Anyone done a Scotland coast to coast with bivvying??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone done a Scotland coast to coast with bivvying??
  • As above really.

Looking for routes, tales, pics and advice.

Much appreciated as always!

Cheers

Pete

Ewan

I think 'The book of bivi' has a bit about doing this in the book somewhere… not much detail tho IIRC.

Lots of ways to go scotland coast to coast but ( topic argued to death)I would always have a tent. You could end up in some very remote and wild areas and in poor weather. save half a kilo and lose the ability to keep you and your kit warm dry and comfy. You can get frost any month of the year.

On previous threads on this those who have often gone out into the wilds in Scotland would always have a tent.

cheers mate

anyone else??

Aye, it's doable, but I suppose the key question's all about expectations, and what you want from your trip.

Compromised riding? Even the lightest kit starts to be noticed when you're offroad, so timing and route planning is even more important on a multi dayer.

Or, are you up for soaking (excuse the pun) up the overall experience, accepting the ride compromises and knowing it'll have some tough (wet!) days, and some really amazing nights when you'll be glad you're so close to nature (I'm a tree hugger at heart). 😀

We've done trips like this different ways, travel light e.g. staying in b&b's and bunkhouses, or BOB trailer, or day sac and bivvy gear.

Maybe we're getting soft and lazy, but bivvy and BOB trips are more often about basing ourselves in the wilds and exploring, and multi-day trips like Skye to Montrose have been of the minimal kit / book accomm in advance variety.

I'd suggest getting out and trying a few nights bivvying in all weather before you commit to something like a coast to coast, and see how you like it.

As I write this, I am thinking I sound just like my ol' mum… 😆

p.s ignore me – just do it!!!

gusamc

I've always fancied Great Glen route, I guess as I like water as well as hills. – Distance: 80 miles, suspect it's not the most interesting MTB ride, anyway in my 'hope to do before crinkliedom box'
    http://cycling.visitscotland.com/find_route/highlands/great_glen_route_overview.

I used to enforce camp (lack of money) when younger, I still camp and bivvy but I find having enough money to decide to B&B or bunkhouse an exceptionally pleasant option, ie build in some options.

Premier Icon amatuer
    Subscriber

Southern Upland Way goes coast to coast with stop overs on-route.
    null

Depends how many days surely?

You can coast to coast in two days, so one night in the bivvy would make sense.

Doing longer, more convoluted trips, i've opted to take the tent because it doesn't weigh much more (if you buy the right tent) and after day five in the rain, with grazed knees and a sprained wrist, its quite nice to just sit in the tent with the door open to the view and read a book or something.

grantway

Would'nt do it Bivvy style being the Mosquitos are bad ass up there.
    Plus guaranteed crap weather like Wales.
    Take a look at the Bike tent, which uses the rear wheel at one end and the
    frame at the other to support the tent.

My advice here would to buy some tarp to hid the frame so no one can tell
    what bike you have.
    The tent is about the same price has the Bivvy

snowpaul

Bike tent is rather pants… see reviews…

I have toured in scotland and stayed at hostels / b+bs and bothies and much nicer…

My experience of long distance bike touring is to always take a tent ( dragged a BOB across Canada / Nz and Iceland x2 summers – you can store kit and at a push cook and eat in it if you are careful… Plus you can read / sketch / play with camera in comfort

I have a bivy and find it a bit cramped and best saved for scrambling trips…

Serious note

Midges are HORRID. Tent gives more protection. Ditto re Ticks. Be carefull. Have a great trip – am envious !

paul

looking fo a 3 day / two night hike

Any suggestions for routes (with maps pleeeeeeeasse!!!!!)

Thanks dudes!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done a Scotland coast to coast with bivvying??’ is closed to new replies.