Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone driven on the A30 recently?
  • Harry_the_Spider

Is it a mess with all of the road works or no worse than usual?

PrinceJohn

Traffic appears to be flowing better with the the usual change over day chaos

perchypanther
    Free Member

I didn’t find it any better or worse this year than it’s been since they started the roadworks.
    You’ll still be looking at Bodmin Moor for 45 mins either way.

orena45

A30 is a long road…presumably you mean at the Cornwall end?

Harry_the_Spider

Exeter to Launceston, I may take the A38 and go South as I’m heading for Looe.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Often on it or crossing it anywhere between Camberley and Sunningdale, and it’s always a nightmare.

Used to go back and forth from Devon to Cornwall and Indian Queens was always a nightmare in summer when the grockles were out 😉 . Not been down there in years since they supposedly sorted it out there.

Best bit of the A30 was when they built the A303 to avoid it 😀 (apart from round Stonehenge, but that can be avoided).

cr4sh
    Free Member

Last weekend coming back..quite a healthy queue cornwall bound on bodmin. Was surprised to find 2 lanes in the exeter direction thought it would have been biased to inbound traffic. Theres always wadebridge/ camelford route

canopy
    Free Member

I drove up it sat 23rd june, the day it seemed most of the country was trying to get into cornwall. thankfully the mrs school broke up a week before most of the rest of the country. it was queued from the truro roundabout all the way to oakhampton.

although they didn’t get all the lanes they wanted open around bodmin i dont think there are any actual active roadworks hindering traffic.

lambchop
    Free Member

Pants at Jamaica Inn a week ago

tonyplym
    Free Member

Route I’d use on a summer Saturday would be Exeter > A38 > Plymouth (Manadon Junction) > A386 > Torpoint Ferry > A374 > just past Polbathic > A387 > Looe.

CountZero

Been driving it several times a week for the last couple of weeks taking cars back up to Bridgwater, and the traffic seems to be flowing, if somewhat slow.
    Nothing like as bad as the M5, particularly at Taunton Dean services early in the week, with accidents on both carriageways; I spent five hours travelling 200 miles! Thank heavens for comfy VW seats and aircon.

jam-bo

Came back from a night in Falmouth earlier. A30 across Bodmin moor is still shit southbound and will be until next year at least. Turned off just after launceston but don’t think there are any roadworks further east.

Why would you go Exeter-launceston to get to looe? A38 everytime.

wallop

M5 has been shit this week!

Heading down to Hayle tomorrow for a girlie night out – I’m very grateful for Google traffic these days to give a good idea of the journey times ahead.

revs1972
    Free Member

Why would you go Exeter-launceston to get to looe? A38 everytime.

I always come back on the Torpoint ferry to make it feel like value for money for my £1.50 entry 😉

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Yep, just done Sheffield to padstow and back this week, 9.5 hours down 6 hours back – all the delays were after Bristol. Don’t go on a Saturday as all the holiday let’s change over

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its tyoically around a 12 hour sail between Plymouth/Dartmouth and Southampton – always found that preferable to driving certainly in the summer

Harry_the_Spider

M6 fine
    A38 fine
    M5 not fine. 2+ hours to pass Bristol. 😕

jam-bo

Favourite timesaver there is to turn onto m4 westbound, then turn off onto the m49 before you get to the bridge. Pops you out back on the m5 just before gordano.

CountZero

The M5 around Brissle, particularly from just before Avonmouth up to the M5/M4 interchange seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that they put the signs on showing 50-40mph and congestion likely, so everyone slows down and causes congestion.
    Or perhaps I’m just cynical about how those things work…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone driven on the A30 recently?’ is closed to new replies.