• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by oory.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone driven a small Sevel (Relay/Boxer) van on autobahn?
  • oory
    Free Member

I wonder what it would be like to drive a Sevel van (e.g. Peugeot Boxer) at 80-90mph all day? I have converted a Caddy Maxi and have taken it to the Apls a few times. It takes one day and one tank through France, and a little more through Germany. But it is comfortable and quietish at 90mph+ (80+ on GPS). It turned out that it is a little bit crammed for two hence a thought to upgrade it to the next size up which seems to be a l1h1 Sevel. I am skipping Transporter class because there seems not much difference in size. The preference would be an ability to get from A to B fast. And i have seen many transits and sprinters in the fast lane but not so any sevels. Is it because they are dangerously unstable at high speeds and deafening noisy or just there are not so many of them? What are the revs in 6th gear at say 70mph? I will test drive one definitely but there is no chance i can take it to 90mph in UK.

duncancallum

They’re fine just be aware itsxa little louder and at o0 opposed to 70 your mpg will drop a chunk

welshfarmer

I once followed a L2H2 one at 100 mph.

Matt_SS_xc

Our ducato does a lot of miles on Europe. I prefer the ducato to our car on the motorway.
    We specced the 150bhp engine. You can now get a 160. I wouldn’t want any of the smaller engines.
    It will sit at 90 quite happily, not too loud, but obviouslylouder than a car.
    Be aware you will use a lot of fuel. If we drive hard on the motorway we get 19mpg…..we tend to sit at 75 for fuel consumption unless in a rush across Europe.

ElShalimo

We spend 3 weeks in Europe every September in our Transit motorhome. The number of Ducati/Boxer vans zooming around is incredible. They do all seem to be Eastern European registered. The only vans that are being driven faster are the high end T5/6 (bi-turbo?) and Sprinters

As soon as you cross the Rhine into France there are loads of the smaller versions being driven equally as fast.

mattbee

We’ve got a Sevel based coachbuilt motorhome (the pervious gen) with 2.8 hdi engine and 5 speed box.
    it’s the box on ours that limits things really, cruise happily at 65-70 but as you push up to the top end of that it really would like another gear.
    There can be a bit of wind noise/breeze from the door tops too which does mean the stereo has to be a bit loud at motorway speeds.

oory
    Free Member

Thanks guys, sounds there is a consensus. I think i hsve found some video evidence too.

Check this out. Test drive this weekend!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone driven a small Sevel (Relay/Boxer) van on autobahn?’ is closed to new replies.