Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone done the Rat Race coast to coast event?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

A couple of mates of mine looking at doing this next year, looks like fun so might joint them. Its an offload coast to coast 200 miles in three days challenge.

Just looking at some photo’s and a video from past events and it looks fairly tame in terms of the terrain – no rocky, technical climbs or descents from what I can see, looks like mostly gravel and farm tracks, paths, bridleways and similar, so the Cotic Rocket might not the the best weapon to do it on, I’m wondering if it is doable on a gravel bike?

PaulMcG

Yep. Did it in the first year. The off-road bits are generally on the Great Glen Way and canal towpath, so exactly as you describe, with (I recall) one short-ish slightly more tech descent.

Gravel or CX is probably the perfect choice. I saw a few people on road bikes with wider tyres doing OK as well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sounds great, thanks Paul.

Pyro

Did it one year and worked on it several years now. Cross/gravel bike is the weapon of choice, the worst descent of the early races is no longer in the route, it’s all pretty much all easy stuff now.

jekkyl

Is that the one with the ridiculous price?

stuc
    Free Member

Do you mean Rat Race The Crossing? As in the English coast to coast one. I saw some people the year I did it (think it was maybe 2014) on Cross Bikes. I think it would be do-able and certainly if day two through the dales is the same it would help with what felt like endless road miles. If you’re after a proper technical 3 days on the bike I’d look elsewhere to be honest – it’s very tame and personally I think you could have a better three days for the same money going with a proper guiding company, with the added bonus of proper accommodation.

mattyfez

I’ve been really tempted to do the crossing.. Just for the scenery really although it is expensive and there’s a lot of ascending involved.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes, I do mean the Rat Race The Crossing. Not sure if the price is ridiculous…there is a low price fo rate next week or so at around £350, but not sure what it goes upto if you don’t buy early. Considering how much some cycle sportive events want I don’t think the early bird special price is too ridiculous.

Appreciate you can do it via other ways, have even considered doing it without going through a company at all just bike packing – which is the way I’d really like to do it, but a few mates are considering doing it so it will be more for the social crack as much as anything. I’ll probably get some sponsorship too and raise something for a worthy cause while I’m at it.

Looked into doing the Deloitte LEJOG for next year….that is pricey!

I assumed there is alot of ascending, especially on the Lakes side, which is why I’d prefer to do it on my gravel bike (well really my work commute bike with chunky tyres on).

Fantombiker

Just come back from the ratrace coast to coast Scottish thing. A cross bike would be fine. It’s expensive, but the vibe is a challenge one not a race one, so great atmosphere and friendliness all along route and especially at campsite.

boxelder

There’s talk here of two separate events. The Crossing is Whitehaven to Scarborough way and a lightish HT/short travel FS is ideal. CX/gravel bike will struggle on sections (depending on gearing) and a Rocket would feel a bit of a drag (unless you’re normally faster than your mates). You won’t be carrying a great deal, so I’d go CX, especially if you can fit 40mm tyres.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done the Rat Race coast to coast event?’ is closed to new replies.