a totally different experience. As a sobering thought, all the public weekends I’ve been to have had fatalities, that said it never stopped me from going. All my laps were done on bikes apart from one and a half 😳

retro83
    Free Member

samuri – Member

Someone once showed me a brilliant video from the ring, hang on…

See if you can count how many people leave their cars.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8&feature=related

I like the guy in the beetle at 1:30 ish 😆

Harmitans
    Free Member

Lazybike, you are absolutely right and it’s something I completely forgot to mention. The ring claims many lives a year, some by accidents outside of your control (e.g. oil on track from a car in front) others due to people just getting carried away and exceeding their limits. Anybody going should look at the death rates and remind themselves that a hefty bill is not the worst outcome.

I like to drive the laps at a fair pace e.g. sub 9 minutes but don’t push anywhere near as hard as I would on a short circuit in the UK, maybe only 80% pace. That spare 20% can then hopefully be used if either I make a mistake or someone else around me does. Most accidents I’ve seen have been from people trying to drive at 100%.

Bazzer, the closed track days would be a good option for yourself as you’ve got plenty of track experience. The pace is generally much higher but the driving standards are higher too.
    For me it’s different from a day at Anglesey. At the ring I’m not looking to push 100% and just try to find a nice flow. The elevation changes are something that you just don’t get at Anglesey and it really adds to the experience. The corner speeds are also higher than most UK tracks and the lack of run off and barriers gives you a much hightened sensation of speed even compared to somewhere fast like Silverstone.

One of the more serious crashes I’ve seen at the ring, the driver survived:

martinxyz
    Free Member

Is it not around £450 you get charged for every metre of barrier you destroy? I think some mag had an article last year about the stuff you should know about before heading over.

mk1fan
    Free Member

You can get insurance to cover you – just like trackday insurance.

Need to get there.

atlaz
    Free Member

Is it not around £450 you get charged for every metre of barrier you destroy? I think some mag had an article last year about the stuff you should know about before heading over.

Not sure the exact price but it’s that plus the cost of posts etc. A friend of a friend is nicknamed “lucky” because he hit the concrete barrier rather than armco. Unfortunately he was on a motorbike.

NZCol

Thanks for all the info , esp the picture above. That will buff out I reckon…

Yep its a shame i can’t take the RS4 but i think i’ll do the Elise rental thing (plus others) and have a couple of days of fanging around. My mate is coming over from Bristol with his TVR, i’m expecting it to arrive on a flatdeck 😉

Glad to see there are few more enthusiasts out there, its just a classic and must-do for me, have driven at a fair few circuits (Bathurst, Brands, Spa, Knockhill and Silverstone) so would be good to have a fang round the ring. As it were.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone driven the Nurburgring ?’ is closed to new replies.