• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone done Easyjet with Bikes this summer yet? Luggage Q
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flew last year and had Bike bag weighing 32Kg and 20Kg of hold luggage all fine, checking the T&C’s this time it is stating that anything over 32Kg combined is charged!!

Is this the case??

Just about to go and remove the DH bike from the bag going to the Mega

edd

Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.
    This is from the penultimate paragraph of section 10.
    http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#baggage

I would say that, so long as you’ve paid for a bag and a bike, you’ll be able to claim that you can use more than 32kg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah the extra info miles from the rest of the relevant info

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steviep
    Free Member

Bike bag up to 32kg, hold luggage up to 20kg. Take a copy of Easyjet terms and conditions relating to bikes and you will be fine. We were stopped at Faro and they tried to charge us excess baggage, as soon as I showed them the T&Cs no more problems. Some staff just dont know or understand their own rules. One thing though DO NOT put anything else in the bag or you do risk trouble.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

steviep

how does that work with 2 bikes in 1 bag!

edd

Carriage of bicycles:

The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
    Only one bicycle per bicycle box or bag will be permitted
    No other items can be carried in the bicycle box (i.e. clothing)
    The handlebars must be flush with the frame
    The pedals must be flush against the frame or removed“

It’s pretty clear that you can only have one bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends if they check or not, mine was only weighed at the oversized bagage counter, easyjet just asked for an estimate.

It’d have to be a light DH bike to get both under 32kg?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both frames in the bag with 2 sets of wheels came to 32ishhhhh and both pairs of forks in the hold bag was doing it, going to sack of the DH bike and take as much of it as spares as I can. Can be bothered with the hassle but good to know I can get 32kg in the bike bag.

Yes that is the camelback saddle bag it is quite large

Yes the shoes are attached to the pedals it is rather odd isn’t it

Yes it does have a lot of parts its a very complicated bike you know

Tempted with the idea from a previous thread of putting a massive pic of Darth Vader on it with the caption “He Protects It” or “Pay rises for Baggage Handlers”

jazid
    Free Member

Just came back from the Alps with EasyJet with 21kg of road bike and 20kg of checked in hold luggage.
    I put all items related to the bike (saddlepack, tools to reassemble and bits I had removed in the box along with my spd shoes) in there, no problems to date.
    Just make sure you label ( flight number, destination, name, mobile) your bike box clearly as two bikes ended up somewhere strange instead and this helps to speed up the delivery to the correct airport!
    Always take my helmet strapped to my carry on bag to be safe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Always take my helmet strapped to my carry on bag to be safe

Very true will also be flying with my new 661 Hat and I’ll wear it if I have too – nothing freaks out the other passengers like putting on a full face in a plane and pretending to pray

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If your bike is close to the 32kg limit (and remember to leave some leeway, as the scales may not be the most accurate) consider taking a second box as your “case”. I took my wheels and armour thus a couple of years ago, makes handling the bike box easier.

If you’re really tight for weight shock springs, spare tubes and pedals can go in your hand luggage. (not screwdrivers spanners or torx drivers though).

crazy-legs

One thing though DO NOT put anything else in the bag or you do risk trouble.

No one has ever checked this. I’m assuming that it gets picked up as the bike goes through X-Ray but no-one has ever said “remove all that stuff”.
    Everything goes in my bike bag. Clothing, helmet, shoes, tools, spares, Camelbak and then I only have carry on baggage.

Always take a copy of the T&C’s with the relevant sections highlighted, it helps avoid arguments if there’s any problems with the weight (mine has never been over 32kg even with all the stuff in there).

DenDennis
    Free Member

just out of interest, does anyone have an idea why easyjet decide to bury the magic clause “exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle”???

unless every airline was required to adhere to same rules, why would they allow this yet not openly market it?
    ?poss tax benefit from certain airports?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess it’s so you wont bring a 32Kg bike bag and a 20Kg hold bag!!

Aiming for 30Kg in the bike bag as it’s H&S about lifting that limits it.

Last year coming home I was at the closed check in desks weighing bags and moving stuff round and into hand luggage.

steveh

One thing though DO NOT put anything else in the bag or you do risk trouble.

No one has ever checked this. I’m assuming that it gets picked up as the bike goes through X-Ray but no-one has ever said “remove all that stuff”.

Yes they have, I’ve had to open my bike bag for it to be checked the last two times I’ve flown with Easyjet. It was only done by the check in staff and I had a couple of extra bits in there as well as the bike but another guy did have to empty all the extra stuff he had out as he’d done as you did.

saxabar
    Free Member

Interesting, and thanks for the T&Cs. I’ve never had my bag checked but this time (today, on the 6:25 from Manchester!) I’m only packing the bike in the bag along with upper body armour that can be taken out and worn if need be. If an argument T&Cs ensues, its probably best I don’t have a gazillion flapjacks, tools and other bits stuffed in there.

FuzzyWuzzy

Never had the contents of a bike bag checked with Easyjet but sensible to assume it might happen and make sure you have space/weight capacity available in your suitcase to transfer stuff into it. And yeah stick to 30Kg max otherwise you might get issues due to H&S (at best you’ll get some crappy stickers plastered all over your bike bag).

cynic-al
    Free Member

2 years ago I got incorectly charged at Geneva but got a refund OK.

On Moday both my bike bag and rucsac were a little over 20kg, no charge, must be my natural charm 😎

hora
    Free Member

Well I’m going with a Groundeffect bodybag with a frame I don’t care about with minimal clothing (only going for a few days) wrapped around the essential bits inside so I should be ok as hold luggage and it’ll be under 20kg’s IMO.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done Easyjet with Bikes this summer yet? Luggage Q’ is closed to new replies.