Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • anyone done a Charger 2 upgrade on a Revelation?
  • pembo6
    Free Member

Has anyone upgraded one of the new 35mm stanchion Rockshox Revelations to a Charger 2 RCT3 damper?

I’ve got a 2018 model Revelation, generation A1 and I’m wondering if the charger 2 upgrade is compatable.

My bike shop says it’s compatable. But everything online says the charger 2 is compatable with the Revelation “B1”generation ( not the “A1”).

I’ve googled for hours and can’t find out if a B1 generation even exists! The RS 2019 parts cataloge only shows the A1.

Has anyone done this upgrade?

TIA

benpinnick

Pretty sure you cant get one right now, at least not in the UK. You may see the Rev Charger damper appearing as an upgrade sometime soon though. Ive not ridden one but I hear its good.

pembo6
    Free Member

Sorry. I didn’t explain myself very well.

There are plenty of charger 2 rct3 upgrade kits available online. But As per my post, I’m not sure if they are compatable with the A1 generation 2018 Rev.

benpinnick

No you explained yourself fine. You might not get an A1 2018 upgrade kit I guess as its not really an upgrade, as the kit is meant for Charger 1 forks not really as a Moco > Charger upgrade. If you can find one that works with a 2018/19 Pike you would be fine I believe, but there is a new Charger for the rev which is likely to be available as an upgrade for Mocos.

pembo6
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve seen limited info that says the upgrade kit is to replace the MoCo damper on a revelation. As well as the charger 1.

I already bought one online. But now I’m worried it wont fit. Should be able to get my money back because the shop said it was compatable. But fingers crossed it will work.

Cheers

joebristol

If it’s a Full charger 2 damper setup for a Pike of the same age I’d have assumed it would fit – but Ben is certainly better qualified than I to comment on it.

If the upgrade kit is parts to upgrade a charger 1 to a charger 2 (I’ve no idea if this is a thing or not) then potentially it won’t do the job.

Ive got a 2016/17 Yari and have just put a Lyrik Charger 2 in to replace the moco (as well as a 2019 debonair airshaft) and the fork is amazing now from my one ride on it. It’s more sensitive and plush in most riding although I haven’t done any really fast and rocky trails yet. Friday is uplift day at BMCC so I’m sure that’ll put the fork through its paces suitably.

benpinnick

I lied… You can get it in the UK. Part number is 00.4018.783.015 and that will fit your revs

joebristol

In which case this shouldn’t be too bad a job to do assuming this is like the Yari.

You just let the air out of the air spring, drop the lowers off (pull off the rebound damper adjuster and then undo the bolts at the bottom of both legs – have a container underneath to catch the oil that should run out of the bolt holes then pull them off), then you need to remove the moco damper and the rebound piston.

The moco is just unscrewing the top cap, tipping out all the oil, then removing the big plastic thing. At the bottom of the stanchion you need to remove the circlip that’s holding in the rebound piston and pull it out carefully.

You then screw in the charger damper from the top, push the lower legs back on carefully (you may need to remove the external ring spring things from the seals and slide them upnthe legs to get them on cleanly), out in the required amount of oil through the bottom bolt holes, before screwing them back in.

ta11pau1

I’m pretty sure the 2018 revelation is the A1 and the Pike is the B1 – that may be getting you confused.

The charger 2 upgrade for the 2018 revelation and 2017/18 pike will fit as the revelation chassis is the same 35mm as the pike for 2018 onwards.

While you’re doing that swap (there’s videos on how to on the rockshox YouTube) you may as well fit the 2019 debonair air spring (also fits both) which is meant to increase the small bump performance and is only £40.

joebristol

That’s what I’ve done on the Yari – it’s so willing to get moving in the travel nownits untrue. So plush. Not many places had the new Airspring in stock though (tf tuned were out) – it was J-Tech that I eventually found one.

muddymickey
    Free Member

Thinking of doing the same upgrade to my Revelation….wondering if this worked out OK for the OP ?

I’ve a 2018 Whyte S-150 with the 2018 35mm-stanchioned Revelation (150mm travel) and 29″ wheels.

Can anyone confirm the part number 00.4018.783.015 is correct for this ?

