Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone done a kids build on a Cube frame?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

bikediscount has some 14″ Cube frames back in stock and I’m considering one as the size up for my son, so is currently riding a 24″ Carrera Blast I rebuilt and no longer looks like he is stretched out.

Specifically it’s the Cube Analog frame. Has anyone built a kid bike with one of these? Any quirks? What height child can fit on a 14″ frame? It is designed around 650b but I’ve spare 26″ wheels and even the old 24″ wheels if we really want to get it low.

rossburton
    Free Member

Just noticed the weight is a small issue, 1.8kg for the medium. That’s a fair chunk for a small alu frame that isn’t a hardcore hardtail.

matt_outandabout

LD of the forum has – it is/was a fab little thing.

TomB

Yes, twice. A 14” attention and just now a 16” LTD. both from bike discount. Used 26” fork and wheels, lad was 9 when he got the first one and I built the 16” up for his 11th birthday last month. Frames come without hardware so bought bottle cage bolts and an under bb cable guide. Very pleased with both builds.

TomB

Here’s my old thread on it:

Linky

tomcrow99

Yep, I built up a cube Access WS for my daughter last year. Also from bikediscount, 14″ 27.5 frame with 26″ wheels and a 26″ 100mm Fox float.
    Its a a lovely little bike and is very light and solid. Using a mix of parts from the garage, quality 2nd hand stuff off Ebay and cheap new bits, it only cost me £400 which is a bargain compared to what the equivalent Isla bike would cost.

2 things to consider though.
    1. The frames are really short (though that could just be that mine is a WS model) At 1.5m ish (9.5 years) my daughter is already looking slightly big for it, I have already had to put a slightly longer stem on.
    2. The combination of 26 inch front wheel and 100mm 26inch fork has kept the front end low but has made for quite a steep head angle. In retrospect I should either have put a 100mm 27.5 fork on or a 120-130mm 26 fork.I briefly considered fitting a slack set, but that was taking it too far!!

Picture here

jwh
    Free Member

just waiting for this to come.

ebay carbon frame

got enough spare bits to build it up .. only trouble has been getting short cranks which are on a hollowtech BB. This frames at least BSA BB so i can always get a square taper one…

jamj1974

I have built up a Cube for my daughter – got the idea from here, probably from one of the guys above. Same frame as tomcrow above. I too used 26” wheels and went with a 150mm 26” Revelation fork – so the head angle is a bit slacker and bottom bracket higher.

The handling is not adversely affected and pedal strikes have not been an issue.

It’s a nice little bike! My daughter loves it.

Bez

Yeah, I built a 14″ on up for my 9yo a few months ago (well, actually I got him to build it, I just did a couple of tricky bits). Attention SL if I recall, though I think several of them are the same frame. 26″ wheels with 2.2″ish tyres, 150mm cranks, narrow flat bars and an old 26″ Marzocchi Bomber fork.

As above: it looks quite short. With a 50mm stem it already looks a wee bit small. And the front end does end up steep by modern standards, but I’m stuck in the 90s so it looks broadly ok to me 😉

I ran into two build issues: one was that the rear end wouldn’t take a BB7 brake due to the compact rear triangle, so I had to sell those and get some Shimano hydraulic brakes (I looked up the original spec of the full bike and went with that to avoid repeating the problem). The other was that I had no idea about direct mount rear mechs and had to buy a new one.

The seat clamp seemed a bit tetchy: I bought the supposedly matching Cube QR clamp but I couldn’t encourage it to actually go over the seat tube; in the end I luckily had a non-QR one in the spares box which just about fitted.

Also I think I’ve got a cable ferrule (or two) stuck in the recessed stops in the frame, so I’d suggest not using ferrules there. Possibly obvious to some people, I dunno.

Other than that, it all seems jolly good. My wife had a go on it and immediately declared it far better than hers. Not least because the 26″ wheels on a 27.5″ frame puts the BB an inch lower than on her bike.

rossburton
    Free Member

TomB: how tall is your son? The son I was going to build the 14″ for is 10 and if your 11yo is fitting on the 16″ I might considering going up a size…

monkeyboyjc

I built a 14″ for my daughters 11th birthday, built with 650bs. Wish I’d gone with a larger frame size now.

TomB

Ross- he’s 153cm, and the 16” frame gives enough room for him to have a KS externally routed dropper- without the dropper you could have the seat a fair bit lower.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I looked at these and concluded that the brandX HT-01 on crc was a bit more modern geo wise. The cube does go an inch smaller in the small size though.

rossburton
    Free Member

Oh I like the stealth style of that HT-01. Shall get the measuring tape out later. The sizing guide says 160mm up for the small but I’ll happily put 26″ wheels and a tiny stem on it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Which is exactly what I did.

It came out like this:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-build-for-my-12-year-old/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done a kids build on a Cube frame?’ is closed to new replies.