Also considering the Debonair upgrade while I’m at it. I’m led to believe I could actually fit the 160mm air spring and this will provide me an extra 10mm travel ? The stanchions have sag markings for both 150mm and 160mm variants so I assume it’s possible – anyone done this ?

Thanks in advance…

stevextc
    Free Member

I just put a Deb shaft into my Pike’s and couldn’t get it anywhere…. (according to official RS part numbers)…

J-Tech informed me that it was the exact same as the 2018 model.. different part number… cost me about £5 over “lowest” price and the bloke on the phone was competent to advise me.

IMHO a £5 well spent…. I figured it was the same but I would have always doubted.

YMMV… and no disrespect to the STW hive but …  try TFT or J-Tech

pembo6
    Free Member

Hi MuddyMickey,

yeah, I ended up doing the charger 2 upgrade on my Revelations. Best thing I ever did. They handle repeated hits really well now. Previously, my hands were getting beaten up on harsh trails. Really smooth now.

I bought the the part from the below site (not sure of part numbeR). You need to order the boost version.

Www . mountainbikesdirect.com.au/rockshox-charger2-damper-kit

dm me if you have any questions. The install was easy.

I also installed a Vorsprung Luftcappe rather than the debonair. But I needed to get a new pike air rod (?) because the Revelation rod had a rivet on the end rather than a bolt.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Do the Revs have tokens on the air side? If not you may be able to get a 35mm Pike top cap and fit tokens (if you want any).

I’m doing similar with my old 26″ Lyriks. Pop out the Mission Control and replace with the Charger upgrade, but also going to fit Pike seals and foams (apparently worth changing to with the Charger) and Pike top cap and tokens.

I do still like the Mission Control as it can be super plush on the rocks, but it’s just too much work trying to get it right for anything else, especially small bump stuff. Charger is so much easier to set up.

pembo6
    Free Member

Yeah, the Revs take same tokens as the Pike.

I found the MC damper really plush on big hits. But not if the hits were to fast (eg rocky stuff where youre taking repeated hits quickly). My new charger 2 damper soaks upultiple big bumps much better.

ta11pau1

I found the MC damper really plush on big hits. But not if the hits were to fast (eg rocky stuff where youre taking repeated hits quickly). My new charger 2 damper soaks upultiple big bumps much better.

That’s exactly how I find the Revelation damper, lovely on big hits but it’s not what you’d call ‘plush’ on small hits, and on fast small bumps it’s like the damper can’t keep up.

The Charger 2 and Debonair upgrade is on my to do list.

vincienup
    Free Member

Excellent news, looking closely at the S150 and this was on my list of things to double check in case I do find myself thinking about fork upgrades after a while.

ta11pau1

So to illustrate the poor performance of the MC damper, near me is a bridleway which has a section of flint embedded in hard dirt, which you hit at 25mph… All I can feel through the bars is harsh, non-stop jarring hits. I feel nothing through the RS deluxe rear damper. Hopefully this is where the charger 2 and new debonair spring upgrade will help!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, there should be a retaining screw for the LSC compression knob right? I seem to be missing this in the pack.

Found instructions on SRAM’s site for ‘Charger 2 Damper Upgrade Kit’ and pictures are a little different (and it needed a 30mm socket/wrench not 24 in the instructions). Just mentions fit the retaining screw but can’t see it clearly. No part number for it either.

Contact CRC time then. Just hope it doesn’t mean sending the whole thing back 🙁

Who’s the distributor for SRAM now? Is it still Fisher?

joebristol

Should just be a tiny little Allen head bolt that holds the lsc knob onto the damper.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, looks like I’m missing that. Came with a plastic bag with the top cap bits and rebound stuff, but not the little allen bolt. Only just noticed on opening bag to try to fit it so don’t think I’ve lost it somewhere.

Just wondering if I’ll have more success with CRC or Fisher. The latter may not speak to me direct though, but could send out the part. The former may only want the whole thing back for exchange and it’s fitted now except the cap.

pembo6
    Free Member

Hopefully this is where the charger 2 and new debonair spring upgrade will help!

ta11pau1, that’s exactly how it helped with mine. Really smooths out repeated harsh hits. Such a difference on my hands. I’m staring to get a little arthritis in my hands, and this charger 2 upgrade has helped heaps.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘anyone done a Charger 2 upgrade on a Revelation?’ is closed to new replies.